Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:34 PM

187 posts, read 460,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
This is a great topic. I'm going off to college in a few years ( I'm a Junior when summer ends) and I'm considering The University of Tennessee. Thanks for the info.

From the Queen City huh?..I used to live in Charlotte for awhile myself..Great city..I'm taking Culinary and i actually really wanted to go to Johnson and Wales there,But its a lil to pricey for me,So i came back home to UT...UT is a great school...You'll probably really like it there And overall Knox is a pretty nice lil town..Its no Charlotte by any means,But its still a great place to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,585 times
The city limits of Knoxville are questionable when you ask where should I live? I work in the city but live in the county. Taxes are cheaper in the county. The schools are different depending on the income level of the area. The state of Tennesee is ranked 2nd in violent crime so it is difficult to say what area you should avoid. Seymour, Gibbs, Corryton, Mascot are smaller areas around Knoxville that are my recommendations.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaguy83 View Post
Yeah Magnolia has cleaned up alot in recent years..It still has aways to go tho as long as Walter P Taylor homes is still around in the area...They are talking about re amping Magnolia tho and bring it back to what it was like back in the day..I would like to see all the projects torn down and replaced with some nicer Apts to lively up the area a bit...Driving thru there it gives most people the wrong impression...Magnolia isn't as bad as its rep says it is...MLK is far worse than Magnolia in my opinion

Why do people think if they change the paint and add a porch it changes the people who live in the "projects"?? It is still the same. They trash the area and make it look like the projects.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikrchic View Post
The city limits of Knoxville are questionable when you ask where should I live? I work in the city but live in the county. Taxes are cheaper in the county. The schools are different depending on the income level of the area. The state of Tennesee is ranked 2nd in violent crime so it is difficult to say what area you should avoid. Seymour, Gibbs, Corryton, Mascot are smaller areas around Knoxville that are my recommendations.

Actually, we are third for violent crime, but even then we can thank Memphis, second in violent crime in the nation, for bringing us down, once again. Fortunately, we are light years away from them physically (It takes half the time to get to Cincinnati from here than it does to get to Memphis) and every other way.

WBIR.com | Knoxville, TN | Violent crime numbers down nationwide and in TN

I live in the city limits, in a beautiful tree-lined street that much resembles the little town I was born and raised in. It is about twice the amount of money in taxes to live in the city, but depending on the price of the home, that can come out to be a bargain once you add in the trash, refuse and bulk pickup as well as the discount on insurance and the lack of having to pay a subscription to Rural Metro.

The same curriculum is taught throughout the Knox County school system. The difference lies in the parenting. Your child will get about the same education wherever he goes.

However, the small towns often are underfunded and the school systems can be very questionable. It is a very big consideration when moving with children. I have a 10-year-old and that is one of the many reasons we live in Knoxville: better schools.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,412 times
Quote:
The state of Tennesee is ranked 2nd in violent crime so it is difficult to say what area you should avoid.
Very deceiving statement, in that Memphis and Nashville probably lead the crime stats, distorting and skewing the overall picture. Taking the rest of the state as a whole, the average almost certainly wouldn't be close to that claim, as far as safety from violent crime goes.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 PM

82 posts, read 200,655 times
Quote:
The city limits of Knoxville are questionable when you ask where should I live?
What gives you that idea? All kinds of different areas are within the city limits. It even stretches way out west in strange-looking strips thanks to Victor Ashe's annexations for tax purposes.

There's pretty much nowhere in Knoxville I feel unsafe driving in my car; this isn't Oakland we're talking about here. That doesn't mean Western Heights/Lonsdale/MLK/etc. are particularly good places to live, but you really don't have to fear for your life in those areas unless you're blatantly doing something you shouldn't be doing. Hell, I lived in Mechanicsville (not the historical or nice new part either) as a poor college student and only experienced mild property crime and the occasional shooing away of crackheads. It was the hood alright, but people from other cities would find it pretty tame in comparison. You drive through parts of East St. Louis and you may as well be in Fallujah.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:21 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,889 times
Quote:

This person has obviously never spent time in Detroit, Memphis, St. Louis, DC, New Orleans, etc., etc. I'm sure if you're country, Knoxville seems like a scary place.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:04 PM

8 posts, read 15,106 times
In all honesty Magnolia and Western Ave are really not that bad. I could drive through there and still feel pretty safe. And in all parts of Knoxville I have never felt unsafe. I guess it is just from living there for so long.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:01 AM

8 posts, read 45,711 times
I am moving on S. Hall Of Fame Drive and I have 4 young kids. Is it a bad pl to live?

Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misschocolate423 View Post
I am moving on S. Hall Of Fame Drive and I have 4 young kids. Is it a bad pl to live?
The Knoxville Police's headquarters is just a few steps away from S. Hall of Fame drive. This should be an OK area with the officers patroling around a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville