U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:33 PM

730 posts, read 1,663,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1961 View Post
There's an 1/8 mile dragstrip in Maynardville called Knoxville Dragway. Maynardville is about 25 minutes north of Knoxville. Then of course there's Thunder Valley in Bristol, which is the nearest 1/4 mile track.
What kind of drag car do you have? I've got a '73 Plymouth Duster with a blown 528" Hemi, a street 'n strip car. I plan on moving to Knoxville next year.
Yes I am aware of the other strips though I have heard that Maynard may close. Any knowledge of this?

Currently I do not have a drag car per se. I have a 67 GTO and am building a 455 for it. Joe Mondello, and old friend and who has his Cyl Head/Engine school in Crossville, TN did the heads for me.

I may build a strip only car once I get settled in. I will probably be retired and will have the time.

Since I am in the High Performance Industry I have access to lots of goodies.

Sounds like you have a nice car there. Nearly enough Cu Inches too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 08:25 AM

186 posts, read 411,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Yes I am aware of the other strips though I have heard that Maynard may close. Any knowledge of this?

Currently I do not have a drag car per se. I have a 67 GTO and am building a 455 for it. Joe Mondello, and old friend and who has his Cyl Head/Engine school in Crossville, TN did the heads for me.

I may build a strip only car once I get settled in. I will probably be retired and will have the time.

Since I am in the High Performance Industry I have access to lots of goodies.

Sounds like you have a nice car there. Nearly enough Cu Inches too.
Wow, that would stink if Knoxville Dragway closed. The homesite that I purchased is only 8 miles away from it. I still live in Florida, so I don't have any connections that could tell me more about that rumor of it closing.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1961 View Post
Wow, that would stink if Knoxville Dragway closed. The homesite that I purchased is only 8 miles away from it. I still live in Florida, so I don't have any connections that could tell me more about that rumor of it closing.
I will see if I can get anymore info.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:49 PM

52 posts, read 154,705 times
Hey now don't worry Crossville "I-40" Dragway is not far from Knoxville just hop on Interstate 40 and head west...I think it's probably about an hour or so from knoxville.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:40 AM

566 posts, read 1,308,225 times
Hey, i just moved from Tampa a few months ago, and am looking for the gear heads up here. All my car budies are still in Tampa.Could really use his garage and plasma cutter right about now. Anyone know of any local shops that do good exhaust work? I want to swap out the muffler on my F150 with aftermarket. I will provide the muffler and tailpipe, just need the intermediate pipe and install..

Old 02-25-2009, 07:30 AM

11 posts, read 22,608 times
Let me know if you find any good shops. I have been looking in the Knoxville and Johnson City areas for a while. I have had to order all my parts (silicone couplers, steel braided lines, fittings) online and do all the work myself. Luckily I have a friend that lets me use his shop to do my work. I also came from Tampa.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:23 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,196,699 times
Quote:
Thanks,

The cars are out of my league (or budget)

but it looks like fun.
I wouldn't worry. There are lots of people that meet. Up at the Ingles Grocery Story on Emory in Powell they meet on Saturday nights, I think. Mostly not very expensive cars. It's like that all over here.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I wouldn't worry. There are lots of people that meet. Up at the Ingles Grocery Story on Emory in Powell they meet on Saturday nights, I think. Mostly not very expensive cars. It's like that all over here.
That is what I am finding to be the case. While I drive a 67 GTO, I like most categories and enjoy a wide variety of car shows and events. While there this month I will see what is happening.

MY business deals with everything from F-1 to RC cars. I like them all.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:43 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,196,699 times
Quote:
That is what I am finding to be the case. While I drive a 67 GTO, I like most categories and enjoy a wide variety of car shows and events. While there this month I will see what is happening.

MY business deals with everything from F-1 to RC cars. I like them all.
We were just grocery shopping at the Kroger in Halls and stumbled upon a car show. It was excellent. They had a dee-jay and were awarding trophies.

Lots of muscle cars.

Once again, that high-end European stuff is not too common around here.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:51 PM

186 posts, read 411,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
We were just grocery shopping at the Kroger in Halls and stumbled upon a car show. It was excellent. They had a dee-jay and were awarding trophies.

Lots of muscle cars.

Once again, that high-end European stuff is not too common around here.
Do you remember which day of the week it was? Was it the Kroger on Maynardville Pike?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or