Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 02:24 PM

5 posts, read 27,583 times

Advertisements

I know that every city has bad parts.. I'm thinking about moving my family to Knoxville and just wanted to know what areas to avoid??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 05:30 PM

188 posts, read 564,271 times
I suppose you mean high crime.

The "near East" side of Knoxville is rough around the edges. It is the neighborhood areas that reach from the east edge of downtown out about 4 miles at the most. That's from Hall of Fame Drive (which is that east border of downtown). Further East, things get much nicer very quickly. I'm further east, and it couldn't be any more peaceful (Holston Hills).

There are the neighborhoods around Baxter Ave, University & Western Ave, that can be challenging, too.

Now, if "blue collar" neighborhoods are a problem for you, then there is a much, much larger number of areas to avoid!

BF

Old 02-13-2009, 02:39 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,232,716 times
Seconding Skinner- absolutely anywhere near Magnolia, until about Holston Hills. I personally have no experience with any other area there.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:02 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,196,423 times
I'd stay out of Mechanicsville...around Knoxville College on the near west side of the inner city.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:19 PM

6,333 posts, read 11,486,631 times
Those places are quite safe for driving through and visiting businesses in the daytime. I interpreted your question as to where do you want to live. Where will you be working? What kind and price house do you want?

Old 02-13-2009, 04:16 PM

7,497 posts, read 17,098,186 times
Agree with creeksitter, and please, to let us help you more, define what you mean by "areas." For example there are many inner-city neighborhoods that are great but gritty. ("Blue collar" someone described them. I like that definition.)

If you're looking for something more modern, clean, HOA, then you need to look towards west Knoxville.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:37 PM

623 posts, read 1,534,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfskinnerpunk View Post
The "near East" side of Knoxville is rough around the edges. It is the neighborhood areas that reach from the east edge of downtown out about 4 miles at the most. That's from Hall of Fame Drive (which is that east border of downtown). Further East, things get much nicer very quickly. I'm further east, and it couldn't be any more peaceful (Holston Hills).
The OP needs to keep in mind, considering she mentioned her family, that Holston Hills is now zoned for Austin-East High School. Granted it's offers many magnet programs not offered at other County high schools, it's still the most crime riddled school and regarded as the least desireable. I'm not sure where the kids from there attend middle or elementary schools.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:26 PM

6,333 posts, read 11,486,631 times
What I remember about the rezoning was they were supposed to be zoned for A-E, but due to political pressure Holston Hills remained at Carter and Loveland got zoned to A-E. But that was a year ago.

Heck, we don't even know how old the kids are and we're already planning their pre-college educations? :-)

Old 02-14-2009, 12:53 PM

592 posts, read 2,124,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post

If you're looking for something more modern, clean, HOA, then you need to look towards west Knoxville.
Not necessarily. There are tons of nice areas all around the county. Some at drastically cheaper rates than come with West Knoxville, and a whole lot less traffic.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:33 AM

811 posts, read 2,000,843 times
And I just wanted to say that Western Ave isn't all bad-just depends which side of Western--I live off Western and we are in a nice area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville