U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:15 PM

25 posts, read 31,524 times
Hey Smokey, thanks for asking. my visit is actually this weekend. Went to a couple of these places around dusk today.

Looked around Sequoyah and decided it wasn't as much of a "sidewalk neighbook" as we would be after. Whittington Creek was gorgeous, very stately; but felt a little upscale for my family, a little too stately almost - especially after visiting Montgomery Cove, which I think is amazing, and I won't be surprised at if we buy in MC (if we accept on opportunity in Knox). The difference was the younger feel of MC, while still very nice. This was based on the sidealks, homes a little less spread out than WC, etc. Saw a few in the high 4's low 5's right in my sweet spot, excited about it.

Thanks so much for the tips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 05:21 AM

12,362 posts, read 17,258,480 times
Glad to hear the report. We almost bought a lot in MC when it first opened but didn't as I ended up being transferred to TX (yay for getting back here). I really like it. One of my friends lives in there and loves it. His brother is a builder and his home was featured in Knoxville magazine. Farragut is a nice community and your kids would immerse well into life there.

Keep us posted and good luck in your search.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:35 AM

2,199 posts, read 4,826,592 times
I think you made a good choice, bryfaz. It's a very nice place to live.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:29 PM

If I could please ask a couple of followups on Montgomery Cove, I would appreciate any insights:

- can't remember all the street names, but I know that from the main street(s), I drove maybe three miles down a two lane road to get to Montgomery Cove. In Atlanta, that might be a deal breaker for me, but is it that bad in Knoxville to get out to the main roads from subdivisions down the two lane roads?

- There is a sign up about a new YMCA coming near Montgomery Cove. Do you know when this is slated to start/finish? Do you think it's the kind of things they would call off for economic reasons or do you think it's truly imminent?

In your opinion, would the public elementary school (4th grader) near MC beat out Webb, be about the same in education? If all the kids in MC are going to go to the public school anyway instead of Webb or private, it might be best to have neibor kids you go to school with.

Thanks again,

Bryan

Old 05-03-2009, 11:17 PM

626 posts, read 876,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfraz View Post
If I could please ask a couple of followups on Montgomery Cove, I would appreciate any insights:

- can't remember all the street names, but I know that from the main street(s), I drove maybe three miles down a two lane road to get to Montgomery Cove. In Atlanta, that might be a deal breaker for me, but is it that bad in Knoxville to get out to the main roads from subdivisions down the two lane roads?

- There is a sign up about a new YMCA coming near Montgomery Cove. Do you know when this is slated to start/finish? Do you think it's the kind of things they would call off for economic reasons or do you think it's truly imminent?

In your opinion, would the public elementary school (4th grader) near MC beat out Webb, be about the same in education? If all the kids in MC are going to go to the public school anyway instead of Webb or private, it might be best to have neibor kids you go to school with.

Thanks again,

Bryan
Montgomery Cove has two entrances, one on Choto and the other on Northshore. Northshore is definitely more traveled than Choto, but it shouldn't be too bad at all out there. I lived off Northshore closer to Sequoyah Hills and it could be a major pain pulling out, but that was only with two blind curves. I can't imagine the traffic being as bad out there.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 9,818 times
In all honesty, $500,000 in a neighborhood like Sequoyah Hills won't go all that far. A lot of the houses here are older as well and would require updating, particually if you like a modern kitchen... I know that I do.
You can move into a new neighborhood in Farragut or Hardin Valley area and get about a 3000-3500 sq foot new home for 500,000. There is a nice subdivision not as far west as Farragut called Whittington Creek that has a lot of new/newer home for sale. They start in the mid 400's and go up to over a million,but you can likely find something in your price range.
Honestly in Farragut or Hardin Valley I wouldn't waste my money sending my child to a private school. Most young professionals live in these areas and don't send their children to private schools.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 9,818 times
Default sorry...

I didn't see that you had already made the trip... Mont. Cove is very nice.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:45 PM

14 posts, read 34,859 times
Default schools

I'm going to add to the opinion that private school is not necessary in the area. I went to Farragut (graduated 10 years ago), but was way more prepared for college life than my friends that went to CAK/Webb/Catholic etc. So save the money and support public education! Also the Maryville city schools are very well known for being the best in the area (and the best football!) While Farragut has baseball hands down... Though Hardin Valley is new, I would expect their reputation to be about the same as Farragut. It is a bigger school, but class sizes are still relatively small.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:22 PM

Thanks again guys. It's great to hear not to bother with private school - it's not that way where we live now. I think I need to give Whittington Creek another look based on comments - I think I just saw the spread out mini-mansions part of WC, but saw that there were others areas more down in my range to check out that were seemingly a little more walk around neighborhoods with the Mongomery Cove sidewalk less spread out feeling - still eying something MC too. The good news bad new on my situation now, is that I ended up getting a great Knox job opportunity, but still debating it on the homefront since things aren't so bad here...

Old 05-08-2009, 08:32 PM

"aren't so bad here" not meaning vs. knoxville, but rather that while knoxville would be preferable, it's hard to get the rest of the crew on board when gainfully employed where we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville