U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 AM

11 posts, read 34,824 times

Advertisements

im looking for a custom modular home builder,has anyone used one,good or bad?? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 07:49 AM

23,892 posts, read 22,814,474 times
Look into Clayton. They have a Corp Office in Knoxville...... and several plants in North Eastern TN. They have plant tours that you make appointments several days in advance. Depending on the model. They own most of all the plants that manufacture homes and RVs in the US but not the brand name.... Then theirs Fleetwood, I don't know if Clayton has bought them out yet? Clayton makes a Cape Cod style that's up to 2500 square feet triple wide 4-5 bed with 2+ bath... all the way down to two bed two bath 960 square feet. Some where in the brochure it says the XYZ Manufactured home is solidity built in are factory by Clayton Enterprise

Old 05-02-2009, 01:55 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,056,759 times
Clayton is a mobile home builder, the OP was looking for a modular home builder.
Have you checked into Jim Walters? They build in all 50 states I believe. They have some model homes on the Alcoa highway.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Clayton is a mobile home builder, the OP was looking for a modular home builder.
Have you checked into Jim Walters? They build in all 50 states I believe. They have some model homes on the Alcoa highway.
MODULAR HOMES Home Max Center - Clayton/Crest/Home Max

http://www.claytonhomes.com/about_clayton.cfm <<<< Check out the i house in 2009 link........

Also if you where looking at Log Cabins their is a modular http://blueridgelogcabins.com/

I think they are part of Clayton Bank & Trust of Tennessee & Mortguge Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by d cherry View Post
im looking for a custom modular home builder,has anyone used one,good or bad?? thanks
modular home builders

Last edited by Beretta; 05-03-2009 at 05:51 AM..

Old 05-03-2009, 05:43 AM

43 posts, read 88,693 times
If you want to design a home or use an existing plan, most builders can assemble the panels and get the home finished. Also ask around at different sources for good ones. a good local person has local resources.
You can build a home with SIPS(structural insulation panels) or factory built mods. Sometimes in transit they get racked and damaged.
My small company can build one at a time, and I would advise going to energy efficient construction and getting the tax breaks,using 6 inch walls,and Energy Star components.
Just my 2 cents

Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 AM

FYI: Jim Walters is closing.... Jim Walters Homes Shutters Its Doors - Building Systems: Construction Reinvented

Also this information.... Modular Homes, Manufactured Homes Builders, Manufacturers, Floorplans & Contractors

Last edited by Beretta; 05-03-2009 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-03-2009, 12:18 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,056,759 times
I did not know Clayton was now doing modulars, good to know, thanks.
Sad to hear Jim Wlaters is closing though, I always liked thier floor plans.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:30 PM

Default modulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I did not know Clayton was now doing modulars, good to know, thanks.
Sad to hear Jim Walters is closing though, I always liked their floor plans.
Clayton been building mods for 5-6 years. They build a very interesting 3-4 unit system that looks something like a Log Cabin / Chalet two units on the bottom with a third stacked on top. You end up with a salt box roof and the exterior is either 6-8 concrete faux log look or 6-8 inch cedar lap. With a standing seam metal roof..... It's a top secret project they hate discussing. I found out in 2007 from a dealer. They had their closed show dealers only Knoxville fall of 07 and had one on display. It may or may not be a production line model.... but if you want to push it and have $$$$$$ then they may build it for you... It's called Crab Orchard Mountain Series.... But very hush hush
Plus they build a Cape Cod up to 2600 square feet 4-5 bed 2+ bath and home office... every one is getting in on the Eco Green Train for mods.....

The difference between a Modular & Manufactured both have the same floor plan identical in most cases. But the Manufactured comes in on it's own frame, they place it on the foundation or piers and remove the axles and hitch. The modular has no frame, it comes to the site on a trailer it's lifted or rolled into place, the walls are seamed ,and molding is added and carpet and tile installed. The cost difference between the same floor plans Manufactured say 50k Modular 90K same floor plan. It's the structure and the carpet and seams and tile..

They have a plant in Marysville,TN along with others mostly along the interstate 81 / I-40 corridor

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 05-03-2009 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 07:35 PM

11 posts, read 34,824 times
im thingking about custom building systems out of al,any in put guys???

Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d cherry View Post
im thinking about custom building systems out of all,any in put guys???
Should look at " Panelized Systems" they can customize a blue print for you. Google Panel System Homes.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville