U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,514 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in going back to school to get an associates in paralegal studies. I would like to hear from anyone who has attended school locally for this degree. I'd like to know how you liked the school you attended, if you feel the school truly helped you prepare for your profession and how important going to an ABA accredited school is when it came time to get a job. Any tips or suggestions from paralegals currently in the area would be appreciated too! Thanks.

-Angela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 03:32 PM

396 posts, read 1,163,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyintn View Post
I'm interested in going back to school to get an associates in paralegal studies. I would like to hear from anyone who has attended school locally for this degree. I'd like to know how you liked the school you attended, if you feel the school truly helped you prepare for your profession and how important going to an ABA accredited school is when it came time to get a job. Any tips or suggestions from paralegals currently in the area would be appreciated too! Thanks.

-Angela
Paralegal extraordinaire at your service! While I did not earn my paralegal degree here in Knoxville, from what I hear, Pellissippi is the way to go. Not only is it ABA approved, they also offer a CLA prep course in the fall so you can sit for your exam here in Knoxville if you choose to take it. You also have to intern for one semester and I know that my firm has hired paralegals who had previously interned there. One of our paralegals told me that she felt relatively prepared when she was hired full-time but she also interned at my firm. Then on the other hand, I've seen postings on paralegal boards where some people did not feel prepared at all. I was a legal secretary for 10 years before I became a paralegal so I breezed through it.

As far as the profession, to have a degree, certificate or nothing is still across the board. My firm requires at least a certificate, not an associates or bachelors. A secretary left my firm to take a paralegal position downtown and she only has on-the-job experience. Also, ABA and CLA are both still across the board. More often than not, it boils down to experience. Attorney's prefer their paralegals hit the ground running. Without experience, it's tough to break into the field.

Hope that helps. Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions.

LCG

Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 PM

460 posts, read 1,021,652 times
Like LCG I didn't get my paralegal education here. But in addition to Pellissippi there's a certificate program through UT and there's South College. The last being probably too expensive for the degree. I thoroughly enjoyed my paralegal classes but in the real world you don't do a lot of what you learn in school if that makes sense.

Also do you have a certain salary range in mind? Just something you should study to make sure your salary needs will match what a paralegal makes.

I believe it was LCG or there might be another paralegal in the Knoxville forum that said that people with advanced degrees were working at her law firm and not really making that much. I gave up on the Knoxville paralegal job scene a few years ago but at that time a new paralegal I would say averaged $10/hr and an experienced one was lucky to get $30,000.

Last edited by INTN; 02-20-2009 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville