U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 AM

200 posts, read 731,949 times

Advertisements

Im telling you. That high sales tax really puts a hole in your wallet everytime you go to the grocery store or any where else for that matter. I lived in North Carolina. I would def chose the tar heel state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:33 AM

15 posts, read 47,929 times
Default NC is definitely more expensive!

I moved from Knoxville to Charlotte, NC last July.. we were expecting the tax increase, but there were several other factors we did not anticipate.. I take home $3k less than I would in TN b/c of state income tax. Property taxes are about double what they would be in Knoxville (of course this will vary depending on which areas in each state you are looking at). Things like groceries and food in general are A LOT different, too.. one example being dog food.. same brand bought at the same big box store is $10 more here in Charlotte for whatever reason! Our car insurance also shot up; not to mention the chunk of money you have to give the state for registering your car (a % based on their value of your vehicle; they do this instead of the sales tax TN charges- but lucky me, I got to pay both!). Gas is also generally 25-30 cents more per gallon... I could go on!

I guess the whole point of my rant is that before you make a decision, take the little things into account too.. they add up! Your lifestyle and desires may trump the added cost.

Can you tell I'm excited to be moving back to Knoxville this June?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville