Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:00 AM

75 posts, read 226,494 times

Advertisements

I would place pins on the map where you and your husband are going to work, and then pick areas that would be within both of your comfort zones for commute times. There will be no shortage of choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 10:55 PM

623 posts, read 1,541,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsgirl View Post
Hi Guys:
My husband and I could possible be moving to Knoxville for his choice of college-vet school. I have been trying to read post, craigslist anything i can to look @ what areas are best for us. We are 30, no kids, just 4 dogs and I am from Alabama/he is Cali. We have been living in Fl for the past yr and are about to go crazy. We love outdoors and hubby is a huge outdoorsman. Duck hunting, fly-fishing, anything that he can do to be outside. Is there alot of those things for him to do? Sorry, back to the areas. Our price range is 300-500k and we are wanting to live somewhere that we can @ least have 1/2. I am an Esthetician and he is a student. I appreciate all of your help!!
Keep in mind most who regularly hike and fly fish in the GSMNP enter in Townsend in Blount County rather than Sevierville. It's much easier and about a trillion times more peaceful. Maryville (Blount Co) is about 20-25 minutes from UT Vet school and 20-25 to Townsend. I'd look at homes in Maryville and in the county east of the city.

South Knoxville would place you 5-15 minutes from the Vet school and about 45-60 to Townsend. A huge advantage to South Knox is it's proximity to downtown.

Because of Pellissippi Parkway, it's actually a bit of a quicker trip to Townsend from much of West Knoxville and Farragut than South Knoxville. It'll take you about 40-55 to get to Townsend and 25 to the Vet school/downtown.

Of course the entire Knoxville outdoor scene doesn't revolved around the Smokies, but just thought I'd throw that in. One could also argue that areas of north Knox county are much, much more fitting for an outdoorsman. Heck, if he doesn't mind the drive, look at Norris Lake.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 AM

37 posts, read 214,820 times
Thanks guys. We have been looking @ the maryville and strawberry hill area. Both are so beautiful. I actually just got a phone call from an Aveda salon in knoxville. I know that they have 3 locations. I appreciate all of your comments and help

Old 05-25-2009, 01:25 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
I love Aveda. I was so happy that we have some here. I know there is one in Bearden.
Salon Visage is probably the biggest day spa type place. That's in West Knoxville.
Keep in mind that in Knoxville, you're surrounded by mountains and lakes. You don't have to get out of the city to enjoy them. They're right here. Driving downtown on the interstate you get a great view of the Smokies.
A 10-15 minute drive will put you in the country or on a mountain or in a lake or river. We've got lots of greenways and blueways throughout the city.
We've got great parks everywhere and tons of marinas. If you want white water, the Obed Wild and Scenic River area is a 45 minute drive to the northwest.
You don't have to live in the country to see it every day.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 AM

394 posts, read 794,096 times
Come down and visit, like Bob said. The only way to find the area that's right for you. In your price range you'll find lot's properties to consider.

When I was searching I went to many areas that looked appealing or were recommended. Many were just not "my cup of tea".

Old 05-27-2009, 08:57 AM

37 posts, read 214,820 times
I actually got a phone call today from Natural Alternatives-Aveda Salon. Does anyone know about them?

Old 05-27-2009, 10:24 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
No! I want to know, too! Do they give great haircuts? I really need one!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:39 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
I haven't been to it, spa-ing hasn't been in the budget, but I have bought Aveda products from the one on Western Plaza. It's a nice salon.
They've got one in Western Plaza, one in West Town Mall and one in Turkey Creek (far west Knoxville)
I'd look for a place in Sequoyah Hills. It would be convenient to all the salons and biking distance to UT. Zip code is 37919. It's an older area with a variety of houses, right on the river, has it's own little village, a wonderful farmers' market in season, lots of greenways. Forest Hills, also in that zip code, would be another good choice in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville