U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 PM

15,208 posts, read 10,636,688 times

Advertisements

This thread came unstuck.....like my hair did.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 PM

3,454 posts, read 6,611,505 times
Default Hello Again! It's Been A While...

Hi all, haven't been on this forum for quite some time!

You might recall...a couple years we had bought a small piece of property in Kingston (address is actually Loudon), just off Watts Bar Lake.

Well, in October 2010, we took the cash from hubby's 401k (he was laid off in April) and picked up a foreclosure in Rockwood (again, a hop skip and a jump from Watts Bar Lake lol).

There's a house and a mobile home on the property, and both have been badly vandalized by the previous owners. So we have some work to do before we'll be coming down for good.

The place is a bargain even if there were no structures on it; in a lovely rural area...yet 25 minutes from Walmart and 45 min from Knoxville.

With the economy the way it is, and who-knows-what coming our way in the coming months, we feel a sense of urgency in getting this place fixed up and getting out of NJ.

We're probably going to be foreclosed upon in our house here in NJ...we simply can't afford a $3,000 a month mortgage payment anymore with only unemployment and my paycheck. But we're trying to get a principal modification from the bank and they've been putting us off for 7 months so far! At the same time, they're not foreclosing, so I guess we can't complain about the gift of time we're being given.

I'm sure the job market isn't any better there than it is here, so it's going to be quite an adjustment when the time comes to move...do we rent something here and I keep working, or do we cut our losses and go ahead and move to TN? The jury's still out. Rentals that'll accept dogs & cats (rabbits & chickens can be replaced) in our area are still running around $2500 a month. And the place in TN is paid for. But still, to come down with no job prospects...

We started learning to be more self-sufficient; raising meat rabbits and a few chickens, and I've been working a fair-sized garden of open-pollinated veggies for the last two years. With mixed results...but at least I'm learning! We'd like to learn about dairy goats but as it is, we're illegal with our chickens (zoning) so we figure getting a goat might be pushing things too far with the neighbors.

We're excited (and nervous) to move and finally realize our dream of being Tennesseans. It's something we've wanted for a long time!

So what all's going on with you folks lately?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 PM

15,208 posts, read 10,636,688 times
Well it's about time y'all showed up...

I hear ya on the Joisey thing....took me 40 years to get out...

I don't see many jobs around over here on the plateau...send me an email with type of work...

Last edited by Bones; 01-07-2011 at 09:32 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 PM

Thanks Bones! Good to hear from you -

No need for an email--I'll put it out there; hubby's worked for telecom (Lucent) and alarms (ADT plus a couple others) as well as an electrical contractor briefly, but mainly the other two.

Me, I'm office-services trained. Secretarial...although for 11 years I've been what's called a "Marketing Coordinator" which means handling trade shows, advertising, etc. for my co which is the US distribution subsidiary of a UK manufacturer.

We're hoping our expenses will have decreased to a point where we can afford to take a considerable cut in pay and still get by.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 PM

22,555 posts, read 47,511,969 times
Hi buddy!

We ended up starting a business and are hanging on for economic dear life while we deal with road construction. We were even in last Sunday's paper!

The good news is the unemployment rate in Knox County is one of the best in the state and the lowest of the largest MSAs. It's in the low 7 percent range. You'll have a better shot down here. And of course, the holidays are behind us.

I'm glad to see you got another property. Are you going to sell your other one?

Heidi

Old 01-07-2011, 09:38 PM

Hi Hik!

We're planning to keep the other property, move the mobile home that's on the Rockwood lot over there, and hopefully rent it out. It's a lovely spot with a right-of-way through some TVA land right to the lake shore, so hopefully someone would want to live there. The trailer's only 10 years old and our contractor friend says it's completely repairable.

Glad your business is hanging in there! We've got some more struggle ahead of us, with this economy, I'm afraid!

But I'm glad to know Knoxville isn't all that bad.

Here the cost of living is ridiculous and now good-paying jobs are going away.

Our real estate taxes, I think I've mentioned before, are $9,000 a year on a half acre with an 1800 SF house. The place in Rockwood (4 acres w/2 small houses) taxes are under $400 a year.

I know, I know, you get what you pay for. But not really. Schools here aren't that much better. And it's not like the town even picks up our trash here! That's another $40 a month haha.

