U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-28-2009, 09:36 PM

49 posts, read 148,049 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a recommendation for who to hire to do a preventive Termidor termite treatment?

From what I hear it's the best treatment option, even though many companies (include Arrow, who I just met with) push the bait station programs. I'm guessing that's because they get to come "visit" frequently to check said bait stations.

Other thoughts on the subject are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:15 AM

Ok, let me completely rephrase that question, after thinking about it some more...

What is your philosophy on keeping termites out? We've owned our home for a little over a year. I saw a bunch of termite swarmers outside around the house the other day and freaked out. Nothing inside as far as I know.

I used to think that a preventive Termidor treatment was a no-brainer (had it done to the last house), but now that the wife is pregnant I started thinking about the safety aspect. Apparently a crawl space home should be treated around the permiter, both outside and and inside the foundation walls. Outside sounds fine, but 100 gallons (?) of poison in the crawl space makes me uncomfortable. Won't there be toxic fumes that leak into the home? At the old house they actually only did it outside... Is that effective?

I'd love to just with a baiting system like Sentricon, if I thought it worked, but I don't...

Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,681 posts, read 11,794,378 times
When I lived in GA a few years ago we had a termite infestation. I did a whole lot of investigation and found Termidor to be the best choice. I was in contact with a pest expert on a termite forum who answered anyones questions and I then double checked them with more research and the main items I found were:

1. Use an independant pest contractor not a national chain as the national chains have been accused repeatedly of cheating by spraying water (instead of poison) or weak chems (look up complaints on the 'net).

2. Verify that they have brought a sealed bottle of Termidor and watch them pour it in an empty tank. Termidor is more expensive than other chemicals and companies (I won't name 'em here, but there's plenty of info out there) have been known to bring out an opened bottle that's been filled with water or diluted or just plain empty.

3. The bait system is a way for a pest company to generate ongoing revenue and that's about all. It really doesn't work all that well. I could find no real proof that it does and plenty that say it doesn't.

The day we sprayed and injected the Termidor under the foundation was the last day we saw termites. I made sure they emptied the tank since I paid for all of it and watched them unseal the bottle and pour it in.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Thanks, jimj! So you got the ground both inside and outside of the foundation wall treated then, right?

What about the rest of you Knoxvillians, do you do preventive treatments, or do you wait until there's a problem?

Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 10,603 times
This thread seems to be kinda old, but I thought I would leave a comment. As to Termidor, it is definately one of the best treatments, IMO it is the best. What I wanted to comment was that last I heard, that Termidor is labeled to do whats called a perimeter treatment, where just the outer perimeter and piers underneath are treated. Though I would venture to say for the price of a perimeter treatment and a full treatment I would go with the full treatment. I worked 10 years as a Termite technician and when the company I worked for changed to Termidor, we noticed a significant drop in the call backs for reinfestation in subsequent years.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:34 PM

12,535 posts, read 18,288,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TermiteTech View Post
This thread seems to be kinda old, but I thought I would leave a comment. As to Termidor, it is definately one of the best treatments, IMO it is the best. What I wanted to comment was that last I heard, that Termidor is labeled to do whats called a perimeter treatment, where just the outer perimeter and piers underneath are treated. Though I would venture to say for the price of a perimeter treatment and a full treatment I would go with the full treatment. I worked 10 years as a Termite technician and when the company I worked for changed to Termidor, we noticed a significant drop in the call backs for reinfestation in subsequent years.
Thanks for the input and Welcome to the forum!

Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 PM

185 posts, read 284,076 times
Is there a pretreatment that should be done when building a new home to keep termites away in the future? Said home will have a walkout basement, if that makes any difference.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 12,281 times
Question Termidor IMO --what is IMO?

Great suggestions re treating home with Termidor -- but Beretta, what is IMO -- which you say is the best?

If I treat for termites, will it take care of other invasive pests -- esp. ants, spiders?

Old 10-21-2009, 04:06 PM

46 posts, read 74,956 times
I have terminix for both of my homes if that helps any.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:23 PM

849 posts, read 1,441,225 times
IMO = In my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville