U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 03:31 PM

21,626 posts, read 30,614,184 times
Uh-oh. I should have specified but I thought everybody knew that when we say "Floridians" we don't mean native Floridians. They are fabulous and coming up here in droves.

There's another person on this forum that lives here but is a native of your area. He's a terrific guy.

I'll tell you, when I first moved to Florida, I moved to Orlando. I guess I lived in the native and Southern section because I didn't come across any Northern transplants. It was great.

Then I had to move to Fort Myers, Florida. For nine years I did not hear one Southern accent and the people were the natisiest I have ever met in my life, and I'm a Yankee. I will never, under any circumstances, put up with those people again. Never.

I don't know. What do we call those people? They are not Floridians. But I'm sorry, I lived in The North for 34 years and never met any people like that. Those people were creepy.

Should we call them aliens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
I feel compelled to speak a little in defense of the native Floridians - since I am one. Although FL is geographically a southern state, in reality it is mostly comprised of people who have moved there from all over the country, largely the northeast and north central states. That alone has changed the atmosphere radically and caused an extreme density in population in certain areas. Add to that the get-rich-quick developers, snow-birds who go for several months and think they have a "say-so" in how things ought to be, or how "we do it this way back home" and you will see why discussion of FL's hospitality is somewhat skewed.

I grew up in a small Tampa Bay town in the 1950s and 60s. I watched the area change, as noted above, and moved to central FL in the early 1970s. I had fallen in love with TN in 1965 but didn't get here til 1982. FL has changed even more radically since I left.

FL has trapped itself in the tourist industry. All over the state locals are pitted against retirees for jobs, which are often low-paying because they CAN be filled by a retiree - who doesn't depend on a paycheck to pay expenses and sometimes just wants to work for "entertainment." They made their money earing high wages somewhere else, move to FL and think people (locals) should be "grateful" they go there to spend it.

So, if the people there seem rude, don't blame all Floridians - they probably aren't from Florida anyway. And if the native Floridians are sometimes rude, they just might be entitled to a chunk of resentment for those who moved there from "somewhere else" and changed their way of life forever.

As I write this, I believe that I can truly empathize with the locals of E TN, particularly Sevier County, and hope that as a transplant I've been able to be respectful of the culture.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:31 PM

374 posts, read 481,399 times
Default I'm sorry,

but I can't think of anything to call them that would be socially acceptable in a public forum

I think they just took on the "touron" mentality permanently when they moved there.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:21 PM

406 posts, read 676,901 times
TN Gal now.. What small Tampa Bay town did you grow up in? I am a Florida native, raised just east of Tampa in a town called Seffner. Lived in Brandon for 7 years, moved here a year ago November. I never enjoyed the heat, but the town i lived in was small. I remember being about 8 years old when the local McDonalds was built. It has definitly changed in 30-something years. My mom is a 3rd generation Florida native as well.

I always came to the mountains on vacation, so when my girlfriend got a great job at Ijams, i was excited to move here after our first visit.
Don't hate on all of us Florida natives, some of us where raised to say "yes Maam, NO maam"..

Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,902,428 times
Hmmmm....I am a Yankee by birth and my boys are 5th generation native Floridians by birth....what would that make us? I didn't like FL either, only good thing out of the time I had to spend there was my boys, but I did enjoy living in CT, lots of nice, friendly people, especially all the relatives I still have there.
I think people are people and people will be people no matter WHERE they live. Jerks are jerks no matter where they live. I think it is more the pace of life, and conscious choices the majority of the people around you that dictates a lot about the " over all feel" of the inhabitants of an area. People can say what they want about "The bible belt" but I believe that if you are surrounded by people who are at peace with themselves, it is a nicer place to live for everyone.
At least I feel much more relaxed on an average day out and about in East TN. It is the little niceties that people are sure to do in a day that makes the difference here.
If they weren't so dang hot in FL, might be the same way. If they weren't so dang crammed in and in a hurry in NY, maybe it might be the same way. Or maybe if they weren't so dang frozen cold for 6 months and taxed on the air they breath even further north, it might be the same way.

Last edited by mbmouse; 09-11-2009 at 01:37 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 10:24 AM

54 posts, read 84,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl A. Koski View Post
I lived in Knoxville for 15 years, and then I made the biggest mistake of my life: I sold my townhouse in Knoxville and moved to St. Petersburg, Florida, for a job. I foolishly thought that St. Petersburg was going to be a dream destination. It wasn't long before I realized my mistake.

I went from being a happy, confident woman to someone I could barely recognize.

Sooner or later, I thought that I would adjust to being here. But after six years in Florida, I just plain don't like it. And I'm extremely homesick for Knoxville even though it was my home only from my early 30s to mid-40s. I've begun asking myself why I'm staying here.

Somebody please help. It seemed easy to move down here, but it seems so much more difficult to come back. I would appreciate any ideas that anybody can provide to help me make my way back to Knoxville.
When I read this post, it really hit home. My wife and I moved to Florida three years ago (the other coast) and understand how you can lose yourself and your confidence in this place. We too are working on our escape plan and plan to be out of here by 2011.

I have traveled thorughout the country and my work takes me all over the southeast and I can say I never have encountered more disrespectful and self-centered people than in FL. Not only did I lose myself for a while, but this place started to make me lose my faith in people and in religion.

I considered myself a semi-religious Christian when I moved here, but I am losing all respect for religion after meeting so many people that look down on you from their high place for not worshipping with them on Sunday morning. Then they proceed to treat everyone like dirt the other 6 1/2 days of the week.

Good luck finding your way out of this cesspool of crime, greed, and laziness. We know where we want to go, but I am also working on a Plan B and Plan C in case our careers don't allow us to get where we want to go (which is why I stumbled upon this post). I have been to TN many times and understand why you find it to be a desirable place to live.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Wow. We've been there. Good luck to you. It can happen. If me and my family can make it out of Florida, anyone can. It was the best move we ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazinfl View Post
When I read this post, it really hit home. My wife and I moved to Florida three years ago (the other coast) and understand how you can lose yourself and your confidence in this place. We too are working on our escape plan and plan to be out of here by 2011.

I have traveled thorughout the country and my work takes me all over the southeast and I can say I never have encountered more disrespectful and self-centered people than in FL. Not only did I lose myself for a while, but this place started to make me lose my faith in people and in religion.

I considered myself a semi-religious Christian when I moved here, but I am losing all respect for religion after meeting so many people that look down on you from their high place for not worshipping with them on Sunday morning. Then they proceed to treat everyone like dirt the other 6 1/2 days of the week.

Good luck finding your way out of this cesspool of crime, greed, and laziness. We know where we want to go, but I am also working on a Plan B and Plan C in case our careers don't allow us to get where we want to go (which is why I stumbled upon this post). I have been to TN many times and understand why you find it to be a desirable place to live.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:54 PM

24 posts, read 43,835 times
TN Gal, yes, I know that Tennessee will welcome me back with open arms. Right now I'm not sure that I can swing it financially. But eventually I should be able to afford it. Many people just don't understand my need to leave Florida and go back to Tennessee. It's frustrating when they don't understand. I think that most Tennesseans would understand, though. Thank you for your message.

Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
on your trip and potential move. I was born in FL and lived there until I moved to TN. There is a huge cultural difference as well as many others. I understand and sympathize with how difficult it must be for you.

TN will welcome you back with open arms : )

Old 09-20-2009, 03:00 PM

24 posts, read 43,835 times
Default Florida as a cesspool of greed

I agree with your comment that Florida is a cesspool of greed--hence the housing bust hitting here so hard. From what I understand, the east coast of Florida is even worse than the Gulf side. So maybe I should count my blessings. I need to have an escape plan, too. Getting here was a lot easier than getting out due to finances. But I think that if I'm determined, where there's a will, there's a way.

Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazinfl View Post

Old 09-20-2009, 03:21 PM

783 posts, read 1,139,678 times
]I am a native Floridian, born in Miami, spent 33 yrs there and then lived in Ocala for over 25 yrs. I moved to TN two yrs ago and wouldnt live in FL ever again. My family pioneered FL and I loved growing up there, we were brought up with southern values, Baptist religion and especially with manners. FL started slowly changing around the 60's and 70's and now its just horrible. I dont understand why anyone WANTS to live there, I understand "having" to live there.

I left all my kids, grandkids and sister in FL and although I miss them like crazy I let them come visit me, I have no desire to go back, went back last Oct and driving back I felt like I was leaving a place I didnt want to be and going "home", It was and is a nice feeling to say I'm a "Tennessean"

Old 09-20-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailli View Post
]It was and is a nice feeling to say I'm a "Tennessean"
It's a wonderful thing, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville