Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:36 PM

6,333 posts, read 11,488,468 times

Advertisements

You've probably already heard about the Narrow Ridge community in Washburn. That's a place you're likely to find like minded neighbors.

As always, I worry about people buying before they've had a chance to see if they will acclimate to the culture. Especially in a rural area so far from town. But good luck with your venture if you decide to go through with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 08:45 PM

186 posts, read 482,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blf53 View Post
My wife and I have been looking for a nice place to settle down and get away from corporate life. A small farm would be great as we both love to grow everything from vegetables to flowers. We also love wildlife. And while we pretty much keep to ourselves, we would like to live someplace where neighbors help one another and say "hello" without judgment or strings attached.

As we view areas all over the country it seems we constantly see farms for sale in Tennessee, because of the water, the natural beauty and the friendly people.

However, having grown up in the midwest and lived in Texas, the one thing we are nervous about Tennessee, and the south in general, is the political and religious climate.

I will admit, we are progressive, but we do not argue our position with others. Religiously, I would say we lean more toward a Buddhist way of accepting life's challenges.

My question to the readers familiar with the Knoxville area is; given that the area is staunchly Republican and Christian, is it possible to live a progressive life there and be accepted?
I would venture to say that a liberal will be more accepted in Knoxville than a conservative would be in San Francisco.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,890 times
I would recommend one of the outlying counties rather than Knox County, which is apparently a hotbed of crooked, bent and otherwise undesirable politicians who still want to run Knox County and the City of Knoxville like Boss Tweed ran Tammany Hall and Tammany Hall ran most of New York City from 1840 to 1934.

Union County, immediately to the north-northeast of Knoxville/Knox County, is a low-population, mostly rural county with a lot of related folks involved in local government, but for the nearly 5 years I've lived there, I haven't seen anything approaching the level of corruption and mis/malfeasance one sees in the neighbor to the south.

As far as being progressive and accepted, the comments made above are pretty much spot on. Folks around East Tennessee (outside the cities) are generally welcoming, and once you explain in a friendly manner that you have your own beliefs/ways, they just settle down to being good neighbors. You will, of course, run into some good ole boy rednecks here and there, but even they, for the most part, are live and let live.

East Tennessee is a wonderful place to live, and even in the small towns like Luttrell, Maynardville, Plainview and Corryton, you're less than an hour from a Super Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, Hobby Lobby, etc.

Good luck to you in your search. Come on home to East TN!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 PM

213 posts, read 546,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOGwNH View Post
I would recommend one of the outlying counties rather than Knox County, which is apparently a hotbed of crooked, bent and otherwise undesirable politicians who still want to run Knox County and the City of Knoxville like Boss Tweed ran Tammany Hall and Tammany Hall ran most of New York City from 1840 to 1934.
With Knox County government you have a point. But I woundn"t say that about the current Knoxville City government.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,029,539 times
Knox County government, in general, are a bunch of buffoons. Whatever made them think that they could spit in the face of the Open Meeting Law is arrogant and inexcusable. It is 2009, and this is a very large county. Of course they were sued and they lost and got bad press in The New York Times. But once again, what drove them to think that they would ever get away with such nonsense?

City government has been great, in my opinion.

Move to the outskirts and have liberal, open arms? Surely you jest.

Sure, there are hippies out there, but that is a land filled with mines. Tread lightly.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,412 times
Dave1961, did you say "corporate life" and "progressive" in the same paragraph? Hmmmm. Because a capitalist can't be a progressive and a progressive can't be a capitalist, so I'm perplexed how a progressive chose the corporate life. Afterall, a progressive who lives the corporate life just to make enough money to fulfill his longing to get out and move to a farm in TN is remarkably similar to an illegal alien who works in America just to make enough money to fulfill his longing to get out and move home to Mexico. But I digress.

Tennessee IS the bible belt and I thank God it is. Whatever you do, don't go trying to change these wonderful people to your way of thinking, which tends to be par for the course for progressives. YOU need to assimilate, not the other way around. Which leads me to the fact that illegals never want to assimilate...

Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 14,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Sam View Post
Dave1961, did you say "corporate life" and "progressive" in the same paragraph? Hmmmm. Because a capitalist can't be a progressive and a progressive can't be a capitalist, so I'm perplexed how a progressive chose the corporate life. Afterall, a progressive who lives the corporate life just to make enough money to fulfill his longing to get out and move to a farm in TN is remarkably similar to an illegal alien who works in America just to make enough money to fulfill his longing to get out and move home to Mexico. But I digress.

Tennessee IS the bible belt and I thank God it is. Whatever you do, don't go trying to change these wonderful people to your way of thinking, which tends to be par for the course for progressives. YOU need to assimilate, not the other way around. Which leads me to the fact that illegals never want to assimilate...
"Progressive" is a back-door term, so to speak, for liberal, and while there are some here, they are very decidely in the minority.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:04 AM

7,498 posts, read 17,100,431 times
Quote:
Whatever you do, don't go trying to change these wonderful people to your way of thinking, which tends to be par for the course for progressives.
Not true at all. There are many indigenous progressives here in east TN. I'm among them. Your statements assumed the opposite. We "wonderful people" in east TN don't need any help defending ourselves from the "evil outside world." We live in that world, too.

Sorry. Something about the tone of your post just irked me. I have no idea where you're from, but Appalachians are smart, skilled and just as worldly as anyone else.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Sam View Post
Because a capitalist can't be a progressive and a progressive can't be a capitalist, so I'm perplexed how a progressive chose the corporate life.
Not true.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Not true at all. There are many indigenous progressives here in east TN. I'm among them. Your statements assumed the opposite. We "wonderful people" in east TN don't need any help defending ourselves from the "evil outside world." We live in that world, too.

Sorry. Something about the tone of your post just irked me. I have no idea where you're from, but Appalachians are smart, skilled and just as worldly as anyone else.
I agree. East TN is also full of liberatarians. It isn't what people think, most times.

And the city of Knoxville is one of the best places I have ever lived in. It is far more open than the countryside of Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville