Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:23 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times

Advertisements

I think you are describing a crabapple. There are a million different varieties and one looks like an upside down carnation. Could be a variety of flowering cherry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I think you are describing a crabapple. There are a million different varieties and one looks like an upside down carnation. Could be a variety of flowering cherry.
I was refering to the one that Hiknapster posted a picture of 3 or 4 posts back.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,067,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I though Hydrangeas were called the snowball bush????
I have no clue...

This was sent to me from Centerville....

Old 04-28-2009, 05:50 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,819,681 times
you could live here for years and still not know what every blooming tree is ... still be surprised by the colors and varieties. There are a LOT of different pink bloomers and I get some of them confused. Unlike fall though, the colors in spring don't all happen at the same time. You have to go out with your camera every few weeks and keep taking pictures of the new blooms. I love how buds start in February, yet you won't see "hair" appear on the "sticks" in the foothills until April. Spring is definitely the most fascinating season and I can't stop taking pictures of the color!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
That's a really nice bush, Bones, but I don't think this one is the same.

MBMouse, I think you and I are talking about the same tree. It looks exactly like carnations are hanging upside-down from it! In fact, I stood under the tree to to take the pic. The tree has already gone by, over here. I took the pic 12 days ago.

Here's what it looks like now.

[IMG][/IMG]

And here are the leaves.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
I found it! (gotta love Google!) It is a Japanese Flowering Cherry, or Shirofugen
So you were right creeksitter, it IS a type of flowering cherry.

Prunus serrulata 'Shirofugen' - Japanese Flowering Cherry 'Shirofugen'

Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I found it! (gotta love Google!) It is a Japanese Flowering Cherry, or Shirofugen
So you were right creeksitter, it IS a type of flowering cherry.

Prunus serrulata 'Shirofugen' - Japanese Flowering Cherry 'Shirofugen'
How cool is that? Thanks MBMouse! And that website is cool, too!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:01 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,182 times
Default Dogwoods get all the attention...

These are blooming now and are some of my favorites. They're also southeastern natives. The red buckeye (pic 1) is the southern cousin of another "more famous" buckeye. Pic 2 is the fringetree and should be planted more! Southern Catalpa trees (pic 3) are all over downtown and will be blooming soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Just back from Knoxville trip, flowering tree questions-aesculus_pavia_red_buckeye.jpg   Just back from Knoxville trip, flowering tree questions-upload_gallery_plantmaterials_trees_images_fringetree.jpg   Just back from Knoxville trip, flowering tree questions-trompetboom__catalpa_bignonioides__southern_catalpaimg_5141bloem.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville