Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 AM

44 posts, read 110,433 times

Advertisements

We went to get our license/vehicle registration done yesterday. The West Knoxville license branch is a total zoo. We had to go twice because we were missing a document the first time. Both times over 30 people waiting and only 3 people working - one was checking new people so really only 2 processing paperwork. When we went the second time we waited almost 1.5 hours and the wait was 3 hours when we left. They have 8 or 10 counters, but only 2 employees working.

The employees were friendly and the cost is what others have been saying. Just make sure you leave yourself a big chunk of time and bring a good book. The checkin person said the only time there isn't a big wait is if you get there right when it opens.

Car registration/plates had no wait. No line. Walked in, got helped right away, super friendly people. $72 is what it cost us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 01:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLBlues View Post
We went to get our license/vehicle registration done yesterday. The West Knoxville license branch is a total zoo. We had to go twice because we were missing a document the first time. Both times over 30 people waiting and only 3 people working - one was checking new people so really only 2 processing paperwork. When we went the second time we waited almost 1.5 hours and the wait was 3 hours when we left. They have 8 or 10 counters, but only 2 employees working.

The employees were friendly and the cost is what others have been saying. Just make sure you leave yourself a big chunk of time and bring a good book. The checkin person said the only time there isn't a big wait is if you get there right when it opens.

Car registration/plates had no wait. No line. Walked in, got helped right away, super friendly people. $72 is what it cost us.
I went to get my license in Halls. No waiting.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:48 AM

4 posts, read 8,974 times
Quote:

is this Cedar Bluff area office?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:40 AM

28 posts, read 47,658 times
Does Maryville have a wheel tax? What is uninsured insurance?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain View Post
is this Cedar Bluff area office?
Its the West Knoxville location at 430 Montbrook lane.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:44 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinjoy View Post
What is uninsured insurance?
In spite of TN law requiring all motorist to carry liability insurance there are still a lot of uninsured drivers on the streets.
'Uninsured' insurance covers you if you get hit by some yahoo driving around illegally without insurance.
Explanation here:
Uninsured Motorist Coverage - What is it? - What Should You Know About Auto Insurance - Epinions.com

Old 08-12-2011, 12:07 PM

394 posts, read 794,558 times
Quote:
The West Knoxville license branch is a total zoo. What DMV office in any state isn't?

The employees were friendly. That is the real beauty of east Tenn.

The checkin person said the only time there isn't a big wait is if you get there right when it opens. I think that is the rule anywhere. Last time I went to DMV in Md. there were 60+ in line before they opened. Probably half did not speak english and many had no translator and had no idea of what paper work was required. It only gets worse as the day goes on.
I guess it's all a matter of what you're used to.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:40 PM

The last two states I got licenses in were Hawaii and Colorado. Hawaii was the most pleasant DMV experience I've ever had. No wait. Less than 5 minutes and I was done. Colorado took about 10 minutes because I had to wait for 5. So to answer your question - at least Colorado Springs and Kaneohe DMV branches aren't zoos!

They just needed more people working. There were counters for 6-8 more employees to be working there. Also it seemed like a very inefficient process. It took the employee almost 10 minutes to process my license request.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:57 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Quote:
The last two states I got licenses in were Hawaii and Colorado. Hawaii was the most pleasant DMV experience I've ever had. No wait. Less than 5 minutes and I was done. Colorado took about 10 minutes because I had to wait for 5. So to answer your question - at least Colorado Springs and Kaneohe DMV branches aren't zoos!

They just needed more people working. There were counters for 6-8 more employees to be working there. Also it seemed like a very inefficient process. It took the employee almost 10 minutes to process my license request.
We do things slower in the south.....we are more relaxed in life....

Old 08-12-2011, 03:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
We do things slower in the south.....we are more relaxed in life....
Isn't that the truth! I moved here because people take the time to talk to you, take their time going about things. Folks that always have a rush, rush attitude generally don't do that well here unless they can acclimate. If you are driven crazy by the cashier chatting with everyone in line then East Tennessee is not going to be your place.

And once again, there are plenty of places in this state where it is NOT a zoo. There is a heavy concentration of people in West Knoxville and a lot of transplants. That's probably why it is so busy. There are other places around here that you can go to where there isn't a line at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville