Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 11:38 AM

206 posts, read 711,696 times

Advertisements

Hello... Just wondering if there are any Knox County Schools Teaching asst. here that have had to take the Praxis test for employment?? All the asst. at the school I work at (myself included) were told today we have to take this test and pass to continue to work there at our school. We looked at a few samples that we could find online and they were sooo hard!!!
We have a meeting tomorrow to find out more details....
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 AM

458 posts, read 1,271,470 times
Yes, most I know have had to take it to "prove" highly qualified status. A lot of times the school will provide some pre-test tutoring and "reviewing" for assistants. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:10 PM

yes.. it's because we have become a Title 1 school. We have a meeting tomorrow for all the info plus "practice test" booklets.... I have been out of school for 18 years... hated school and taking test... it has algebra... had to re take that in summer school!!!
Oh well.. it is what it is.... God is in control I have said a prayer for all of us who have to take it.... what ever happens happens... it's only human to worry though!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:17 PM

458 posts, read 1,271,470 times
Hey, keep us posted when you find out your status after the test. Best of luck!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 PM

Thanks! We had a meeting yesterday for more info... of course they didn't give us alot of time to study.. test is May 20 & 21!! So of course that makes all of us more stressed! The study guide doesn't seem as hard as we thought but still alot of refreshing to do!! I am not as nervous now but I am sure that will change the day of the test

Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 PM

15 posts, read 54,230 times
Good Luck most title 1 schools will take a Bachelors as well I believe to qualify. Do you get a higher pay grade for being highly qualified just curious? I was a Special ED TA for Knox Co and we only need a high school diploma but I have a Bachelors which did little I earned the same pay as the folks next to me with a HS diploma. Good luck I just took all four Praxis to get my Masters in Early Childhood its not something to take lightly but I heard the Para Pro test is basic skills so good luck.

24 schools just were added to the Title 1 status I forgot what that would do for the TA's there.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:55 AM

603 posts, read 2,339,161 times
The TAs at my school did have to take the Praxis. They all did fine and said it wasn't as hard as they thought it would be.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:33 AM

Most of the TA's at my school took it last week.. and we all passed!!! Thank the good Lord!!! We all thought it was really hard!!! It was nothing like the study guide they gave us but they said they bought alot of different test also.. so we may have gotten a harder one... another lady took it the day after and said hers was easier than she thought it would be with little math??? There were a couple of people who did not pass while I was there... I felt so bad for them but they can re take it. The Title 1 dept made it sound like a piece of cake and gave us a false sense of security but it all worked out!!! The funny thing is though, in my situation, my part time ta possition is moving to another school!! I was in Pre K special ed and it's moving to West Hills.. I am not going with it though... my daughet will be in
4th grade and I am not taking her out of Amherst to go to another school with me... she could ride the bus to school etc but I am not a fan of school buses, it's just how we feel, I'm sure there is nothing wrong with them plus my tiny pay check wouldn't be worth that anyway haha!! So I applied for another part time office position there so I have been praying and it will all work out! I am glad I went ahead and took the test, I knew the class was moving before the test, it was free for one and I may need it down the road, plus I proved to myself I can do it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville