Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 06:01 PM

12 posts, read 33,554 times

Advertisements

We just got back from a weekend trip to Knoxville and really enjoyed ourselves. We went into the city on Friday night. It was clean, easy to navigate, and felt pretty safe. We had dinner on the river at Calhouns and strolled a little on the river walk (Volunteer Landing) and spent a few moments at WF park. On Saturday we did a whirlwind tour of some of the local and not so local areas. We liked Oak Ridge and saw a few homes we like in the area. There are so many parks there. Seems pretty nice, but I read a few blurbs on the net that the crime is bad in the area. Can anyone comment on that. We also went up to Bass Pro Shops (I can't help myself) and I wandered my way to the tail waters below Douglas Dam. I met the nicest old timer that clued me into Dandridge. The wife and I went to check it out and have lunch. We absolutely fell in love with the area. Can anyone comment on the schools in that area. It's a bit north of my future office, but my current commute is 60 miles and 90 plus minutes each way so a 45 minute trip doesn't really faze me. (I commute through the DC and Baltimore area.) How is the traffic in Knoxville for rush hour? I have a pretty high tolerance. Congrats to all of you east TN residents. You've got a great little area and some really nice folks :-)

William S. Thanks for all the fishing advice. On our trip down I took a few minutes to look at the tailwaters of Douglas Dam. Looks like a nice place for me to start. I can imagine that is a decent spot for catfish. Striper too?

We are taking another trip in a week to actually go in a few homes around Dandrige and West Knox. I'm looking to stay under 150k. Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited by mbmouse; 03-07-2009 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 06:14 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,398,201 times
Joey, have you been able to find anything?

Old 03-08-2009, 06:41 PM

12 posts, read 33,554 times
found a ton on the net and the realtor we talked to has said it shouldn't be a problem. I'll be back in town on the 12-14 of this month.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 AM

391 posts, read 1,355,075 times
Joey,

Great to hear you got hooked up with a local realtor! Make sure they are sending you some homes in the area and not just relying on what you find. Make sure they're working for what you want! Hope everything works well for you. Oak Ridge has some good areas, and not so good areas, as with any city or town. South of the railroad tracks are always a safe bet, and the outer circumfrence too. The inner Oak Ridge can be hit or miss, driving the surrounding streets to check your comfort level is important.

And as for Douglas Dam, there is definitely striper and catfish there. Few tips. Below the dam, along the rock walls, look for slow eddys when the current is on, and a good throw with a cast net can can land you 30-50 baitfish. If you can score some threadfin shad, they're the best, though yellowfin work fine too, just smaller and harder to keep hooked. Starting in April, when the tailwaters are on (check TVA.com and click on Douglas), cast in the front of the headwaters for stiper. Use live bait on heavy tackle. When the tailwaters are off, cast in the deeper water for catfish. Use live or dead bait and semi heavy tackle. You'll need at least a 3/4 ounce to 1 ounce weight for both. If you wanna go out for a day and learn firsthand the techniques, check out Welcome to Fish On! Guided Tours | FISH ON! Guided Tours :: Knoxville, TN | Fishing, Fish, Here, Guide*-*FISH ON! Guided Tours :: Knoxville, TN. If you decide on Oak Ridge, the Melton Hill dam is very close and has stripers and cats too, with the same techniques. The around is the Fort Loudon dam, and southwest to Watts Bar.
Best of luck with everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville