U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:03 PM

117 posts, read 320,722 times

Advertisements

I was raised in Knoxville until the age of 12. We loved to eat at Archies and the S&W and Mama shopped at Cas Walkers Supermarkets, along with A&P and Kroegers. I think A&P and Kroegers are still around, but whatever
happened to...... "Pick-up that Free Press paper when it hits the street,
Cas Walker prices can't be beat,
Try that Blue Band Coffee, you will want some more,
Do your grocery shopping at a Cas Walker store,
Say that again,
Do your grocery shopping at a Cas Walker store."
Ole Cas would get on TV with his Coon skin cap, he was known for Coon hunting. Old time Knoxviller's - are any of these places still around? Are Miller's and The Knox still downtown? I know Rich's moved out. Didn't Miller's buy them out or something? I hear you can't scale the rocks at Fountain City Park anymore. Was it due to Water Moccasins? Everyone said there were Water Moccasins back where the water and the rocks were, but I never saw any growing up. Is Sharps Ridge still there or was it develped and has houses sitting all over it now? I want to bring my kids back to see where I grew up, but the tourist sites all talk about the River front, Old downtown, The TVA lakes. They don't mention any of these day to day places I grew up with that made Knoxville home to me. I know my church, Smithwood Baptist, is still there because of their website and they're not about to tear down Sterchi or Inskip Schools....OMG, they haven't have they? Are Whittle Springs, Lakewood and Alcoa still places to go swimming, or are they gone? I'm just trying to see what's still there of everyday life from the 50's and 60's. Any of you Baptist's know if Camp Carson still exists? Thanks for the input.

Last edited by ceeglass; 03-18-2009 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,044,414 times
Cas is gone - God rest his soul - and so are the stores. Miller's, Knox, JCPenney's on Gay Street have been replaced with Mast General (think LL Bean but farther south), trendy art galleries and coffee shops. Market Square is almost completely renovated - and probably looks much nicer than the Watson's Dept Store days you remember.

The pool at Whittle Springs is a hi-rise tower for older folks...and Sharps Ridge is still a natural area - except for all the TV/radio/cell towers. I think Camp Carson still exists, as well as Camp Ba-Yo-Ca.

An interstate runs right through where Louie's Drive-In used to be...but they've moved down the street, closer to Lynnhurst Cemetery. Come on back home and see for yourself. A lot of those old pastures in Halls are now subdivisions with some fine homes. Betcha could get one cheap!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:34 PM

Oh, Thank You, BST, for the info. Knoxville was THE BEST place to grow-up. Not perfect, our world has never been perfect. But I feel blessed to have been born in Oak Ridge and raised in Knoxville in my very early years.

Any more info anyone about the other places.

Thx, again.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:45 PM

1,697 posts, read 5,876,163 times
ceeglass, you might enjoy perusing some of these links...

Fountain City, Tennessee: Places and People Who Made a Difference

Metro Pulse Online: Knoxville's Most Powerful Grocer (Walker died shortly after this article was published in '98)

Cas Walker vs. J.S. Cooper Fifty Years Ago | KnoxViews (be sure to read the comments down the page from the pic)

YouTube - Cas Walker Farm & Home Hour

If the Camp Carson you asked about was in Newport, it's still around:
CarsonSprings Baptist Conference Center

FWIW, water moccasins (cottonmouths) aren't found anywhere in E. Tennessee, despite some locals' insistence otherwise.

Last edited by kamoshika; 03-18-2009 at 08:28 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 08:05 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,233,217 times
Sterchi and Inskip schools are still here. Our daughter goes to Sterchi.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:35 PM

I enjoyed reading the links, Kamoshika, thank you.

I don't know if that is my "Camp Carson." The location is right, so it's probably evolved into what the link shows.

I do remember the Cas Walker shenanigans that went on. My uncle, Art Metzler, was a news anchor at WATE-channel 6 for several years and he said Cas was the biggest publicity hound south of the Mason-Dixon, bar none.

Thanks again.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Sterchi and Inskip schools are still here. Our daughter goes to Sterchi.
I left Inskip School because Sterchi was built. I attended the very first year it was open for the 1959-60 school year. I was in the 6th grade. Sterchi was grade K-8 then. It was a "state of the art school" for that time having phones and color TV's in every classroom.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:55 PM

6,486 posts, read 14,146,959 times
I'm a youngun', but I've done a lot of research on east TN history. Gotta love Cas Walker and his program. Taped right there in his store, too!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:57 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,420,301 times
Cas Walker set Knoxville back some 20 years in development bc he didn't want "outsiders" coming into Knoxville. He even tried to stop the interstate. While other southern cities were building, downtown Knoxville remained stagnant. It wasn't untill the 70's that the Walker faction was pushed aside and downtown started to have a revival. In fact, it has taken Knoxville a long time to shed this sentiment, though I hear his ghost still roams areas of South Knoxville.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 PM

11,847 posts, read 32,808,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Cas Walker set Knoxville back some 20 years in development bc he didn't want "outsiders" coming into Knoxville. He even tried to stop the interstate. While other southern cities were building, downtown Knoxville remained stagnant. It wasn't untill the 70's that the Walker faction was pushed aside and downtown started to have a revival. In fact, it has taken Knoxville a long time to shed this sentiment, though I hear his ghost still roams areas of South Knoxville.
That's very interesting, and it makes sense. I've always wondered why Knoxville stagnated while Nashville took off. Back in the 1950s they were about the same size, but now look at the difference.

To the OP: I live near Whittle Springs and have seen pictures of that beautiful swimming pool. I sure wish it was still there. The high-rise apartment building that replaced it is hideous. Fortunately, the golf course is still there and is still beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville