Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:18 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Yes, really. Please make sure you noted: "When I lived in Farragut". Your miles may vary.
Right, I know you lived in Farragut, but I wasn't being brash - I'm honestly surprised to hear that. I'm running down the list of kids I know and almost all of them had a job of some kind.

Quote:
Keep in mind I was talking to the employers and you were talking to the kids.
I guess I'm not sure what you're getting at - are you saying one group is more credible than the other, or am I just missing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Right, I know you lived in Farragut, but I wasn't being brash - I'm honestly surprised to hear that. I'm running down the list of kids I know and almost all of them had a job of some kind.

I guess I'm not sure what you're getting at - are you saying one group is more credible than the other, or am I just missing it?
Nope, not a credibility issue. You're missing it. It could possibly be a perception issue. The point that I meant was that people see things differently. Perceptions are personal truths and not necessarily the universal truth.

For instance, the Kroger managers comments were true to him. But maybe kids had applied and he didn't know it, or some other reason, etc. The kids may have not really applied everywhere; perhaps they only applied at the "cool stores" or their favorite locations. But, to each they believed what they believed.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:08 PM

5 posts, read 13,186 times
Beretta's wrong Farragut is the choice. They have three back to back state championships in baseball, two in soccer, and have an amazing football team. The baseball and soccer teams are #1 in the nation. they are not snobby rich kids. I have 15 children in my neighborhood who work at the age of 13. That is not to say we are poor though. Also they have won 5 golf state championships, and 3 tennis along with one dance and softball championship. The school was rated in Newsweek's top 5% of high schools with a 96.9% graduation rate compared to Maryville's 94.6%. If your looking for athletics they have them. Farragut high school population:2,300 Maryville: 1,550 Median jousehold average in Farragut:492,000 Maryville:225,000. You do the math, what school is going to have better athletics and academics? Farragut. Maryville is nice but Farragut is so much more collectively nicer. Look for yourself and go see the baseball team destroy bearden high school another school that is better than Maryville.

As for the jobs statement beretta made I think kids in Maryville would want to work at cool stores too. Ohh right they dont have any

Last edited by Beretta; 07-18-2010 at 07:00 AM..

Old 07-18-2010, 07:05 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT lover View Post
Beretta's wrong Farragut is the choice. They have three back to back state championships in baseball, two in soccer, and have an amazing football team. The baseball and soccer teams are #1 in the nation. they are not snobby rich kids. I have 15 children in my neighborhood who work at the age of 13. That is not to say we are poor though. Also they have won 5 golf state championships, and 3 tennis along with one dance and softball championship. The school was rated in Newsweek's top 5% of high schools with a 96.9% graduation rate compared to Maryville's 94.6%. If your looking for athletics they have them. Farragut high school population:2,300 Maryville: 1,550 Median jousehold average in Farragut:492,000 Maryville:225,000. You do the math, what school is going to have better athletics and academics? Farragut. Maryville is nice but Farragut is so much more collectively nicer. Look for yourself and go see the baseball team destroy bearden high school another school that is better than Maryville.

As for the jobs statement beretta made I think kids in Maryville would want to work at cool stores too. Ohh right they dont have any
Old thread resurrection.

Go back and read what I wrote. I think I said that they are both good choices; you can feel free to attack the posts but not the posters.

And as far as cool stores. Hmmm. That doesn't even jive with what I was saying. It was Farragut shopkeepers that told me that they can't get teenagers to work; not that Maryville doesn't have cool stores. And "cool stores" is completely subjective.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:40 PM

187 posts, read 460,368 times
I think this post is hilarious...Overall Farragut does have the better sports teams between them and Maryville,But both Maryville and Alcoa football teams would kill Farragut any day of the week..Heck maybe even throw Oak Ridge in there as well...What exactly are these "cool stores" you speak of also?...Maryville has pretty much almost the same stores that Farragut does ya know? Minus maybe a Best Buy anyways,But i'm sure a Best Buy will open up in Maryville in the not so distant future as Maryville and Alcoa both are still growing

Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaguy83 View Post
I think this post is hilarious...Overall Farragut does have the better sports teams between them and Maryville,But both Maryville and Alcoa football teams would kill Farragut any day of the week..Heck maybe even throw Oak Ridge in there as well...What exactly are these "cool stores" you speak of also?...Maryville has pretty much almost the same stores that Farragut does ya know? Minus maybe a Best Buy anyways,But i'm sure a Best Buy will open up in Maryville in the not so distant future as Maryville and Alcoa both are still growing
No kidding. Not to mention that most of the "cool" stores in Farragut are actually in Knoxville. Most of Turkey Creek is in Knoxville, not Farragut. Maryville has Target, for example, while Farragut does not.

It was also funny that the poster said Farragut kids aren't snobby rich kids but then pointed out that the average home value in Farragut is more than double what it is in Maryville. Around here $492,000 isn't exactly chump change.

So, assuming UT lover's stats are correct, it appears to me that I can live in Maryville and save almost $270,000 versus living in Farragut, and Maryville HS is almost as good as Farragut HS. I'd definitely rather live in Maryville for half the cost and send my kids to Maryville High.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-21-2010 at 07:04 AM..

Old 07-21-2010, 03:56 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Obviously UTlover would like to badly "sell" Farragut and is willing to dredge up old threads from more than a year ago to do so. Maybe it is just summer vacation boredom?

I'm sure when he/she grows up and needs to pay a mortgage his/her priorities will have also changed. I wonder how many kids truly think that as an adult "cooler" stores for my kids to work in would be a priority when looking for a home to purchase? I can just see someone telling their real estate agent they want to buy a house for $500,000 rather than $250,000 "so my kids get to work in cooler stores!!" That last sentence was like being dragged back to middle school! JMT wish I could rep you as I could not have said it better, no matter how hard I tried!

While I can appreciate booster-ism for the place one calls home, outright exaggeration or untruths certainly are not a way to make someone feel comfortable trusting anything a contributor has to say in the future. Aside from the juvenile tone, dishonesty is a big turnoff. For example: "The baseball and soccer teams are #1 in the nation" Neither is true for either boys or girls team rankings. There are no TN soccer teams in the top 25 for boys and 3 for girls: Knox Christian (#4) and 2 others in Memphis and Germantown).
High School Rankings

According to the following Farragut ranked #9 for baseball: BaseballAmerica.com: High School: Team Rankings: High School Top 25: June 7

Just fact checking one sentence was enough for me to feel this person's opinion was not one I could trust.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
While I can appreciate booster-ism for the place one calls home, outright exaggeration or untruths certainly are not a way to make someone feel comfortable trusting anything a contributor has to say in the future. Aside from the juvenile tone, dishonesty is a big turnoff. For example: "The baseball and soccer teams are #1 in the nation" Neither is true for either boys or girls team rankings. There are no TN soccer teams in the top 25 for boys and 3 for girls: Knox Christian (#4) and 2 others in Memphis and Germantown).
High School Rankings

According to the following Farragut ranked #9 for baseball: BaseballAmerica.com: High School: Team Rankings: High School Top 25: June 7

Just fact checking one sentence was enough for me to feel this person's opinion was not one I could trust.
Actually, to be fair, I know that Farragut's soccer team was ranked #1 for a good portion of this past season. They lost in the semifinals of the state tournament (to Ravenwood maybe?), so I know they didn't finish #1, but the poster wasn't necessarily pulling facts out of thin air. A bit misguided, perhaps. The rankings are pretty hard to judge, though, because some states have spring soccer while others have fall soccer - getting a #1 ranking in either case doesn't necessarily mean your team is the best overall.

I think it's fair to say, however, that Farragut's baseball and soccer programs are some of the top programs in the state. Their baseball program just won its third state championship in a row, and their soccer program has something like four titles in the past decade. The football team always seems to do well, but they never get over the hump in the playoffs. Nevertheless, FHS has some pretty good sports programs. That was one thing that really stood out to me when I moved here.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
No kidding. Not to mention that most of the "cool" stores in Farragut are actually in Knoxville. Most of Turkey Creek is in Knoxville, not Farragut. Maryville has Target, for example, while Farragut does not.
Yeah, but we both know you're splitting hairs here. It takes like 20 seconds to get from Target to the Farragut boundary, and the majority of the time people just say that Turkey Creek is in Farragut anyway.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Yeah, but we both know you're splitting hairs here. It takes like 20 seconds to get from Target to the Farragut boundary, and the majority of the time people just say that Turkey Creek is in Farragut anyway.
Not among the people in my circle. Most people I know get to Turkey Creek via Lovell Road and refer to it as West Knoxville, not Farragut.

Besides, there's not a heck of a lot more in Turkey Creek than what's available in Maryville/Alcoa. While Turkey Creek has done a good job marketing itself and is located right on the busiest freeway in the area, new shopping centers and big box stores have been quietly springing up around Maryville/Alcoa at a very impressive rate. There's really not much difference between the two areas anymore.

And I'd still rather send my kids to Maryville HS than Farragut HS.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville