Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 04:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick7687 View Post
Had the windows open for two days now. Figured it might be a good idea to do the old pre-trip inspection on my heat before it gets too cold.. No dice, stat says heat, relay clicking.... No fan.. Looks like I have to service my own system and not get paid for it..

On a brighter note, it has felt AWESOME outside!
That happened to me one year. Exact situation. It looks like a mouse chewed through a wire. Check your wires. We were able to fix it ourselves, even though it was a rental.

No heat for us this year until we make some money!

I almost have that license, guys!

I had the pleasure of meeting William Sold, today. He's as wonderful as I thought he would be. I'll be working with him and oldmanbob. How great is that?

Got to meet Barking Spider! What a great and hilarious guy! I adore him!

Pam, I love the stories about Petie and the cat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Hik,
Grats girl!!!! What 3 great people to have access to when you are learning the ropes......

Petie the Pom is a character and high maintenance too! He very much loves being an only child and he thinks he weighs about 2000 lbs and is a Rottweiler...I pop his balloon all the time when I keep telling him, he isn't as tough as he thinks he is, but he never listens.....
Pam

Old 09-30-2009, 10:36 PM

10 posts, read 26,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That happened to me one year. Exact situation. It looks like a mouse chewed through a wire. Check your wires. We were able to fix it ourselves, even though it was a rental.

No heat for us this year until we make some money!

I almost have that license, guys!

I had the pleasure of meeting William Sold, today. He's as wonderful as I thought he would be. I'll be working with him and oldmanbob. How great is that?

Got to meet Barking Spider! What a great and hilarious guy! I adore him!

Pam, I love the stories about Petie and the cat!
Yeah, it's not a good feeling if you don't know what's happening. The wires are fine, it's something unit-side that I will have to get into, I am an HVAC tech though so it won't be a problem, just a job I won't get paid for.. haha..

What license are you getting?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's not a good feeling if you don't know what's happening. The wires are fine, it's something unit-side that I will have to get into, I am an HVAC tech though so it won't be a problem, just a job I won't get paid for.. haha..

What license are you getting?
Real estate.

You sound like my husband. He's an auto mechanic and it is no fun having to work on your own stuff.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:51 AM

I have been thinking about getting a Real Estate license.. Is it really worth it at this point in time? I know the market is going to get better but being laid off I am trying to find my best option right now. Real Estate is one of those things I always figured I'd like to do.

With him being a Mechanic he knows exactly what I mean.. haha.. I try to stay away from working on cars as a 'job' so I can keep it on the passion/hobby side of things. That way I will actually enjoy working on mine.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I have been thinking about getting a Real Estate license.. Is it really worth it at this point in time? I know the market is going to get better but being laid off I am trying to find my best option right now. Real Estate is one of those things I always figured I'd like to do.

With him being a Mechanic he knows exactly what I mean.. haha.. I try to stay away from working on cars as a 'job' so I can keep it on the passion/hobby side of things. That way I will actually enjoy working on mine.
No, Maverick. Right now I think that I should be the only real estate agent!

Doh! I didn't mean that!

I think that it is probably a crazy time to be a real estate agent.

And it's even crazier for me, because we are dead broke, my husband's business came to a complete standstill for almost a month, and you have to plan on putting at LEAST $3,000 into it and it will take months before you will see any money.

Of course you have to really, really love people and they have to really, really love you. You have to be willing to work long hours and be willing to give up your nights, weekends and holidays. You have to be organized and have the patience of a saint.

I happen to love people, love sales, negotiations, homes, property, driving around, finding things, researching, the law, listening, talking and being able to assess people in minutes. I happen to hate paperwork but hey, you can't have everything.

The payoff will be when I deliver the dream to those first-time home buyers. I don't know who will be happier, them or me.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
No, Maverick. Right now I think that I should be the only real estate agent!

Doh! I didn't mean that!
Yeah, I figured this would be the answer I got. It's no fun unless you have some competition, that way you can say you're the best!

I can definitely see where you're coming from on the dead broke part. I am in the same boat with getting laid off and my side work slacking off.

Quote:
I happen to love people, love sales, negotiations, homes, property, driving around, finding things, researching, the law, listening, talking and being able to assess people in minutes. I happen to hate paperwork but hey, you can't have everything.
These are the exact reasons I am thinking I would like it.
I am definitely a people person and have a way of sizing people up and pretty much figuring out personalities on sight. My Grandmother has done it for years and I have gone with her a few times. It does seem like a VERY hectic schedule though. Where would you ever stick a vacation in there?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:58 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
hik,
Try to remember to bring your crawlspace clothes next time we meet up.

I really tried to not take my invite (to go into the crawlspace with me) as a form of personal rejection when you turned me down.
But it did hurt my feeling*.

* I only have one feeling, and it is pretty fragile.

Spider

Old 10-01-2009, 04:39 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Barking Spider-

I have a feeling no one takes you up on the crawlspace invite.....
I don't think theres enough money in the world to make me enter a crawlspace.
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
hik,
Try to remember to bring your crawlspace clothes next time we meet up.

I really tried to not take my invite (to go into the crawlspace with me) as a form of personal rejection when you turned me down.
But it did hurt my feeling*.

* I only have one feeling, and it is pretty fragile.

Spider

Old 10-01-2009, 08:58 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
The fact that no one takes me up on my offer does not keep me from extending it. I did have a client several years ago that wanted me to take his photo inside a crawlspace, because his friends would never believe he would do it.

Granted, he only went in a short ways, stayed just long enough to get the photo taken, and was out of there.

I figure I crawl an average of 100 - 300 feet per house. It's a pretty good work out. If you don't believe me, try crawling on your belly a few hundred feet. While your at it, turn over and do a few minutes of crunches looking and probing stuff.

Some of them have less than 18" clearance. Spider webs, rodents and critters, live wires, leaking pipes.......it's just a party. The harder it is to get to, makes it that much more important to get there. It means that likely no one has gone under there to check things out.

However, I do get paid to do this. I DO NOT do this for fun. I DO NOT practice on friends houses, or just for the heck of it. This is my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville