U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 08:14 AM

18 posts, read 18,274 times
Question Relocating from Florida

Relocating to the Knoxville area with a 9yr & 12 yr old sons and a senior citisen from Jacksonville, FL area. Need help with the best areas for neighborhoods and jobs in the medical field. Also property management or rentals. Want to experience all 4 seasons and a slower pace of living that you would find in a Norman Rockwell painting. Want my kids to grow up in a place that is like going back in time to the lifestyles of 50's. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by grecord; 08-01-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 02:32 PM

24 posts, read 26,066 times
From Floridian to Floridian. Try Farragut. There is a lake, hospitals, and shopping centers. However, apartments communities are closer to the Cedar Bluff area. You may want to consider renting a house or condo in Farragut.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:48 PM

Thanks- I will look into that. Hows the jobs up there? better than in FL?

Old 08-02-2009, 06:25 PM

812 posts, read 697,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grecord View Post
Thanks- I will look into that. Hows the jobs up there? better than in FL?
You are in medical, it doesn't matter....

I know someone who is not even a GPN and has a firm offer for when she has her license.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:44 PM

204 posts, read 354,214 times
I am a former Floridian, note former as Tennessee is my new home and I love it. I am in the medical field. I will DM you some ways to check things out. I am West Knoxville, Cedar Bluff, Farragut area, and you would be within 20 min of most hospitals and dr offices. Tons of shopping. Great neighborhoods with huge lawns, compared to down there. And you will definitely see 4 seasons.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:17 PM

21,623 posts, read 30,362,049 times
I don't know. When I think of Farragut I don't think "Norman Rockwell." I think upscale, newish, strip mall.

There isn't a lot around here that is like Norman Rockwell, which usually represents New England, which is where I was born and raised before I moved to Florida, eventually landing in Knoxville.

I live in Fountain City and like it. There are parts that lean more toward Norman Rockwell, but it still isn't quite like that. Clinton and Maryville have some aspects like that, too.

I think you are really going to have to look around to see for yourself, but I wouldn't automatically assume because someone is from Florida that they should move to Farragut, although everything certainly merits a look.

Most parts of Florida are more faster paced than here, so more than likely you will be happy wherever you move. I want to go back to the 50s, too, even if I wasn't even born then, but it IS 2009. But moving here will be a big improvement.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:03 AM

8,962 posts, read 20,785,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't know. When I think of Farragut I don't think "Norman Rockwell." I think upscale, newish, strip mall.

There isn't a lot around here that is like Norman Rockwell, which usually represents New England, which is where I was born and raised before I moved to Florida, eventually landing in Knoxville.

I live in Fountain City and like it. There are parts that lean more toward Norman Rockwell, but it still isn't quite like that. Clinton and Maryville have some aspects like that, too.

I think you are really going to have to look around to see for yourself, but I wouldn't automatically assume because someone is from Florida that they should move to Farragut, although everything certainly merits a look.

Most parts of Florida are more faster paced than here, so more than likely you will be happy wherever you move. I want to go back to the 50s, too, even if I wasn't even born then, but it IS 2009. But moving here will be a big improvement.
I agree. When I think of Normal Rockwell, Farragut is definitely not what comes to mind. It doesn't mean Farragut is a bad place, but it is far from being Norman Rockwell'ish.

In Knoxville proper really the only place that's like a Norman Rockwell painting truly is Fountain City. It's got the quaint "downtown" area, beautiful public parks, older homes, fierce civic pride, sidewalks, families walking to church, kids walking to school, etc.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:24 PM

Thank you for all of your advice and suggestions. I am eagerly anticipating our move and know that my boys, my Mom and I will no doubtably be very happy there.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 PM

75 posts, read 120,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I agree. When I think of Normal Rockwell, Farragut is definitely not what comes to mind. It doesn't mean Farragut is a bad place, but it is far from being Norman Rockwell'ish.

In Knoxville proper really the only place that's like a Norman Rockwell painting truly is Fountain City. It's got the quaint "downtown" area, beautiful public parks, older homes, fierce civic pride, sidewalks, families walking to church, kids walking to school, etc.
I spent last weekend in Knoxville and stopped at a Baskin Robbins in Fountain City. What a lovely area and the duck pond with people strolling along was almost like a Norman Rockwell painting.

The farmers market/street fair, or whatever they call the event downtown in Market Square, was a nice place to spend a leisurely afternoon. And free parking! We don't have that in Nashville. And all the sculpture downtown! I wish Nashville had that.

I fall more in love with Knoxville every time I visit.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:06 PM

8,962 posts, read 20,785,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingz View Post
I spent last weekend in Knoxville and stopped at a Baskin Robbins in Fountain City. What a lovely area and the duck pond with people strolling along was almost like a Norman Rockwell painting.

The farmers market/street fair, or whatever they call the event downtown in Market Square, was a nice place to spend a leisurely afternoon. And free parking! We don't have that in Nashville. And all the sculpture downtown! I wish Nashville had that.

I fall more in love with Knoxville every time I visit.
I'm glad you enjoy coming to Knoxville! It really is a nice place and is like an overgrown Mayberry. I love our downtown. I love Nashville, too, but Knoxville's downtown is so much more accessible. Were you able to eat at one of the many eateries in Market Square? Knoxville also has something else that Nashville doesn't: a magnificent old movie palace complete with a Mighty Wurlitzer. The Tennessee Theatre in downtown Knoxville is a jewel. If you happen to be here on a summer weekend when they're playing a classic movie it's definitely worth the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville