Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM

16 posts, read 108,441 times

Advertisements

I am about to move to Knoxville from Georgia. I have narrowed my apt search down to 2 places in West Knoxville, one of which is Legacy Pointe Apartments, located on Pleasant Ridge Road off Schaad Road near the Clinton Hwy intersection. The apts are new and nice enough, but being out of state, I don't know about the area. Other apartment managers warned me that Legacy Pointe is the only nice thing over there, and the rest of the area is sketchy - but they may have just been trying to lure me away. (Apparently there is a low-income housing development just down the road that creates some crime problems?) I was also told that there is major road construction blocking one of the routes to that area. Does anyone know about that and whether it would hinder my commute to UTK?

My other best option is The Reserve at Westland. I don't like the apts as much, but I heard their location is better (in the heart of West Knoxville?).

I hope to make friends with other grad students, so I'd hate to move somewhere so far out that it's a hassle for folks to come to my apt. I don't need to be in the hub of activity because I am a nerd who studies most of the time, but I don't want to be too far from the west Knox locations where young professionals hang out and grab a beer. And I want an easy ride to UTK every day. I am not prissy about landscaping and appearance, but I want to feel safe walking around the complex to get to the gym at night. Any thoughts on what the best choice may be? I appreciate all comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 01:50 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
Those are both quite a ways out and would be a fairly long commute to UT or West Knoxville. Why those two?
I doubt you'll meet any other grad students there.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:57 PM

Those are the only 2 in West Knoxville that had what I wanted and also happened to be running specials I can afford. Apparently this is the height of rental season when all students are signing leases for August, so apts don't have many vacant units, and don't have to run specials are the ones they do have open. And I wanted to be away from the undergrad/party areas, so everyone I asked suggested I concentrate on the west side. I am bummed that I went too far out! They are still the nicest ones I can get. Any thoughts on the areas and their safety? (I also adored Bluffs at Beaver Creek, but they seem even farther out (north) and were more expensive.)

Old 07-03-2009, 04:22 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
I'm seeing specials all over the place, usually with banners outside or those little signs.
Try Copper Pointe.
Welcome (http://www.bpiresidential.com/CopperPointe/default.aspx - broken link)
Close in West and signs for specials all over the place.
Briarcliff at West Hills has signs out, Walkers Crossing, Papermill Square, Grove at Deane Hill, Cherokee Ridge, Knox Landing, Cedar Hill.
These are all places I've driven by recently that have signs out offering specials.
UT is shutting down their graduate housing so there are people looking for apartments, but there are plenty in Knoxville. If you want to be intown, you may need to change your list of what you have to have.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:53 PM

79 posts, read 281,590 times
Although I haven't lived in Knoxville for a long time, I wouldn't consider the Legacy Point Aparments in West Knoxville (assuming it is close to Clinton Highway). Perhaps others have a different opinion.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 PM

Thanks Knoxgarden. I went to all but 2 of those too, actually. Walkers Crossing was the one that told me they had specials, but were filling up so fast they aren't running them anymore as of July. Thanks for the info, though. I appreciate it. I should probably content myself with being a bit farther out. I only go out a few times a month anyway.

Is the area around Legacy Pointe unsafe? I gather it's not the classiest real estate, but should I be concerned? If so, I will lean toward The Reserve at Westpoint. I saw a lot of coeds there, so maybe it's safer?

Old 07-04-2009, 02:44 AM

37 posts, read 77,399 times
Default Legacy Point

I live about a mile down the street from that area. I pass right by it all the time on my way to Walmart or Home Depot. It's not exactly west Knoxville; actually, the area is pretty much known as Powell. I live in the NW suburbs. Nothing is exactly right next door to me, but 2 miles in any direction gives me anything I want. I love the location, but I am no where near a college grad student. Legacy point looks to me as brand new, and I am sure they are running specials to fill the place up. Before i first moved here, I got a copy of that little apartment finders booklet. They are free, and available almost everywhere. Issued 4 times a year, I believe. When I transferred my auto Insurance up here, the ladies on the phone at Sate Farm mailed me a booklet out of the kindness of their hearts. That was my first example of the way things are up here, and why I love it so much.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:47 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I'm wondering what you are looking for that can only be found at those two complexes? I'm thinking there are a lot of places off Weisgarber and Papermill that would be a lot more convenient to UT. It may be that you just buy a gym membership separately if that's what you are looking for.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:34 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,519,536 times
Don't forget to look up the apartment ratings before you decide.

Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:32 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott LF View Post
I live about a mile down the street from that area. I pass right by it all the time on my way to Walmart or Home Depot. It's not exactly west Knoxville; actually, the area is pretty much known as Powell. I live in the NW suburbs. Nothing is exactly right next door to me, but 2 miles in any direction gives me anything I want. I love the location, but I am no where near a college grad student. Legacy point looks to me as brand new, and I am sure they are running specials to fill the place up. Before i first moved here, I got a copy of that little apartment finders booklet. They are free, and available almost everywhere. Issued 4 times a year, I believe. When I transferred my auto Insurance up here, the ladies on the phone at Sate Farm mailed me a booklet out of the kindness of their hearts. That was my first example of the way things are up here, and why I love it so much.
Btw, that area is not "sketchy". Powell is actually very suburban. Sketchy is Mechanicsville or Lonsdale. Some west Knox folks assume anything not in west Knoxville is "sketchy". And technically, it is part of west Knoxville, just the northern edge. I visited some friends that bought a house in that area. I guess its not "upper middle class" but it is middle class with many new subdivisions. The Reserve is very nice, but further west than you may think. I would suggest Greenbrier off Lonas, where my girlfriend lives. Nice, safe, 5 minutes from downtown yet still convenient to west Knoxville shopping.

Last edited by Kitties of Domination; 07-05-2009 at 11:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville