U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-16-2009, 06:17 PM

21,623 posts, read 30,381,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
Ok folks, I spent a very brief time in Morristown, just west of Morristown at Panther Creek Park and a little time driving through Dandrige. (Had my interview yesterday and it went pretty well).
My impression is that Morristown is cool, but nothing really going on there. Looks kinda like they were about to start rehabbing downtown and revitalizing but then the money dried up and they only got as far as building a skywalk.
Dandridge however, I loved just due to the great views as you drive from 40 to the tiny little downtown area.
Went just North of Morristown through Bean Station and came across some ritzy condos right on the water but they were unoccupied and no info about them was available, anybody know anything about them?
I just need to spend some time in that area to get a feel for what I like. An guy renting a house (responding to my demanding post on craigs list) insists that his place on the NW side (barely W of 75 and N of 640) is only 35 minutes to Morristown.
I'm going to put it to you this way:

I live EAST of I-75 and just north of I-640. Google maps says it will take me "1 hour 3 mins"
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 06:32 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,813,995 times
The condos near Bean Station I believe are The Bluffs at German Creek. There's a resort there, too. Some contact info here:
Tennessee Vacation - German Creek Resort & Marina
Kind of ritzy.
I remember reading about a condo/apartment development in Dandridge a couple of years ago. I believe it's Harbor Crest. Upscale.
There was a lot of development going on, both on Douglas Lake and Cherokee Lake, but the bad economy halted most of it and a lot of the properties went up for auction.
If you're not coming until the fall, you may be able to get a good deal on a furnished vacation cabin/condo and put your stuff in storage until you get settled.
You'll find a lot more condos of that type on the lake.
You can't get to Morristown from I-75 in 35 minutes. At least not where you're going. Maybe the far Western Edge if you go out 11E and don't hit any school zones. I've driven out there a lot. I can make it to 11W/25E junction from I-75/640 in 50 minutes, on a good night, but you're still a long way from Morristown.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:56 PM

402 posts, read 719,001 times
I should be coming mid August (YIKES!!! BIG CHANGES VERY FAST!!)

Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 PM

5,438 posts, read 8,830,369 times
The Morristown Skywalk is actually fairly old. It's not a development of downtown revitalization, but an effort to keep downtown originally 'vital' when strip malls on the perimeter started pulling businesses out of the core. It didn't quite work, though.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:06 PM

Yeah, the German Creek Condos seem to have a bunch of broken links... Seems the place was auctioned off in the end of 2008. Anyone have any more details? These places looked really nice.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:42 PM

18 posts, read 36,057 times
Yeah, they built them and ran out of money and people to fill them. More money down the drain. Another reason they did not make it is because they built them on Lakeshore where traffic is bad. I live in Rutledge, off of Rutledge pike and it takes me 30 minutes to get home from Knoxville. If I keep going, it takes me an hour and 15 minutes to reach Morristown.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 PM

18 posts, read 36,057 times
Rental finders. Try calling the local real estate agents within the community and ask about rentals that used to be homes for sell. I guess you have a pretty good job there cause most people don't just move to Morristown cause there is not much going on there... well except the police department watching your every move in order to make some money. Several speed traps between Jefferson and Mtown. I think the biggest thing about the place is the attitude of Mexicans. Now, don't take this wrong because as long as they are here legally, then great. But for some reason, they don't want much to do with the locals. Most of them will not even look at you in the eye. They are very similar to the pine tree mexicans in Florida. Just not very friendly except to chinese people who can get their language pretty quick and they will hire them to work regardless if they are legal. Think long and hard about Mtown. You will be driving to Kville to do your shopping because that is where the malls and good shopping are. There is a food city and walmart for the grocery stores in Mtown.. The mall is about closed down. So, your looking at about an hour and 15 to get to the edge of Knoxville. I live in rutledge on the other side of Jefferson if you need some local info. The good thing about you on this side of town? Grainger County tomatoes!

Last edited by rockenale; 08-02-2009 at 07:53 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 05:31 PM

83 posts, read 183,628 times
We just moved to Morristown from FL. We moved here for a slower paced and better life for our family. Not to mention the terrible crime and the fact that my husband and I were becoming a minority. We originally were going to move to Jefferson City. However the people were not as friendly to new comers. We too had a problem finding somewhere to live. We searched the local papers, online, etc... The best recommendation I can give you is to drive around the areas to get a good feel and look for rent signs. That is how we found our rental. They did ask for first month and a deposit. Morristown is in Hamblen County. There is an Ingles supermarket and a Walmart in Jefferson City about 6 miles away, also the College Square Mall ialong with plenty of strip centers and fast food off highway 11. Feel free to DM me for any additional info. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 PM

21,623 posts, read 30,381,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathdawn View Post
We just moved to Morristown from FL. We moved here for a slower paced and better life for our family. Not to mention the terrible crime and the fact that my husband and I were becoming a minority. We originally were going to move to Jefferson City. However the people were not as friendly to new comers. We too had a problem finding somewhere to live. We searched the local papers, online, etc... The best recommendation I can give you is to drive around the areas to get a good feel and look for rent signs. That is how we found our rental. They did ask for first month and a deposit. Morristown is in Hamblen County. There is an Ingles supermarket and a Walmart in Jefferson City about 6 miles away, also the College Square Mall ialong with plenty of strip centers and fast food off highway 11. Feel free to DM me for any additional info. Good luck.
Heathdawn!

Glad to see that you made it! Change your location on city-data to Tennessee!

Old 08-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Wow Rockenale, you really can't stand Morristown. Sorry, but that is where I will be working, not looking to live their necessarily. I was actually thinking like Dandridge or somewhere closer to Knoxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville