Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 PM

114 posts, read 616,745 times

Advertisements

Definitely no hard feelings. I didn't get Starbucks either. I'm just not that excited by stuff like that, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 12:53 AM

24 posts, read 51,594 times
I had no idea a TJ's was coming. It's one of the stores I miss when I was in Charlotte. I am more excited that its going to be within a mile or two of me instead of Turkey Creek or somewhere else (nothing personal to anyone lol) They have lots of products that you can't find anywhere else and prices to me were more reasonable than a Whole Food or other stores like that.

I haven't been to The Fresh Market or Earth Fare yet (haven't been in Knoxville long enough to check out everything yet). Are these stores along the lines of Whole Foods? We had those in Nashville so I am familiar with that type of store. I know its off season for fresh produce and fruits here so I was looking at those stores as an option?

So far Food City hasn't impressed me price wise and they won't even double coupons. I am not a ridiculous extreme couponer but hey I am going to save on the more "common items" when I can so I have extra for other goodies. I do like the Kroger in Farragut so that is where I have been driving to. I, personally, like a variety of stores. Based on what I have seen so far, there needs to be a bigger of variety to help drive costs down because of the competition. Groceries were cheaper in Charlotte because of so many chains and local markets in town.

Cheddars really is good. It might be a chain but they have some delicious reasonably priced items on the menu. It was my favorite place when I lived in the Nashville area. They have a monte carlo that is to die for and reminded me of what I had in Vegas. The spasagna is YUMMY. The spinach artichoke dip was sometimes all I would have and it would fill me up!! They are generous with their portions and sometimes too generous lol It was always a place that my husband and I could agree on when we would go out to eat because there was something on the menu for both of us. They are generous with their portions and sometimes too generous lol Like others have said though, it was always PACKED so they must be doing something right.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:50 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,335,474 times
It's finally here! TJ's is opening in Knoxville on Friday, August 10th. Trader Joe's announces Knoxville opening date » Knoxville News Sentinel

Old 07-01-2012, 11:39 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,187,887 times
About time!!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 PM

29 posts, read 55,833 times
Default Trader Joe's Opening

This may be common knowledge by now but Trader Joe's is supposed to open on August 10 (I think).

The Cheddars on Kingston Pike is looking like it might open in the next month or so

Old 07-08-2012, 12:28 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,335,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevridge View Post
This may be common knowledge by now but Trader Joe's is supposed to open on August 10 (I think).

The Cheddars on Kingston Pike is looking like it might open in the next month or so
Yep, look up 2 posts.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:02 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
I was just checking this forum out to see if your TJ's has opened yet (I see not yet). I am in Sarasota, FL, and ours will be opening Sept 7, so yours will be open first. Sarasota is only the second city in Florida to get one, so I am expecting it to be a madhouse. I have never been to one, and an curious to see if it lives up to the hype.

How long do you think it would take after these stores open before it settles down a bit? And what time of day I wonder is best - I despise crowds and I know these stores are tiny compared to regular grocery stores. Our Publix stores here are so big and beautiful, and have recently started offering more organic items at good prices, so TJ will have to be really something special for me to want to make that a regular stop.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,041,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I was just checking this forum out to see if your TJ's has opened yet (I see not yet). I am in Sarasota, FL, and ours will be opening Sept 7, so yours will be open first. Sarasota is only the second city in Florida to get one, so I am expecting it to be a madhouse. I have never been to one, and an curious to see if it lives up to the hype.

How long do you think it would take after these stores open before it settles down a bit? And what time of day I wonder is best - I despise crowds and I know these stores are tiny compared to regular grocery stores. Our Publix stores here are so big and beautiful, and have recently started offering more organic items at good prices, so TJ will have to be really something special for me to want to make that a regular stop.
Our first Publix will be opening very soon. A couple of more will follow. Our Kroger's are pretty great about offering good produce but we also have fabulous farmer's markets that are run almost ever day. They are fabuoous with a lot of farmers coming in from all over. We also have a Whole Foods opening up as well. And we have a couple of Earth Fare's and Fresh Market's.

Hard to say that what happens up here will be the same down there. For extra money I worked at a Publix when my daughter was very young. I learned early on that with so many retirees and tourists it is hard to gauge their patterns. The woman in charge of staffing was constantly pulling her hair out. It could easily be dead on the weekend and then have the place mobbed on a Tuesday. Retirees and tourists tend to show up willy-nilly and it didn't even coincide with when the social security check arrived. Many retirees in Southwest Florida are well-off and find the SS check to be inconsequential.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 PM

191 posts, read 305,745 times
Has Whole Foods even broken ground yet?

Every time we drive past the site (or what I think is the site) it looks the same.

Sounds like the new 'organic' Publix will be stiff competition for them.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,041,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geranium View Post
Has Whole Foods even broken ground yet?

Every time we drive past the site (or what I think is the site) it looks the same.

Sounds like the new 'organic' Publix will be stiff competition for them.
I doubt it. Publix is going to enormous competition for Kroger and Food City, even Ingles which has a closer quality to Publix in the "good" stores. They are going to blow them out of the water. But Whole Foods is going to give Earth Fare and Fresh Market a run for their money. Even though Publix now has a nice selection of organics in their "Greenwise" section it is not Whole Foods.

For what it is worth, Whole Foods is opening on Papermill Road. I believe it is going to occupy the space where Knoxville Furniture Warehouse use to be. No date has been set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville