U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 11:49 AM

47 posts, read 151,503 times

Advertisements

but I'm going to ask it anyway.

If the SO gets a job in another state and I move with him but have not gained employment, can I still collect unemployment through TN?

That'd be nice right? ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 03:24 PM

283 posts, read 780,856 times
hmmm... well, I think some states still recognize common-law marriage, but if you don't present yourselves as married to anyone, that is out. You can try, but your basis for receiving unemployment would be because you moved for family reasons, and you might have a hard time getting your company to agree to pay the benefits. Now way you want to get married before you go?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:27 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,071,469 times
Red face A long reply to a simple question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwishmiwi View Post
but I'm going to ask it anyway.

If the SO gets a job in another state and I move with him but have not gained employment, can I still collect unemployment through TN?

That'd be nice right? ha
Hi, Kiwi. I can give you some personal experience concerning unemployment compensation.

If you are now drawing unemployment from the state of TN, then your benefits will continue in your new state FROM Tennessee's Unemployment office.

My husband was down-sized in PA, and PA continued and then renewed his benefits even though we live in GA. Georgia, also, wanted to pay him benefits, but it would be illegal to draw from two states.

At that point, both states gave him the option of drawing from whichever state he wished. He chose PA because the benefits were higher. That has been over a year ago and he just got a letter from PA informing him that they were going to send him another 13 weeks of benefits because he is still unemployed ~ unsolicited from my DH!!

The funny thing is once my DH was let go, he was 63 so just retired and hasn't looked for another job (doesn't matter to PA).

Check with the state where you are living. If you are now entitled to unemployment they will not likely cut off your benefits just because you moved out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville