Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:41 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britgirl View Post
Bang On !!!! mbmouse

They are the kind who hire, but where do they advertise !!!

If neither DH or I have jobs to come to then we will be limited to a house price range of $125,00 (approx) depending on how much profit we make on current house. It could be more but if the truth be known I would prefer it if his pension would cover all our bills and we didn't have to rely on a 2nd income because that way you always have a choice about working or not. We have two German Shepherds who need a decent sized yard, a neighbourhood to walk them and people don't like to rent to us, so buying may be our only choice. We have a TT we could stay in temporarily. The logistics of all this is a nightmare being so far far away, it's not like we can just pop on over for a visit, it will be costly what with flights, car hire, hotel etc....

In fact I must be insane to want to move us all over again. DH says this is the last move so it better be the right one because we can't keep on uprooting ourselves. Our move to Montana was impulsive, last minute and an adventure at the time. DH had always wanted to move out west. We threw a map of the western half of the USA and threw a dart. We said we would go to the state we hit. We hit Montana, bought a book, mountains and scenery looked good. DH put in for his disability (took 3 monhs) 2 days after he received the news we put the house on the market and 2 days after that we had a full cash offer, 30 days later we were packed onto a moving truck and drove 5 days to Libby, Montana (Upper North West corner). WOW !! What a ride, what a lot of snow, not for me......7 months later we had camped on the Oregon Coast for a couple days to get away from the snow and thought WOW, just like Cornwall, England but on a bigger scale, I can handle this.......bigger town, more tourists, more to do...........MORE RAIN LOTS MORE RAIN WAAAAYYY TOOOO MUCH RAIN So now we want to leave...Again And here I am prattling on.....this time trying to get the guts for a major move again.
Have you thought about Asheville NC? It's smaller than Knoxville or the Tri Cities and has gobs more money than the Tri Cities (Asheville has a very presitigious private school, for example). Plus, it's less than 2 hours from Charlotte where you can fly non-stop to London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 04:09 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
WOW!!!!
That is some adventure! But you are smart to be doing as much research as you can with this move. In this instance I will give you the same advice as I recently gave someone else here that got a job transfer, never been here and will not be able to visit before bringing all belongings with them and needed a house. If you are hiring a moving company, see if they can store you belongings (either in the truck or at a facility) for a week or so, get a hotel (there are several here that are pet friendly) and look around the town you are thinking of, check out a few others (this can usually be done in just a day or so with a first quick look around) then spend another day really looking at the one or two you narrow it down to. Set up some appointments to see some rentals or houses. If you get prequalified (strongly) heck you can even get approved then take just a few days once you find a house to close.
I wish I did this as I moved up here after one quick visit for an interview, then we ended up in a town we didn't like and took us 3 moves to find where we were happy with everything.
Again, just a suggestion, you can take it or leave it.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:06 PM

18 posts, read 87,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Have you thought about Asheville NC? It's smaller than Knoxville or the Tri Cities and has gobs more money than the Tri Cities (Asheville has a very presitigious private school, for example). Plus, it's less than 2 hours from Charlotte where you can fly non-stop to London.
Isn't Asheville a wee bit spendy when it comes to buying a house. I also did a search for flights from Charlotte. I never knew there were direct flights from there. You are awesome, thanks. It certainly puts a whole new spin on things as my DH loves NC and visited a lot as a child. Asheville though might cost us too much

Old 03-29-2007, 07:16 PM

18 posts, read 87,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
WOW!!!!
That is some adventure! But you are smart to be doing as much research as you can with this move. In this instance I will give you the same advice as I recently gave someone else here that got a job transfer, never been here and will not be able to visit before bringing all belongings with them and needed a house. If you are hiring a moving company, see if they can store you belongings (either in the truck or at a facility) for a week or so, get a hotel (there are several here that are pet friendly) and look around the town you are thinking of, check out a few others (this can usually be done in just a day or so with a first quick look around) then spend another day really looking at the one or two you narrow it down to. Set up some appointments to see some rentals or houses. If you get prequalified (strongly) heck you can even get approved then take just a few days once you find a house to close.
I wish I did this as I moved up here after one quick visit for an interview, then we ended up in a town we didn't like and took us 3 moves to find where we were happy with everything.
Again, just a suggestion, you can take it or leave it.
All three times our house has been for sale by previous owners it took 9 months to 1 yr for it to sell. It hadn't been touchd since 1971 but now we have completely remoldeled it even down to installing oak flooring, new windows, new insulation, brushed nickle fixtures and fittings, new paint, new landscaping this summer, granite counters, marble on the fireplace, just about everything is new except for wiring and plumbing and walls. I even scraped the popcorn ceilings myself. I am hoping it won't take as long to sell this time (as long as we price right).

You are right about doing loads of research, it's neverending..............renting will be extremely tough with two big dogs. People just don't want to rent to us, phone gets slammed down at the mere mention of what we have. I may have to fly out on my own and do some research. Ta for the input.....Where did you live the previous times that you weren't happy with and where did you ultimately end up?? Thanks

Old 03-29-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
.....Where did you live the previous times that you weren't happy with and where did you ultimately end up?? Thanks
First Jefferson County then Greene County. Greene was nice, just needed better schools and didn't want to have to move in town to get them, so I moved to Washington County, Love it here....can ya tell? lOL!

Old 03-29-2007, 07:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
No one will slam the phone down here. They are very nice.

Try to get a couple of job interviews lined up before you get here, though.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:47 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Isn't Asheville a wee bit spendy when it comes to buying a house. I also did a search for flights from Charlotte. I never knew there were direct flights from there. You are awesome, thanks. It certainly puts a whole new spin on things as my DH loves NC and visited a lot as a child. Asheville though might cost us too much
Asheville does have its pricey neighborhoods. But then again, it tends to be the well-to-do who can afford to hire nannies. So if you want a better chance of getting a job as a nanny, you probably need to live close to people with a lot of money.

(I personally prefer the Tri Cities area, for the record.)

USAir flies non-stop from Charlotte to London and Paris. As much as I dislike USAir, they often have cheaper fares than British Airways, Air France, and Delta out of Atlanta.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:02 PM

95 posts, read 569,108 times
I would imagine western Knoxville would be appropriate. We are still scoping out places to live, within the next few yrs, but we will want to have a nanny. We are considering Farragut, Maryville, Seqouyah Hills area....you could live more west in a smaller town then commute to one of these areas possibly???
Perhaps check out craigslist that is a good resource for child care.. it is a free web listing which should include most US cities.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:12 AM

Britgirl,
I am sorry, but I have found no agencies or anything that will help you here in the Tri-Cities. Everyone I talked to that would have the need for a Nanny looks over seas and sponsors someone over and has them live in.
Looks like Knoxville and those areas will be better options for work for you.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville