U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 AM

608 posts, read 1,271,671 times

Advertisements

Wasn't it a disagreement on philosophy between Crabtree and Peterson that led to Crabtree's departure? Or something along those lines, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 12:54 PM

6,486 posts, read 14,148,263 times
No idea. He's at the Semester at Sea program now. I'd love to do that, too, but man is it expensive!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:02 PM

63 posts, read 182,000 times
^^ Yes, Peterson's insistence on more system control and disagreements over having the Athletic Department be under control of UT Knoxville and not the UT System caused the huge rift between the two...

I will always remember the last time I saw the two together- at halftime during a Men's Basketball game- the students cheered Crabtree and boo'd Peterson off the court... ahh, good times.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:32 PM

623 posts, read 1,346,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
And while we're at it, I wish they'd get rid of Mike Hamilton and replace him with Phil Fulmer. Fulmer may not be the best football coach in the world, but he knows how to run an athletic program and is still beloved by many big donors and those who love the university.
Horrible idea.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntornadox View Post
under Peterson especially who viewed it as a business enterprise and students as customers he could milk every penny out of... instead of raising tuition and cutting jobs, how about dismantling all the red tape that has sprung up that makes it extremely hard to ever graduate from UT Knoxville? That would certainly save alot of money.

My pick? I would love for someone to track down Loren Crabtree- I enjoyed his tenure as Chancellor at UT Knoxville, and I am not alone in my respect for this man- students and faculty alike.
So you're saying we don't need 45 vice presidents who all get a free car and make 100k?

I agree 100% with you on Crabtree.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Wasn't it a disagreement on philosophy between Crabtree and Peterson that led to Crabtree's departure? Or something along those lines, maybe?
The big issue is the idea of UT being the state's flagship institution. Here's a copy-and-paste from a UT message board that I believe gives great insight:

Quote:
The fundamental problem is that anything which elevates the Knoxville campus is seen by many as being at the expense of the rest of the system. Petersen's a politician, not an academician; he's pursued a least common denominator strategy of spreading resources around to keep people in Chattanooga and Martin happy. If you want to have a true top-level flagship campus, then you have to treat (and fund) it as such, and Petersen has been unwilling to do so because it ruffle feathers in the rest of the system. (You can even see evidence of this approach when you're watching a UT football game on TV. The UT ads these days don't mention Knoxville in particular, referring instead to "the statewide campus of the University of Tennessee.")

Anyway, things finally came to a head last year when Petersen ousted Loren Crabtree, chancellor of the Knoxville campus and the best administrator UTK has had since I walked on campus as a freshman 20 years ago. It looked as though Crabtree was finally fulfilling some of the long-stated aims of making UTK into a top-level state school, but that put him into conflict with Petersen's priorities for the rest of the system. Exeunt both Crabtree and Tennessee's only real shot at having a high-level public university.
There were also disagreements about cutting down inner-city forests to built sorority houses and whom the athletic department reports to, but mainly the "flagship" issue is why Crabtree resigned.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 PM

332 posts, read 1,161,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
woohoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This time I hope they'll get someone who has close ties to the University of Tennessee and whose blood bleeds orange. Enough of these national searches who haven't given us these last three bozos.
I am beginnning to wonder if UTK even cares about "homegrown" anymore. :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or