U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:39 PM

404 posts, read 744,742 times

Advertisements

So got frustrated with the lack of houses and apartments for rent on Craiglist that were convenient to the Morristown area where I am going to be working. I decided I was going to post a message in the "Real Estate/Apartments Wanted" section.

I put a list of all the things the unit would have to have in order for me to consider it.

Title $800 Looking for House/Big Apartment Convenient to Morristown, TN (Dandrige)

1.) A House or Apartment
2.) At least 900 Square feet
3.) At least two bedrooms
4.) Central Air
5.) Ample private parking
6.) Washer Dryer Hookup
7.) Be within 30 minutes or so of Morristown
8.) 6 Month Lease terms preferred
9.) Only require first months rent and deposit (Not first AND lasts month rent THEN deposit)
10.) Move in date appx September 1st, 2009
11.) Renter bill willing to show many pictures and give address of unit
12.) Have a heating/cooling unit less then 10 years old.

I was very specific. Almost too specific, in fact I thought.

Nevertheless I get an email a day from folks that have something no where close to most of the points I addressed above.

Examples.

1.) A place in South Knoxville near Seymour that the owner INSISTS is about 30 minutes drive to Morristown.....
2.) A place in Gatlinburg where the owner insists you can get to Morristown in right at 30 minutes or so.
3.) A place in La Follette that the owner says they thought I said some other city, not Morristown.....

The best part? Not 1 of these was for rent in the price range I was looking for or even mentioned if their place came close to meeting the 12 points I asked about.

So what have I decided I am going to do? Call realtors that can't sell the houses they have for sale and offer a short term rental option to them to make SOME money while the houses sit vacant.

Moderator cut: cut/change: any other suggestions/options for Matt would be appreciate
Matt

Last edited by mbmouse; 07-07-2009 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:39 PM

5,551 posts, read 9,195,656 times
Unfortunately, you're sort of in the middle. Housing stock, condos and townhome rentals are booming (relatively - we're still in a recession too here in etn) in west and north Knox and in the Tri-Cities, Kingsport particularly. In between, finding something can be hit or miss, especially when you're not there to check stuff out personally. The *best* deals in this area are always found by word of mouth or by spotting a "hey, look at that sign..." sort of thing. That's how I found the house I'm moving to in a week.

And I don't think we have anyone here on CD from the Morristown/Jefferson City area to help you out by going to check on stuff. Not much help, I know, but I'm just trying to explain why things might be so difficult, even in a renter's economy.

BTW/FYI, I've never heard of a lease requiring deposit, first, *and* last month's rent. I don't think that happens much here; I've never paid a last month's rent.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 PM

21,674 posts, read 31,578,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
The *best* deals in this area are always found by word of mouth or by spotting a "hey, look at that sign..." sort of thing. That's how I found the house I'm moving to in a week.
That's just it, unfortunately.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:18 PM

18 posts, read 37,447 times
Just curious... have you checked with the local newspapers. Standard Banner(Jefferson City) or the Citizen Tribune(Morristown). The both have websites, just put in the name and the city and it will come up.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:34 PM

Yeah, just need something that has more pictures. Don't have the time to chase someone down on the phone to find out if they even have pictures or leave messages and play phone tag which is what the local paper ads usually require. My best places have been through referrals, have only found a few on craigslist and never found an apartment worth living in that advertised in the paper. Generally means like jobs that no one is interested hence their need to do more then just put up a sign in the yard.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 11:52 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,724,514 times
My two cents: Bite the bullet and make a longer commute. You'll find what you need closer to Knoxville.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
Y Generally means like jobs that no one is interested hence their need to do more then just put up a sign in the yard.

Not really. That's the way a lot of rentals are advertised and are successfully rented.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 AM

Someone just needs to offer rental finder as a service, then we would be set... Some type of head hunter for rental properties.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
Someone just needs to offer rental finder as a service, then we would be set... Some type of head hunter for rental properties.
Not much money in that. <<cough>>No one willingly moves to Morristown.<<cough, cough>>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville