Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:20 PM

11 posts, read 79,241 times

Advertisements

Hello to you all!

My wife and I have just recently moved to Knoxville. We are so happy to be here - what a beautiful, wonderful city! We are originally from Colorado but have spent the last 5 years or so in SE Asia and have just recently returned to the US.

We will be closing on a house in south Knoxville near McKlung Ave. towards the end of the month and are trying to get needed services in order. Does anyone have advice on local internet providers? From what we can see the three main providers seem to be ATT, Comcast and Knoxology. We are mainly interested in fast, reliable internet service as we don't watch TV and use Skype for most of our calls.

Opinions?

Appreciate your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 03:23 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Welcome back to the US and welcome to the forum!

(sorry, I can't help with your question but I am sure others will chime in)

Old 05-17-2009, 04:01 PM

592 posts, read 2,134,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23cricket View Post
Hello to you all!

My wife and I have just recently moved to Knoxville. We are so happy to be here - what a beautiful, wonderful city! We are originally from Colorado but have spent the last 5 years or so in SE Asia and have just recently returned to the US.

We will be closing on a house in south Knoxville near McKlung Ave. towards the end of the month and are trying to get needed services in order. Does anyone have advice on local internet providers? From what we can see the three main providers seem to be ATT, Comcast and Knoxology. We are mainly interested in fast, reliable internet service as we don't watch TV and use Skype for most of our calls.

Opinions?

Appreciate your input!

We've had pretty good luck with AT&T DSL.

I'm pretty sure Comcast will really bump your rate on cable internet if you don't have cable.

No idea on Knology.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 PM

SMG - Thank you for your good wishes!

mjb - Thank you too! What sort of speeds are you getting with ATT? They and Knology seem to be close to each other on price. Agree with you on Comcast rates - They seem the most expensive AND after you are with them for 6 months they raise thier price! That being said, we are using Comcast now in our temporary appartment. The install was very professional, timely and painless (nice!) and they are very very fast with lots of bandwidth.

~D

Old 05-17-2009, 08:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23cricket View Post
SMG - Thank you for your good wishes!

mjb - Thank you too! What sort of speeds are you getting with ATT? They and Knology seem to be close to each other on price. Agree with you on Comcast rates - They seem the most expensive AND after you are with them for 6 months they raise thier price! That being said, we are using Comcast now in our temporary appartment. The install was very professional, timely and painless (nice!) and they are very very fast with lots of bandwidth.

~D
Just to chime in. No, after six months we do not raise our price. You may have had a promotional price that ended after six months, though. Glad that you had an excellent installation and liked our super-fast speed.

And welcome home to Knoxville, Tennessee!

Old 05-17-2009, 08:33 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Just to chime in. No, after six months we do not raise our price. You may have had a promotional price that ended after six months, though. Glad that you had an excellent installation and liked our super-fast speed.

And welcome home to Knoxville, Tennessee!
I love Comcast! I will never have DSL ever again in my life. I've been very happy with my service with Comcast!

Old 05-17-2009, 09:43 PM

207 posts, read 643,143 times
I also had Comcast before moving and was quite pleased with it. It was far faster than my previous DSL connection.

Note that they do impose a nebulously defined per-month bandwidth cap, so you may want to watch for that if you are heavy users (especially if you stream movies).

Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothertntony View Post
I also had Comcast before moving and was quite pleased with it. It was far faster than my previous DSL connection.

Note that they do impose a nebulously defined per-month bandwidth cap, so you may want to watch for that if you are heavy users (especially if you stream movies).
We consider excessive usage to be 250 GB of monthly data usage. This far exceeds the average user.

To reach 250 GB in a month, for example, a customer would have to do any of the following:

* Send 50 million plain text emails (at 5KB/email)
* Download 62,500 songs (at 4 MB/song)
* Download 125 standard-definition movies (at 2 GB/movie)
* Upload 25,000 hi-resolution digital photos (at 10 MB/photo)

There are very few excessive users. The vast majority—more than 99%--of Comcast customers are not excessive users and do not need to be concerned with excessive use.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:35 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments - they are appreciated!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:17 PM

391 posts, read 1,359,327 times
Quote:
We consider excessive usage to be 250 GB of monthly data usage. This far exceeds the average user.
Ha!!! 250 GB a month? I wish I could even come close to getting that. We're currently on 55 acres out in Hardin Valley, the land of no high speed cable, no DSL, etc.....We've been on Hughes satellite internet for a few months with........250 MB daily limits. What a joke. As a realtor, that's 15-20 MLS reports, then caput. Now we're on the new Verizon mifi card, as it can run wifi on up to 5 computers. And we've been bumped up to 50 GB per month. Much better than 250 MB per day, but still.........I'll take that 250 and be happy as could be...

p.s. no one ever use Hughes satellite internet, they are a joke in customer sevice..now Napster, any pull on getting Comcast to run out here (I know, I know, it's the Charter side of town...they're a joke too)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville