Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 24,268 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to knoxville in the next month. I am a young professional (a year out of college) and looking to live in an area with good nightlife, bars, shops, and young people. Does this exist? If so I would love more information on it. Any apt complexes would also be appreciated. Price is not an issue. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 01:11 PM

66 posts, read 249,682 times
Downtown! Young people. Professionals. Bars. Nightlife. Movie Theatre. Closest grocery about 5 miles. Look for something with parking. Check out:

Downtown Realty - Knoxville

A little more expensive than other areas. Also could check out the area south of UT Hospital. Lots of young people. Maybe a bit more student oriented:

www.thewoodlandsofknoxville.com/

Old 06-10-2008, 01:15 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown33 View Post
Hi, I am moving to knoxville in the next month. I am a young professional (a year out of college) and looking to live in an area with good nightlife, bars, shops, and young people. Does this exist? If so I would love more information on it. Any apt complexes would also be appreciated. Price is not an issue. Thanks!
To make recommendations can you tell us a bit more about yourself? What are your hobbies? What kind of architecture do you like? Do you mind hanging out with college students or do you strictly want the "just out of college" crowd?
Welcome to Knoxville and this forum!

Old 06-10-2008, 03:20 PM

5 posts, read 24,268 times
I dont mind being around college kids. A good mix of both young professionals and college kids would be nice. I am a big sports guy, like to go out on weekends and happy hours after work. An area with an urban feel would be preferrable. Downtown sounds like a good spot. I am looking to rent, are there any complexes that you recommend?

Old 06-10-2008, 03:53 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
Not really any complexes downtown. A lot of older buildlings have been converted to lofts. Some are apartments, others condos that can be rented.
Check out Metro Pulse, the alternate weekly, for what's going on downtown.
Metro Pulse: Knoxville News, Issues, Entertainment, Culture, People
The Market Square District, which is the heart of downtown, has it's own website:
Market Square District Association
Sterchi Lofts are rental units downtown. Gorgeous urban living. I went to one for a party once. They're the sort of places you see in New York, all stainless, exposed brick, wood floors, great views.
Sterchi Lofts :: Knoxville, TN (http://sterchilofts.com/index.htm - broken link)
The same company that owns those has the Fire Street Lofts. Those are newer but also very urban.
There are a lot of small buildings downtown with rentals. Check into the Hotel St. Oliver on Market Square and get a feel for the place.
Hotel St Oliver - Knoxville, TN

Old 06-10-2008, 04:30 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,387,747 times
Welcome to Knoxville and there are some nightlife places you would enjoy, and the downtown area is booming, but sort of hard to find rental in walking distance. The Sterchi lofts are mostly used by students, and about everything is for sale, and prices range from the low 200,000, to skys the limit. The old city is known for many great places, and probably the newest, is Crown and Goose. Several other hot places scattered around, and once you post more, we can give you more to see.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 15,487 times
Hey - I am moving to Knoxville from Chicago. Have you found a place yet? My husband and I are being relocated and we are late twenties

Old 06-30-2008, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 8,952 times
You might consider living in South Knoxville. There are some older established neighborhoods that are only 3-5 miles from downtown. Very convenient to the restaurants, clubs, and all of the fun but quiet enough to enjoy things.

House prices are also pretty reasonable, if buying is an option. You can find a lot of nice houses on Craigslist [mod]cut[/mod] for $80k - 130k.

Good luck.

KimN

Last edited by Beretta; 06-30-2008 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: advertising not allowed

Old 07-24-2008, 08:26 AM

35 posts, read 81,387 times
Hello out there! I, like CHITOWN33, may/will be moving to the Knoxville area in about a month, depending upon how a couple of job interviews go, and like him, I am a fairly young, well early 40's is young isn't it? =)

Anyway, I am wishing to eventually buy an older (built turn of century, but updated), home near the downtown area, but maybe near some water, even a creek if possible....can any of you suggest an established area such as that, or even if it doesn't have water nearby? I just would like to see the mountains on my porch if possible - I absolutely am an outdoorsman, but want the convenience of the downtown area quaintness - even perhaps a smaller town outside of Knoxville....thanks so much! It is certainly appreciated, as I am getting inundated wit realtor cards in the mail since I requested a relocation package.....ha!

Take care.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:24 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Ooooh, I can help with this 'cause I loooves me some views.

I take it a mountain view trumps a water view - there are a few places where you can have both but most (not all) are pricey.

Some questions:

What price range?
Where will you be working?
What size home?
Fixxer upper OK?
Would you consider a newer home if it had jaw dropping views?
Rate your tolerance level for a neigborhood that is tendy but has a bit of a crime issue.
how about non trendy but lesser crime?

Ironically, some of the very best views in town are in the roughest areas - where do you stand on the urban adventurer scale?

BTW it's most likely the great view will be from the back porch. Is that OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville