U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 16,114 times
Talking Thanks

Cow tippers..thats funny..I'll keep an eye out for them LOL As far as yellow jackets I deal with them , hornets, wasps etc. here....they like to build their nests in your house because its warm, a good can of raid takes care of them LOL. Thanks for all the input. I just didn't like the idea of waking up with something in my bed that wasn't invited LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-04-2009, 07:55 PM

1,597 posts, read 518,755 times
I'd be much more concerned about a black bear getting in my house as opposed to a scorpion. And even that's rare. Don't let the scorpion threat keep you from moving to TN. It's not like the ones out west which are more dangerous. The venom of Tennessee scorpions is more like a bee's venom. So it can be problematic if you're hyper-sensitive or allergic to bee stings. But if not, don't let it give you nightmares.

Unread 04-04-2009, 08:13 PM

21,466 posts, read 28,332,496 times
Seriously, I've never seen a scorpion and I lived in Florida for ten years. I thought they only lived in the desert! Of course, this was before I realized that I needed glasses. But I've lived here for four years WITH glasses and I have yet to see one.

Unread 04-04-2009, 11:03 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,577,772 times
Hik, I bet you didn't know that we also have cacti in TN! You can find prickly pears growing on rocky limestone outcrops near the river and lakes. Yuccas too!

Prickly Pear Cactus: A Sharp Tennessee Native - The Home Garden: Gardening in the Home Landscape

www.floridata.com/ref/Y/yucc_fil.cfm

Unread 04-29-2009, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,024 times
Default SCORPIONS ! yes in TN

We just moved here from Florida. Our home is in Sevierville TN atop a mtn. its a wood log home. So far we have had 5 scorpions in our home! we have screened off the floor registers. Checked all sink cabinets for pipe gaps and sealed. We keep the doors closed. We check our shoes, clothes before putting them on...Bath towel before drying off. We have only been here 1 month. How do we control them ?

MB Little

Unread 04-29-2009, 09:54 AM

560 posts, read 921,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I had no idea there even were scorpions in TN anywhere. I thought scorpions had to be in a no freeze area to survive? Very interesting. I did see them, even in the house in S.E. FL and we always had to check shoes and such if they had been in the garage or outside etc., but never have I seen one or know of anyone who has dealt with them here in E.TN. I will now know though to keep an eye out for them as well as snakes if out hiking or similar.
Good info folks!
I was under the same impression as you. I lived in rural Washington County for 17 years and in the Johnson City for another 5. I also spent many a day up in the mountains hiking. I never encountered a scorpion in my entire time and I thought they couldn't survive in an Eastern Tennessee-type climate. Guess we're always learning something new.

Unread 05-11-2009, 04:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Little22 View Post
We just moved here from Florida. Our home is in Sevierville TN atop a mtn. its a wood log home. So far we have had 5 scorpions in our home! we have screened off the floor registers. Checked all sink cabinets for pipe gaps and sealed. We keep the doors closed. We check our shoes, clothes before putting them on...Bath towel before drying off. We have only been here 1 month. How do we control them ?

MB Little
We just moved to Pigeon Forge from Asheville and we have found 2 scorpions in the house so far, the last was at 4am this morning with my wife waking me up in a panic. Any sugestions how to get rid of these things? Also, does anyone know if they can crawl up walls? Thanks.

Unread 05-12-2009, 07:46 PM

84 posts, read 141,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbl4587 View Post
Any sugestions how to get rid of these things?
Shotgun. Double-barrel.

I have very few bug phobias, but I draw the line at spiders with stingers.

Good luck!

Unread 07-01-2009, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,734 times
just killed one in my bathroom, but i don't know which kind. it was about 2 in., i kill a couple every summer, been stung once felt like a bee. fentress county,tn

Unread 07-02-2009, 01:39 PM

31 posts, read 41,691 times
i have never even heard of any here......yellow jackets and lots of spiders in the woods.
just dont bother them and they will leave you alone.
love east tenn
been here 30 years........great place to live and raise a family
Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville