U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2009, 02:27 PM

12 posts, read 23,541 times

Advertisements

is gatlinburg tennessee a good place to live, how bad is the crime there and are the people nice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:29 PM

626 posts, read 923,086 times
If you enjoy traffic and prefer high home prices, yes, it's a good place to live.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,115,856 times
it's artsy. you will be dealing with a ton of tourists at certain times of the year; as voldude said traffic can get realllllly bad. you always have to pay to park on the strip, but if you lived there you probably wouldn't be there too often. it's a beautiful place to live if you're on the quiet (east) side. I believe crime is minimal, might have some hidden meth labs in the hills.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 AM

21,674 posts, read 31,578,373 times
Crime is high. It's mostly thefts, assaults and burglaries. It comes with the territory of being a tourist area.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:24 AM

18 posts, read 28,414 times
It's not so bad-I grew up in the Pittman Center area, just out side of Gatlinburg. It is expensive and most of the people that live in Gatlinburg grew up in Gatlinburg. The people are kind of "clickish"-but far as crime goes I don't think it's too bad. Check out The Mountain Press-it's the local paper for Sevier County-you can find the police reports in it and see what kind of crime the area has. Mostly DUI and PI related--it is a tourist town.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:44 AM

21,674 posts, read 31,578,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaticndo View Post
It's not so bad-I grew up in the Pittman Center area, just out side of Gatlinburg. It is expensive and most of the people that live in Gatlinburg grew up in Gatlinburg. The people are kind of "clickish"-but far as crime goes I don't think it's too bad. Check out The Mountain Press-it's the local paper for Sevier County-you can find the police reports in it and see what kind of crime the area has. Mostly DUI and PI related--it is a tourist town.
Yes. If anything, I think what makes the crime rate go up is issues at motels, and such.

As crazy as it seems, the crime rate is higher than in Knoxville. However, I wouldn't personally feel unsafe there. Once again, it is a tourist issue. There are a lot of shops frequented by thousands of people a month. The theft is going to be high, no matter what.

As far as real estate goes, there are a lot of houses on the market. That whole area is overbuilt and prices may come down.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:45 PM

12 posts, read 23,541 times
thanks for all the input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville