Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:24 PM

8 posts, read 28,778 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to knoxville this summer. I have never been... so I'm planning on just taking a day trip down with my mom just to check out the area. We'll probably only be down there for a few hours... any suggestions on places to check out that would give me a good feel for the area? We're looking for a place to have lunch and then we'll probably check out the local shopping, and we'd like to go see the UT med center (which is where my husband will be working). Any suggestions for specific resturants, shopping centers, etc. for us to check out would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 07:21 PM

24 posts, read 123,369 times
You might want to check out Turkey Creek in West Knoxville. Many resturants and several stores.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
i'm headed up there for a day or two this weekend. Plan to drive around neighborhoods in north part of town. Any other suggestions?

Old 03-27-2007, 10:05 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortty View Post
My husband and I are relocating to knoxville this summer. I have never been... so I'm planning on just taking a day trip down with my mom just to check out the area. We'll probably only be down there for a few hours... any suggestions on places to check out that would give me a good feel for the area? We're looking for a place to have lunch and then we'll probably check out the local shopping, and we'd like to go see the UT med center (which is where my husband will be working). Any suggestions for specific resturants, shopping centers, etc. for us to check out would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
West Town Mall is the largest mall in Knoxville, it's a few miles west of downtown on Kingston Pike. A few miles further west is the Turkey Creek shopping area.

Between downtown and West Town Mall is Sequoyah Hills. A lot of UT people live there, it's a beautiful, hilly, leafy neighborhood right on the river and within easy commuting distance to UT. Head west on Kingston Pike (aka Cumberland Ave, aka Hwy 70) out of downtown. Turn left on Cherokee Blvd. This time of year, in particular, Sequoyah Hills is beautiful because of all the dogwoods and redbuds in bloom.

For lunch, what kind of food do you want? Calhoun's on the River downtown is popular with out of town visitors (and locals like me). It's great BBQ but also has good steaks and salads, too. It's got a nice outdoor area right on the river.

Have fun!

Old 03-29-2007, 07:23 PM

everyone goes for different reasons. I don't really care about malls....would rather see nice neighborhoods that we can afford to live in

Old 03-29-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
everyone goes for different reasons. I don't really care about malls....would rather see nice neighborhoods that we can afford to live in
I'm with you! I can't stand malls. The only time I go into a mall is to renew my license tags at Knoxville Center Mall.

When you're up here in Knoxville, I recommend that you drive around Fountainm City. Two ways to get there: I-75 north from Knoxville then exit on Merchants. Turn right. It turns into Cedar Lane and meanders, eventually it will dead-end onto Broadway. You can also get there by taking I-640 (the bypass) and take the Broadway exit, then go north.

As you're heading north on Broadway into Fountain City, you'll hit a traffic light at Hotel Avenue. That's the old, historic commercial area of Fountain City (Knoxville's first suburb, but it's now part of the city of Knoxville). Turn left at Hotel Avenue. You'll see the old Fountain City Park (with a big fountain in the middle), the library, lots of ducks, a couple of delicious cafes, and a few big churches. The road winds its way up a hill. Just wander around the hills. The homes are usually older, but they're very clean and in great shape. Fountain City is a very desirable area with a LOT of character: old homes with big front porches, full-grown trees, a real sense of community.

Litton's is in Fountain City, it's probably the hub of activity for Fountain City and has the best, I mean the best desserts (homemade cakes and pies) and incredible burgers. 2803 Essary Road (one block east of Broadway).

Have a great trip!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:42 PM

cool! we will definitely try to check it out...what about Gay St? is it worth a visit?

Old 03-30-2007, 07:16 AM

358 posts, read 999,184 times
JMT-I am NOT trying to offend, so please don't be but I've been wanting to ask someone why the recommendations for Fountain City. My husband and I have lived in the Knoxville area for a year and are still in the exploring stage. On one of our outings, we wound up driving through FC. I had heard and read so much about it but can't see what the attraction is. If we missed something, I want to go back and look again. What we saw was a four lane, congested road going through an overly busy and crowded area filled with strip malls and parking lots. We nearly got hit from someone pulling out of the Krispy Kreme parking lot, eating a donut and looking the wrong way!

On another note, do you know anything about the Austin Family Steakhouse? I've heard good things about it and would like to give it a try.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:23 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
If you are looking for safe, older neighborhoods, then I think that Fountain City is the best that we have. Sorry, but that's all that we've got. Where do you live? What is your favorite neighborhood?

I've never heard of the steakhouse. I've looked and looked for a REAL Mom and Pop restaurant around here and Litton's is great. I've yet to find anything else.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
JMT-I am NOT trying to offend, so please don't be but I've been wanting to ask someone why the recommendations for Fountain City. My husband and I have lived in the Knoxville area for a year and are still in the exploring stage. On one of our outings, we wound up driving through FC. I had heard and read so much about it but can't see what the attraction is. If we missed something, I want to go back and look again. What we saw was a four lane, congested road going through an overly busy and crowded area filled with strip malls and parking lots. We nearly got hit from someone pulling out of the Krispy Kreme parking lot, eating a donut and looking the wrong way!

On another note, do you know anything about the Austin Family Steakhouse? I've heard good things about it and would like to give it a try.
Oh believe me, I understand. I can't stand the congestion on Broadway, either. (Similarly, if all you see of Knoxville is Kingston Pike, you wouldn't have a very good impression of Knoxville, either.)

But that's not really Fountain City, certainly not the residential area. To get into the residential area of Fountain City, turn left on Cedar Lane or turn left on Hotel Ave as you're headed north on Broadway. The residential area is to the west of Broadway and north of Cedar Lane. That's where the charm of FC lies, all those beautiful older homes that are well-kept. If you want to avoid Broadway altogether, then take the back way into Fountain City via I-75 and the Merchants Road exit. Merchants becomes Cedar Lane as it heads east away from I-75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville