U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:36 PM

290 posts, read 625,637 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are planning our semi-retirement in East Tennessee but don't want to live in Knoxville or any other large area. We are in a rural community now about 2 miles outside of a tri-city area of about 50,000 total. We want to live in a smaller area in East Tennessee but not real far from either Knoxville or Chattanooga because that is where the Veterans hospital clinics are at. We are both veterans and will be using them as our main healthcare until our full retirement age when we can use SS and the VA. We spent 2 weeks riding our motorcycles around East Tennessee and North Carolina in June and will be driving our car back down in 2 weeks to really look closer at some communities. We have a friend that lives in Farragut and she is looking to move out further too, but doesn't know a great deal about other communities other than things like it's small, or it's beautiful out there.

We are thinking maybe out around Lenoir City, Maryville, Sweet water, Athens etc. etc. We would rather not live right in the center of town, since we don't now. We know we want a ranch style house with beautiful views of the mountains of course. Not to have neighboring houses right next to us but don't want to be isolated in the woods either. Would like the town to have some stores but major shopping can be in a neighboring town if need be. Would rather find a home around $100,000 or less if a nice house can be gotten for that. Not sure of property prices at this point.

Employment may be an issue since we are planning on semi retirement at this point. I am a registered dental hygienist and hubby will just work at this or that, he's closer to full retirement than I am.

Any helpful info or suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 PM

775 posts, read 1,079,200 times
Sweetwater and Athens along with Madisonville are more rural than Maryville or Lenoir City. I have a son that lives in Madisonville and they like it there. They do spend time in Sweetwater for several activities, though. Not sure about finding much in that price range but there is some property in the area.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:24 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,798,473 times
Hey Lluce, Knoxville is so spread out, that you can find many small communities they will fit what your looking for, for example, you can go North and live in the Halls community, south will provide you the mountians you like and way too many sub areas, as you just need to tour and see for yourself. The towns mentioned, Sweetwater, Madisonville, Lenior City, and many others, all are towns within that area, so it all depends on exactly what your looking for. You might need to adjust your budget, and look up to the 130sh range, to find a better home, that will meet your likes. Good luck, and be sure and tour all the areas.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 AM

Thanks. It seems the housing is not much less than any other areas, if a decent home cannot be had for less than $130,000. Even with the housing market the way it is now? What about foreclosed homes?

I'm glad we drive a hybrid vehicle, since it appears we'll be doing a lot of driving and looking.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 AM

11,028 posts, read 29,924,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLuce View Post
Thanks. It seems the housing is not much less than any other areas, if a decent home cannot be had for less than $130,000. Even with the housing market the way it is now? What about foreclosed homes?

I'm glad we drive a hybrid vehicle, since it appears we'll be doing a lot of driving and looking.
You can definitely find homes for less than $130k in smaller towns. Even in Knoxville proper there are nice homes to be had for less than that (our friend hiknapster paid less than $130k for her gorgeous home in Fountain City on a thickly wooded, large lot). Homes in my neighborhood go for less than $100k.

Since you mentioned Athens, you might want to check out Etowah. It's smack in the mountains, the highways are good, and the houses are very affordable.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 AM
BST

451 posts, read 976,142 times
I'd look into Friendsville. It is close to Lenoir City and to Maryville...and convenient to the Dragon for motorcycle enthusiasts!

Old 07-24-2009, 11:11 AM

Thanks JMT and BST. It's nice to know that I don't HAVE to spend every dime I get out of my house up here to buy another down there. I would like some left over to get furniture etc. I will check into the smaller communities as well. I don't want to get too far from a main town though. How are the winters in these areas? I have heard, especially this past winter, that you had a taste of some of these northern winter temps...

Old 07-24-2009, 12:00 PM

22,310 posts, read 43,859,577 times
Yeah! I was going to say, "Hey, wait a minute..."

My house is about 55 years old, 1,700 sq. ft., 3/2, 2 fireplaces, .50 acre (JMT, it IS half-an-acre! Exactly! I looked it up.) Beautiful hardwood floors, Tennessee marble window sills, cedar shake siding, thick wall, 23 trees, a few have to be at least 100 years old. I paid $120,000.

There's lots and lots of houses under $130,000. If you are not looking for brand new but like good solid home you can find it.

And down in Sweetwater, Madisonville, you can find even newer, bigger and better for even less. There's about 200 homes, under $125,000, right now.

Check out this house. Only four years old. Gorgeous!

Listing #655747

However, job opportunities are much less in that area. We almost moved to Madisonville, because my husband has a relative in that town, but there weren't any jobs, and that was in 2005, during the economic boom.

If not, you can still come to Knoxville and find a great home for the right price.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:15 PM

9 posts, read 19,726 times
have you looked in Jefferson County? The foothills of the smokeys come right down into the outskirts of dandridge. Dandridge/white pine are very rural areas. You can find a house in Dandridge or Jefferson City for under $90,000. I am talking 3 bedroom ranch style houses around 1200 to 1500 square feet. I saw a listing for one in a neighborhood in New Market for $70,000.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:57 PM

Greeneman1963, We're considering ALL areas that are too "big city" like, so Dandridge could be a possibility as long as it's not too far from "big city" stuff ya know? LOL! My friend in Farragut mentioned Dandridge too.

Hiknapster I don't mind an older home as long as it's not falling apart. Yours sounds very nice. Actually we would like to find an already established house with big trees etc. because I don't want to start all over by planting trees. We love to do landscaping but not having to plant trees. I would like maybe a partially wooded lot or something, so when I look out my window I don't look into someone elses! I think we're going to end up making several trips before we settle on a location. There is just too much to look at and we're not exactly close by to pop over there every weekend. If I was I'd be doing on my motorcycle!

I am really pleasantly surprised at the property tax rates around there. Our tax rate around here is 6.825 on every $100 of taxable assessed value! Our taxes just went up another $250 this year making a grand total of $3860 a year. Anyone want to buy a home in Illinois??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville