Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,998 times

Advertisements

I love this- I say it all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 PM

117 posts, read 366,766 times
Another Southern thing, like "how nice for you dear," is "well, my goodness, isn't that special." It means we can't say what we're really thinking, so we try to say something kind without really saying anything great because we'd be lying and Mama's voice along with our childhood Sunday School teacher's would be allover inside of our head. My Daddy jokes that "lying is an abomination to the Lord and an ever present help in time of need." "Nice" and "special" fall into that grey area of not quite lying and not quite telling the truth and are ever present helps in time of need.

Last edited by ceeglass; 05-04-2009 at 09:55 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 15,387 times
why can't people just say what they mean and not dance around the issue at hand. it kind of drives me crazy.... but then again I don't talk all that much. Just when I have something to say, and not just for the sake of talking.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 PM

27 posts, read 93,183 times
wow, am I going to put my foot in my mouth when we get moved to Tennessee. I say cute, nice and have a good day all the time, see ya later, and stop by sometime. I mean them just the way they sound. Anytime someone says bless your heart I will wonder what they mean by that.Up here in Minnesota we say what we mean and mean what we say, not to say thats always a great thing if your being insulted, but at least you know you are. LOL!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 PM

As Sountherner's we grow up hearing "discretion is the better part of valor," and as another poster said "if you can't say anything nice, etc." but we also believe at times "if you can't say anything nice, say something non-commital because it would be rude not to respond."

Old 05-12-2009, 11:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
But you know, for every 3 Southerners who are politely fake there's five who will tell you exactly like it is. And a lot of times you sure as hell wish you were talking to the fake polite instead because when we're honest, by God, we're honest.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
But you know, for every 3 Southerners who are politely fake there's five who will tell you exactly like it is. And a lot of times you sure as hell wish you were talking to the fake polite instead because when we're honest, by God, we're honest.
Amen and Amen!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the entire intent of most southern manners are to diffuse and disarm conflict and confrontation.
the nature of manners. you have repeated in your OP that you were insulted.
did you take offense or was it given. please explain.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I see you point and agree to an extent. But, don't you think when a Southerner decides to be "honest," it's not so much with the intent to hurt or be verbally abusive, although Jerks live everywhere, but generally with the intent to help either the person with whom you're being brutally honest (like I said, for their own good) or to help another person? Such as "dad gummit, Mister, you're not going to speak to this lady like that, who the Sam Hill do you think you are? We don't treat ladies that where I'm from and you're not going to in my presence, sir." I heard exactly that said, slathered in a rich Southern accent, right here in California, by a gentleman who I had to ask where he was from and he answered "Pikeville, Kentucky Ma'am." I said, "I knew it!" No gentlemen like you exist in California unless they're from someplace else." I loved it!
It made me proud to be from the South, besides Mama and Daddy were originally from Kentucky before going to Tennessee where I was born.

Last edited by ceeglass; 05-13-2009 at 08:00 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 PM

Shall we all break in to a chorus of "Dixie." Key of G Maestro. "I wish I was in the Land of cotton, old times there are not forgotten, look away, look away, look away Dixieland." Marysville, you could have sung just a little louder and Fountain City, let's not try to drown out Nashville next time just because we think the state capitol ought to be in Knoxville (even though you're right.)

Many in California, like all of Berkeley, would find me very politically incorrect and accuse me of leading a mob mentality to sing OMG! a Steven Foster song! Well, Berkeley can "sit on it and rotate"...another fine Southern expression indicating exasperation....but, for their own good, of course.

Last edited by ceeglass; 05-13-2009 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville