Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 06:45 PM

148 posts, read 305,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Doubt you will notice any busted pipe till the water flows (could be a small split). Could be froze under the insulation also...

Since you mentioned heat tracing, I presume you have copper pipes....if PVC - NOT too much heat !!!!!

Can you put a space heater/heat lamp there (without damage to anything), heat gun, heating pad wrapped with a towel...

Well heat tape, they do make a few for PVC and that's what I have, so that will be harder to find, but I found some on the internet. Tomorrow I will try a space heater, but hopefully tomorrows warmer weather will thaw it out. If not by noon, I will try a heating pad...... Thanks for the quick comeback and I will let you know what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:50 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cycholl View Post
Well heat tape, they do make a few for PVC and that's what I have, so that will be harder to find, but I found some on the internet. Tomorrow I will try a space heater, but hopefully tomorrows warmer weather will thaw it out. If not by noon, I will try a heating pad...... Thanks for the quick comeback and I will let you know what happens.
I used a heating pad wrapped in a towel a long time ago....worked well, but I knew where the problem was on a copper line by checking the temperature of it...good luck...

Old 01-09-2014, 10:03 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
Do you guys pay yearly tax on items you own on your property such as a car , rv ,working tools etc? I know some states do it like CT and VA and some dont. Thanks

Old 01-09-2014, 10:54 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Do you guys pay yearly tax on items you own on your property such as a car , rv ,working tools etc? I know some states do it like CT and VA and some dont. Thanks
We don't. If you own your own business then you could pay local taxes on inventory but we don't have excise tax, etc. I'm from the northeast and Tennessee is something like 47th in tax burden in the country. I think New Jersey is first or second.

This place is VERY different.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
We don't. If you own your own business then you could pay local taxes on inventory but we don't have excise tax, etc. I'm from the northeast and Tennessee is something like 47th in tax burden in the country. I think New Jersey is first or second.

This place is VERY different.
Thanks , yeah that's excise tax .. This is even better for me lol . Yeah I'm from NJ haha .

Old 01-09-2014, 07:16 PM

148 posts, read 305,276 times
Quote:
I used a heating pad wrapped in a towel a long time ago....worked well, but I knew where the problem was on a copper line by checking the temperature of it...good luck...

Well got water back after the water pipe had a 4ft crack in it and my crawl space under the house was flooded with water (hate to see my water bill). It cracked before the shutoff valve, so took awhile to shut it off by the street. well anyway all is fixed

Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cycholl View Post
Well got water back after the water pipe had a 4ft crack in it and my crawl space under the house was flooded with water (hate to see my water bill). It cracked before the shutoff valve, so took awhile to shut it off by the street. well anyway all is fixed
Before the shutoff vale..... Now you know where to insulate/heat tape .....

Old 01-12-2014, 08:40 PM

132 posts, read 191,591 times
Default Our Apartment/House Hunt & "The Weather"...

Well, we left Central/Almost Western NY last Saturday morning with below zero here... Enjoyed the wonderful almost 60 on Sunday in Knoxville for sure! Then there was Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday! We spoke with quite a few that wanted to make sure we knew the weather wasn't the norm... We checked the forecast and packed accordingly, so not a problem for us... We came back on Thursday when it was starting to warm back up again.

We looked at quite a few apartments and houses all around Knoxville and what I like to call "the loop" (640) and ended up choosing Steeple Chase Apartments that was only 2 minutes from Best Western that we were staying. Go figure! I haven't signed a lease yet, so this would be a great time to let me know anything to be aware of in the meantime... Thank you

We drove out to Maryville, parts west down I40, west up I40, and east past Sevierville. We realized/confirmed we liked being closer to the "Big City" was actually nice. Not what we would believe from past experiences elsewhere! I know I read that Knoxville is not like a city as much as a large town... we had to prove it to ourselves, of course. Really cool!!!

With current plan, we'll be there Feb 19th to start our next 25 years (25th anniversary on Feb 1) together and the excitement is building indeed!!!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:54 PM

Lakehopper....So you're the one that brought all that cold down here....

Great to hear you liked what you saw down here....

Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 PM

132 posts, read 191,591 times
Quote:
Lakehopper....So you're the one that brought all that cold down here....

Great to hear you liked what you saw down here....
Actually, I thought I was driving too fast for it to catch up on Saturday... I left here when it was still dark and thought I lost it before I got onto 81 in Maryland! Maybe, it was the combination of all of us aiming your way this past week... From what I read, I feel like I wasn't alone. Sorry, I had to get out of CNY though!!! Just wasn't nice up here at all... still isn't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville