U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 AM

40 posts, read 75,712 times

Advertisements

Hi all! We (myself, husband, boys ages 3 and 6) are planning to move from NH to TN this year. My husband is a union ironworker "rodbuster" foreman (Boston Local 7 & formerly Delaware). He called the union hall in Knoxville and was told that there will be a need for rodbusters (rebar placers) at a power plant later this year. Do any of you happen to know the location of this power plant? We are trying to decide what part of Eastern TN to move to, and this might have a bearing on it. We would want to be within commuting distance.

Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 09:09 AM

391 posts, read 1,168,085 times
The new plant, Watts Bat #2 has been on again off again since '98, but is in full build mode I hear, with a lot of new jobs. It will be south of the Watts Bar dam.
Watts Bar 2 Nuclear Power Plant, Tennessee - Power Technology
Depending on your commute needs, you could look in extreme West Knox for a 30-40 minute commute, Lenoir City, Kingston, Sweetwater, Athens, and even down to Cleveland for a relatively easy commute via I40 or I75.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 AM

Thanks so much, William Sold. I appreciate it! That was very helpful.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:28 AM

By the way, we currently live in a town called Kingston. It would be pretty funny if we ended up in another Kingston!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:33 AM

5 posts, read 12,586 times
Default Watts Bar 2

Hi,
My husband came to work at Watts Bar a couple of years ago and I soon followed. Watts Bar is near Spring City, and accessed from HWY 68. We lived nearby for a few months, but the area near the plant is remote(depending on what you're used to). Dayton has a Wal-Mart. We looked around Athens. This town has alot to offer for a families needs and is probably 15 to 20 minutes from the plant. Sweetwater, they try to represent themselves as a tourist stop, and except for a few antique stores and a few cutsie shops, I did not seen much quality of life. Athens and Sweetwater are both just off I-75, so they are easy access to Chattanooga and Knoxville, and about the same distance to Watts Bar.
Some people live in Knoxville, about an hour from Watts Bar. We chose Madisonville because of it's mountain views and access to prime motorcycling areas. It's 35 minutes to Watts Bar all on HWY 68. (Located East of Watts Bar) We have a small Wal-Mart, but I go to Maryville for most of my everyday shopping, that's about 30 minutes away.
We migrated from Michigan, similar weather to you. We do see snow here, but an inch is a major event.
I hope this helps, feel free to contact me for any more help I can give you.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 AM

391 posts, read 1,168,085 times
It would! Though depending on the ammenities you're used to, Kingston may or may not work for you. Depending on your budget, and living needs, some other areas will offer more in the means of shopping, dining, things to do, etc, with still very easy commute. Kingston definitely has some private land and country style living, but lacks a little in the developments. That may be what you're looking for, or maybe not. Any idea yet of what you'll be in search of if you come so everyone can comment, as the previous helpful post by knitter?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:19 PM

Thanks Sticknitter - That was very helpful!

W.S. - We do not want to live in a development. We prefer the country more. We're also kind of used to not being around amenities. Our Kingston is about an hour from Boston. My husband commutes, as do many around here. The closest supermarket was 9 miles from our home, but we just got a Super Wal-Mart about 6 miles away, and Lowe's is there now too. It would be nice to be a little bit closer to shopping, but it's not necessary. That's why we have a chest freezer. lol
Thanks!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 AM

578 posts, read 1,544,088 times
If you move into that area make sure you rent the original movie Walking Tall. The one with Joe Don Baker not the Rock. Not saying it is like that now but it will give you perspective on who and where the people who live there are coming from. There are still people like that in the area. I grew up in the area and ran the roads from Kingston down past Rockwood and all over Watts bar lake. Treat them with respect and they will treat you like family. **** them off and it's a double barreled shotgun for your efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or