Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:29 PM

15 posts, read 34,208 times

Advertisements

correction - Archies is/was on Jacksboro Pike in it's day. that leg of jacksboro pike is gone so the address is now considered old broadway.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:39 PM

Default cas walker

by the way - cas walker's old house was demolished only about 3 months ago and replaced with a cheap, quickee job. the hedges were really grown up around it and it was seriously run down - fyi.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:23 AM

950 posts, read 3,191,239 times
I remember Cas Walker and his grocery stores well. I am trying to remember if it was the Butcher family (C.H. and Jake) that forced Mr. Walker to shut down several of his stores.

Anyone remember Duff's or Dunn's Buffet Restaurants? They had at least two locations in west in the little shopping center off Kingston near Westside/Fox Honda dealership. The other one in north just off Clinton, somewhere near K-Mart/Handyman Dan's (?). The foods were really good.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:19 PM

213 posts, read 550,972 times
That was Duff’s Smorgasbord. Rothchild Catering is in the old west location and I think the Mandarin House is in the location that was on Merchants Dr, or it was somewhere in that shopping center.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntim View Post
That was Duff’s Smorgasbord. Rothchild Catering is in the old west location and I think the Mandarin House is in the location that was on Merchants Dr, or it was somewhere in that shopping center.
I wish they would find something else to replace Mandarin House!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:33 PM

Default cas walker

i think he turned the business over to a relative, son in law maybe, when he decided to retire.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:35 PM

117 posts, read 366,676 times
OMG, y'all. My mama used to drop us off every Saturday morning at the Tower Theater. We used to go to a skating rink, too, but I can't remember where it was. Was there more than one near Fountain City in the mid 50's to the early 60's? I've been to Kay's Ice Cream and we went to Whittle Springs pool all the time. There was another pool called Lakewood, but no one on here seems to remember it or where it was. I just remember it was more on the outskirts of town or something. Is the Alcoa pool still around? Is Stevens Drug store still around now? Geez, Knoxville was such a great place to grow-up. I loved going to hear David Van Vactor and the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra, and going to Camp Carson for summer camp every year. Sweet nice southern people and ways and beauty beyond compare - East Tennessee had it going on. I hope it still does.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeglass View Post
OMG, y'all. My mama used to drop us off every Saturday morning at the Tower Theater. We used to go to a skating rink, too, but I can't remember where it was. Was there more than one near Fountain City in the mid 50's to the early 60's? I've been to Kay's Ice Cream and we went to Whittle Springs pool all the time. There was another pool called Lakewood, but no one on here seems to remember it or where it was. I just remember it was more on the outskirts of town or something. Is the Alcoa pool still around? Is Stevens Drug store still around now? Geez, Knoxville was such a great place to grow-up. I loved going to hear David Van Vactor and the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra, and going to Camp Carson for summer camp every year. Sweet nice southern people and ways and beauty beyond compare - East Tennessee had it going on. I hope it still does.
It does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville