U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:01 PM

15,315 posts, read 27,455,454 times

Advertisements

Dr John Petersen resigned today as President of UT with an effective date of June 30th this year. Maybe UT will be able to find one that sticks this time. After three Presidents in 8 years it is time we get someone solid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 02:01 PM

11,846 posts, read 32,800,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Dr John Petersen resigned today as President of UT with an effective date of June 30th this year. Maybe UT will be able to find one that sticks this time. After three Presidents in 8 years it is time we get someone solid.
woohoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This time I hope they'll get someone who has close ties to the University of Tennessee and whose blood bleeds orange. Enough of these national searches who haven't given us these last three bozos.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:45 PM
3VP

9 posts, read 15,117 times
I'm on my way!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:01 AM

391 posts, read 1,167,229 times
JMT,

I saw this morning the interim hire of Jan Simek for UT president. Seems like a short fix as he's only on for two years max, with a a healthy raise from $250,000 to $400,000, then back to $300,000 after he returns to a professor. Any thoughts on the move, I've never heard of Simek or know anything about him. Good move? Bad move? Waiting period to find the ideal candidate?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Sold View Post
JMT,

I saw this morning the interim hire of Jan Simek for UT president. Seems like a short fix as he's only on for two years max, with a a healthy raise from $250,000 to $400,000, then back to $300,000 after he returns to a professor. Any thoughts on the move, I've never heard of Simek or know anything about him. Good move? Bad move? Waiting period to find the ideal candidate?
I've never met Simek, but everyone I know who has met him just thinks he's the cat's meow. Of course, they're comparing him to the clowns who've been UT presidents the last 10 or so years. I'd like to know how Simek managed to get such a sweet deal. He'll get a salary of $300k AFTER he's interim president?? sheesh!

While I'm sure the Board will pay big bucks for another national search, I sure wish they'd pick someone from within, someone who won't run the university into the ground or embarrass the heck out of us.

And while we're at it, I wish they'd get rid of Mike Hamilton and replace him with Phil Fulmer. Fulmer may not be the best football coach in the world, but he knows how to run an athletic program and is still beloved by many big donors and those who love the university.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:53 PM

6,486 posts, read 14,144,260 times
Well, for a sec I was pretty excited. But turns out this Jan character's a guy? Hm. Why does the university have to be continually run by old white men? Don't get me wrong, if an old white man's the most qualified, let him have it, but I think a black, Asian, female etc. president could bring some much-needed diversity to the presidential post - as well as some fresh perspective!

And I don't know ANY professors that make anywhere near $300k. What in the world does this guy DO???

Old 02-19-2009, 04:29 PM

15,315 posts, read 27,455,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Well, for a sec I was pretty excited. But turns out this Jan character's a guy? Hm. Why does the university have to be continually run by old white men? Don't get me wrong, if an old white man's the most qualified, let him have it, but I think a black, Asian, female etc. president could bring some much-needed diversity to the presidential post - as well as some fresh perspective!

And I don't know ANY professors that make anywhere near $300k. What in the world does this guy DO???
Have meetings at a $35K conference table.

Pat Summit for Prez!

Old 02-19-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:

“There is not a liberal America and a conservative America — there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and Latino America and Asian America — there’s the United States of America.” — Barack Obama.

Shouldn't that also apply to university presidents? Who cares if the university president is male, female, black, white, Latino, Asian, or "other"?

There's probably no more liberal organization in the country than university faculty. Apparently the very liberal university faculty at U.T. is happy with having another white male as its president.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:51 PM

6,486 posts, read 14,144,260 times
Hm, I suppose, in theory, but the truth is that minorities are excluded. I completely agree with that quote from Obama, but the fact is that the history of the presidential position at UT isn't in accordance with those beliefs. Statistically, it's impossible to find the most qualified candidates and over tens or hundreds of years, consistently have them pop up as being white males.

So what do we do? Ignore race, gender, orientation, etc. and hope that everyone else does, too?

Or should we employ affirmative action in such high profile and high responsibility posts like this?

Good questions that I don't know if I have answers to. This is all relative to the UT presidential search, of course, mods.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Hm, I suppose, in theory, but the truth is that minorities are excluded. I completely agree with that quote from Obama, but the fact is that the history of the presidential position at UT isn't in accordance with those beliefs. Statistically, it's impossible to find the most qualified candidates and over tens or hundreds of years, consistently have them pop up as being white males.

So what do we do? Ignore race, gender, orientation, etc. and hope that everyone else does, too?

Or should we employ affirmative action in such high profile and high responsibility posts like this?

Good questions that I don't know if I have answers to. This is all relative to the UT presidential search, of course, mods.
“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” — Martin Luther King Jr.

When they look for a new president of U.T., I hope the candidates won't be judged by the color of their skin, either. Unfortunately, for some people on both sides of the political spectrum the color of one's skin is the most important criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or