That reminds me...I have to find out if I need to pay the fire dept for coverage since we're not in the city lol.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 PM

22,555 posts, read 47,511,969 times
With Jersey you are definitely not getting what you paid for. That ship has sailed. Looks like it is time to come home to Tennessee.

Our bank has gone silent, lately, too. We paid all of our bills while Fred worked out of the house. The month we opened the shop thinks went bad. Construction is taking so long. Photo: Fred But the bank is aware of our situation. I guess they are hoping that things get better in April.

I wish I could say you will get a job if you move here, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. That's how we ended up in TN, too!

It sounds like you will have a roof over your head, no matter what, and an excellent rental to boot. Not bad when you look at the big picture, really!

I can't wait to meet you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Hi Hik!

We're planning to keep the other property, move the mobile home that's on the Rockwood lot over there, and hopefully rent it out. It's a lovely spot with a right-of-way through some TVA land right to the lake shore, so hopefully someone would want to live there. The trailer's only 10 years old and our contractor friend says it's completely repairable.

Glad your business is hanging in there! We've got some more struggle ahead of us, with this economy, I'm afraid!

But I'm glad to know Knoxville isn't all that bad.

Here the cost of living is ridiculous and now good-paying jobs are going away.

Our real estate taxes, I think I've mentioned before, are $9,000 a year on a half acre with an 1800 SF house. The place in Rockwood (4 acres w/2 small houses) taxes are under $400 a year.

I know, I know, you get what you pay for. But not really. Schools here aren't that much better. And it's not like the town even picks up our trash here! That's another $40 a month haha.

That reminds me...I have to find out if I need to pay the fire dept for coverage since we're not in the city lol.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:56 AM

34,785 posts, read 33,861,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Hi all, haven't been on this forum for quite some time!

You might recall...a couple years we had bought a small piece of property in Kingston (address is actually Loudon), just off Watts Bar Lake.

We're excited (and nervous) to move and finally realize our dream of being Tennesseans. It's something we've wanted for a long time!

So what all's going on with you folks lately?
I was thinking about you just last week and wondered if you had made the move here, yet. I actually thought of you in the summer,too, when I went to Burgess Falls for the first time. Remember when your friend went there by mistake instead of Fall Creek Falls?

My rent in Oak Ridge is $940 for a 2b, 2b, and you can get cheaper than that, so if you decide to rent for awhile it will be a big difference from $3,000 per month, plus your son would still have his own room. Of course, you have to consider that your salaries would probably be less than NJ, too. Do you still have your dog?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:14 AM

396 posts, read 1,169,844 times
Hi Karen,

I'm sorry to hear things have gotten so bad in NJ although I am not surprised. What family I have left up there are struggling in this economy and NJ just keeps piling on the taxes. One of my brothers' has been unemployed for almost two years and one my sisters' property taxes went up another $300.00 a month. Luckily my parents have paid off their house but their property taxes are robbing them of their retirement. It is just craziness.

I also stay in touch with some friends from FL and I hear things aren't much better there. Although we only lived there for 3 years, we could see the writing on wall. We took a big loss selling our house but it worked out for the best.

Now that we have been in TN just about 3 years, I'm happy to report things are great (shhhhh...I don't want to jinx us!) It was scary for a while because I was the only one working until my husband started working for Food City. Fortunately, he managed to get a full time position there with health benefits. It wasn't the greatest job but he stuck it out for almost a year until he recently took a position with the city tax department.

When we moved here, I took a position at a law firm (I'm a paralegal) that didn't pay as much as in NJ or FL but a bit better than other firms. I too recently accepted a position at a downtown Knoxville firm that pays much better. I have also notice this year a slight up tick in legal positions available. I just got a job posting email yesterday from the Knox Bar for firms looking for a paralegal/legal assistant position, an office manager position and another for a legal secretary position. I realize that may not sound like much but remember, this is a small city.

So I guess the moral of the story is if you can find anything just to get here, perhaps you can eventually move on to something better. I hope everything works out for you too! Keep in touch!

LCG

Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,816,833 times
Hey Karen,
Glad you showed up! Hows that adorable Victor doing? Sorry to hear things have gone bad for you. At least you have the place home here in Tn. Hurry home!
Things have changed for me too. Bill died beginning of November. Life is getting into a routine for me and I'm glad I was already retired and we had already downsized. I can afford where I live and stay here if I choose to.
Glad to hear from you! Here's to 2011 being your year where you come home to Tn.!
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville