Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj5773 View Post
Absolutely no comparison. I never suggested that it did. The original discussion was on what winters are really like. Even up on the ridges around 1200 or 1300' can be a difference from 800 or 900' as far as winter weather. Not much but just enough. I experienced this when living there. All in all, I believe East TN offers a very nice balance of weather with all four seasons. Of course, this is just my opinion
Oh, gotcha! I spent a long time on here trying to explain to locals that even when there was "more" snow it was immaterial to someone from up north. Their "more" was laughable to us.

Oh wait...aren't you a native?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cycholl View Post
Try to live in Fairbanks Alaska. I was up there when it reached -60 degrees (that's minus) and that's when I learned it will not snow anything more than 20 degrees. Summers were nice, especially when you can walk outside and play baseball at 2 am in the morning and did not need street lights. In the winter throw a glass of water in the air and watch it come down....... The winters are light here.....
And there you have it. There is always someone that can best ya!

I think people like to feel that live in a unique area and everyone talks about the weather. It's safer than religion and politics. So they like to brag on how cold the winter was or how much snow they got and but really, it isn't very exciting. To someone up north, they barely have a winter. But it is about perspective. If you are coming from California then the humidity is going to be awful. And frankly, if I had come directly from New England I probably would have thought it was hot as hell. And if you've lived in Florida all of your life than you could think it is freezing like the dickens in the winter here. Or Southern California!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM

122 posts, read 263,538 times
No, I'm not a native to East TN. However, I did live in Knoxville and also have lived in McMinnville. I actually grew up in north MS -- Amory and Olive Branch.

The only thing that I don't like is the humidity. That can't be changed. But, there is no comparison between west TN humidity and east TN humidity or north MS humidity. Of course, the temperatures are tempered in the mountainous areas of East TN which makes the humidity more bearable.

Hopefully, one of these days I will be able to move back to God's country. Been doing a ton of research.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:32 PM

148 posts, read 305,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh, gotcha! I spent a long time on here trying to explain to locals that even when there was "more" snow it was immaterial to someone from up north. Their "more" was laughable to us.

Oh wait...aren't you a native?

And there you have it. There is always someone that can best ya!

I think people like to feel that live in a unique area and everyone talks about the weather. It's safer than religion and politics. So they like to brag on how cold the winter was or how much snow they got and but really, it isn't very exciting. To someone up north, they barely have a winter. But it is about perspective. If you are coming from California then the humidity is going to be awful. And frankly, if I had come directly from New England I probably would have thought it was hot as hell. And if you've lived in Florida all of your life than you could think it is freezing like the dickens in the winter here. Or Southern California!

When I lived in the Pittsburgh area, I used to go on vacation to Florida every year in the March / April timeframe. I usually went to Kissimmee area and in the evening I took a dip in the Pool. People thought I was nuts for swimming in just cold water. I was confused. The air outside was a nice 75 degrees. You are right, its whats people are used to......

Old 08-07-2013, 01:38 PM

I used to live in Orlando...then I moved to Southwest Florida. I'm not talking about Orlando in March or April. Try Naples from May to October. THAT'S hot. It makes bdj's Mississippi summer look like early springtime. I can remember wearing a winter coat when it was 60 degrees. You eventually adapt.

Or not.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM

Everything is relative. I live near St. Louis currently and last summer was a beast. I mean we had temps well over a 100 for several days. In fact, there were a few days that it hit between 105 and 107. How hot did it get in Knoxville last summer?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:21 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj5773 View Post
Everything is relative. I live near St. Louis currently and last summer was a beast. I mean we had temps well over a 100 for several days. In fact, there were a few days that it hit between 105 and 107. How hot did it get in Knoxville last summer?

There were four days above 100 in 2012, two of them, June 30 and July 1, set all-time record highs of 105 degrees. 60+ days of 90+ in 2012 and 70+ days of 90+ in 2011, if I remember correctly. Contrast that with this year of only 7 days above 90, thus far.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Wow, I'm glad we weren't here last summer! This summer has been a piece of cake. Of course I come from DRY northern CA where it is normally 90+ almost everyday for 4 months a year and doesn't rain for the same 4 months. East Tenn has been beautiful so far, if a little wet...

Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 AM

Those are amazing temperatures especially for East TN. 105 near the mountains is incredible. So many cities in the central and eastern part of the country broke all time record highs last year. What a difference a year makes. Wasn't this thread about what winter is REALLY like

Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 AM

79 posts, read 121,103 times
I am up on the KY,VA Tn line in Claiborne Co. and we get a little more snow than Knox Co. but I would not call it a lot and I am from S. Florida. As many have said it is a relative thing. I had a hard time accepting this was still the south since there is some snow. We have four seasons here and none are extreme, love E Tn.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:24 PM

This is an interesting webpage. It kind of blows the "it used to snow a lot" phrase out the window. From 1943 to 1982 the average snowfall per season was 5.8 inches. This will open the discussion up to the 1993 freak storm that was actually called "The storm of the century." East Tennesseans love to hang their hats on that storm but it will never make up for 60, 70, 80, 90 inches a season.

KNOXVILLE UNIV OF TENN, TENNESSEE - Climate Summary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville