Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 04:16 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,721,755 times

Advertisements

I can't believe I'm so excited to see a freeway reopen. TDOT announced today that I-40 through downtown Knoxville will reopen on June 12 which is 18 days ahead of schedule.

I've seen the progress just about daily on my way to/from work as I cross over I-40 on Hall of Fame Drive, and it's been fun to watch. In the last couple of weeks it's really started to come together as the stripes were painted on the freshly laid asphalt. The new Hall of Fame bridge and the word "K N O X V I L L E" bolted to it will make quite an entrance to our fair city coming from the east.

On the evening of Thursday June 11 they're going to hold a foot race and a fun walk for anyone who wants to run/walk on the new stretch of interstate before it opens to traffic. I think it sounds fun, and I can't imagine when we'll ever have the opportunity to walk in the middle of an interstate ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 04:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,050,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I can't believe I'm so excited to see a freeway reopen. TDOT announced today that I-40 through downtown Knoxville will reopen on June 12 which is 18 days ahead of schedule.

I've seen the progress just about daily on my way to/from work as I cross over I-40 on Hall of Fame Drive, and it's been fun to watch. In the last couple of weeks it's really started to come together as the stripes were painted on the freshly laid asphalt. The new Hall of Fame bridge and the word "K N O X V I L L E" bolted to it will make quite an entrance to our fair city coming from the east.

On the evening of Thursday June 11 they're going to hold a foot race and a fun walk for anyone who wants to run/walk on the new stretch of interstate before it opens to traffic. I think it sounds fun, and I can't imagine when we'll ever have the opportunity to walk in the middle of an interstate ever again.
That is so cool! I actually thought that the highway wouldn't reopen until the fall. Isn't that what they originally had planned? Anyhow, I think that sounds like a lot of fun. I bet all the news stations will be there. I remember when they closed it they had Hallerin Hilton Hill do his radio broadcast from the middle of the interstate. Funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville