Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:22 PM

75 posts, read 226,625 times

Advertisements

Not too cold, not too hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:04 PM

152 posts, read 332,980 times
The friendly people, Oh! Did someone say that!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Having had personal experience with a couple of local hospitals, I have to say that I'm glad to live here because of our excellent hospitals. All three of our major hospital chains are wonderful: Covenant (Fort Sanders and Park West), Mercy (Baptist and Saint Mary's), and U.T.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Having had personal experience with a couple of local hospitals, I have to say that I'm glad to live here because of our excellent hospitals. All three of our major hospital chains are wonderful: Covenant (Fort Sanders and Park West), Mercy (Baptist and Saint Mary's), and U.T.
I forgot that JMT! You're right. After all the times Bill has spent in them, how did I forget to mention the great medical community we have here?
It would seem that my cup runs over and the positives for Knoxville are too many to name. Did I mention the people are friendly? Did I mention I love my new hometown?
Pam

Old 03-18-2009, 06:05 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I like the topography and the trees. I love that there are woodsy areas right next to downtown. I like the view of the mountains on clear days. And the fact that I can be sitting by a mountain stream in less than an hour.

I love the unpretentiousness of the people.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 PM

117 posts, read 366,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I like:
That bad traffic is so rare here, and not an every day occurrence. Well, actually, in Los Angeles, is was an ALL day occurrence.
That I can be almost anywhere in Knoxville in a half hour.
That no matter what event I attend, the crowds are not as bad as L.A., AND they behave better.
The people.
Dude, are from LA? I'm in Orange County, but born in Oak Ridge and raised in Knoxville until almost 13. It was a great place to be a kid...fabulous! We could be in 4 states in one day. The Smokey's, all the historical sites like so many Civil War battlefields, the TVA Lakes, David Van Vactor (back in my day) and the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra, a short drive to Ruby Falls, Nashville and the scenery on the way, Tennessee is the greenest state in the Land of the Free. I'm bringing my Cali kids back to see Knoxville. I've seriously contemplated moving "home.
Here's my question for you - I don't care for the self-centered attitudes that are pervasive in SoCal life, BUT...I am 20 minutes from Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm, 45 from Univeral and 1 1/2 hrs. to Magic Mtn. We
can surf in the morning as I'm 7 minutes to Laguna Beach and go up to Wrightwood to go snowboarding in the afternoon. We've got Santa Barbara and San Diego just a couple hours away either way and the great Redwoods Nat'l forest up by Santa Cruz to go camping. Are the mountains here as frilly and beautiful as the Blue Ridge or Smokey's...no, but even our coldest winter day with a high of 50 something can be beat with a 1 1/2 hours drive to Palm Springs. It's March and our high today was 85. Were the tradeoffs mentioned above worth a slower paced Southern life with the down-to-earth good people that make up my original home. Were you able to adjust to "the high today is 40 and the low is 26." With it never quite being cold enough for the snow to stay around more than a few hours if it does snow? With the drive to get to the ocean? And you are right - the traffic here is terrible. There is a stop light every 500 ft! The 5 and 405 are awful and the 91, O M G I WON'T get on the freakin' thing in daylight hours. But, how and were you able to adjust. SoCal does have a lot going for it in spite of the self-absorbtion and ridiculous real estate prices, even though they have gone down. 2 bedroom, 1000 sq. ft. condo's in the OC are around $335,000 compared to about $450,000 in 2006.

Last edited by ceeglass; 03-18-2009 at 07:20 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 10:54 PM

12 posts, read 44,773 times
Nama has the best Sushi I have ever had. I would say it is some of the best in the south.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:28 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
UT Sports
Knoxville Ice Bears
Discount and High End shopping both
Outdoor activities
Unique neighborhoods; towns within the city
Good roads for the most part
Cityscapes and pastoral views all within 15 min of each other
Diverse and nice people

Just getting started........

Old 03-30-2009, 05:37 AM

3 posts, read 4,431 times
My family and I relocated to Knoxville 3 years ago. We fell in love with the area because it had so much to offer. The weather is perfect 4 seasons but no more snow is one thing we enjoy. You can be in the mountains in 30 minutes and on the lakes in the same amount of time.

Everywhere we go we are always meeting people who moved to the area from other parts of the country. People I find who move to Knoxville love it here and don't want to leave. Everyone is friendly that you meet and always has a smile on there face and takes the time to ask you how you are doing today.

Downtown, The Vols the list goes on and on..... Knoxville is a GREAT place to live and enjoy life.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,874 times
Breakfast served all day on Sunday at the Market Square Kitchen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville