Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 02:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic_hombre View Post
I'm terribly sad that you are not happy in St. Pete. I lived in FL, then Knoxville (25 years), and now FL again. Granted, I have only been here in Pinellas 7 months, but this area has tremendous advantages. Think of Ft. Desoto, endless beaches, countless restaurants, amazing sunsets, refreshing summer downpours, professional sports, year-round-golf, deep sea fishing, cruises, international airport, urban grit and home-town feel (Pasco), mild winters, and diverse groups of people. If the absence of family is making you homesick, I understand. Knoxville also has far less of a homeless problem, but you will still see people carrying the "I will work for food" signs, especially near Turkey Creek. I don't want diminish your concerns, but Knoxville versus the Tampa Bay area--are you kidding me? Look inside. Think of why you moved to FL. Tackle one major problem at time. Moving again is very expensive--especially during bad economic times. Best of luck.
Homeless in Turkey Creek? Now I have heard everything.

Your post is definitely from someone that has just arrived in Florida. Give it two years. If, by then, you decide that you still like Florida better than Knoxville, I will say that you were never meant for Knoxville to begin with.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:31 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,121 times
Wow, am I ever glad I came across this thread. I too am a So. East Fla. native and everytime I post something negative in the Fla. forum I get flamed and told there must be something wrong with me for not loving "paradise". I truly despise living in Fla, besides the beaches I can't think of one redeeming feature. The ppl and the weather are terrible and I find myself in tears, often of frustration, as we have been stuck down here due to employment and financial reasons. But, I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as we will finally be able to move in the next yr or two, and it can't come soon enough! My family is from the Midwest, we(my mom and I) are honest, condiderate, caring, and very down to earth non-superficial ppl. We do NOT fit in here and never have. We are desperately looking for a place to relocate. We looked at CO and NH but both are looking to be too expensive and employment is hard to come by in Northern NH. Maybe East TN would be the right fit for us. My mom will be retireing from almost 40yrs of teaching and I will probably be working in health care. I hope TN hasn't been "discovered" yet like NC. We love mountains and simple living. Could this be the right fit? I'm truly sorry if this post came off to negative, I'm just very frustrated and really want to start a new chapter in my life in a more hospitable environment. To the OP, good luck and follow your dreams no matter what anybody says!

Old 12-25-2009, 05:57 PM

190 posts, read 492,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Homeless in Turkey Creek? Now I have heard everything.

Your post is definitely from someone that has just arrived in Florida. Give it two years. If, by then, you decide that you still like Florida better than Knoxville, I will say that you were never meant for Knoxville to begin with.
I'm referring to the Lovell Road on-ramp in Knoxville--just down the street from the Turkey Creek shopping center. This exit is taken by the majority of people who travel from Knoxville to the shopping center. There are drifters there almost everyday. I was born in FL and lived in various parts of the state. I will say that I know the differences between FL and TN (I worked all over TN). While in Knoxville, I planned for at least 5 years to find a more progressive area to live. Knoxville had little to offer me, but it is not the worst place in the South to live (e.g., Tazewell, TN). The Smoky Mountains and Cherokee National Forest provide some of best benefits of living in the area. I spent many summers jumping off that giant rock into the river at the Sinks. The various lakes are also nice. As you can see, I am a nature lover. I also attended plenty of Vol football games. Now, FL has an abundant supply of outdoor activities and sports. We have one hell of a football team. Now, I will never say that I won't move back to Knoxville. My parents and some close friends live there. I am just trying to present the writer with my view--which may or may not be relevant to her situation. If she moved back/moves back, she can always return to FL if desired. We welcome people from anywhere.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:02 PM

It might be! You and I have come across each other in the General US forums, I think.

Anyway, it very well could fit. My husband is originally from The Midwest and I am from The Northeast. I was a bad fit for Florida, too.

No, Knoxville has not been discovered, yet. I moved here in 2005 because it looked like North Carolina, especially Charlotte, was going to be invaded by a bunch of folks I was trying to avoid! It seems like people that want to escape Florida because of the rudeness, etc., do very well here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Wow, am I ever glad I came across this thread. I too am a So. East Fla. native and everytime I post something negative in the Fla. forum I get flamed and told there must be something wrong with me for not loving "paradise". I truly despise living in Fla, besides the beaches I can't think of one redeeming feature. The ppl and the weather are terrible and I find myself in tears, often of frustration, as we have been stuck down here due to employment and financial reasons. But, I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as we will finally be able to move in the next yr or two, and it can't come soon enough! My family is from the Midwest, we(my mom and I) are honest, condiderate, caring, and very down to earth non-superficial ppl. We do NOT fit in here and never have. We are desperately looking for a place to relocate. We looked at CO and NH but both are looking to be too expensive and employment is hard to come by in Northern NH. Maybe East TN would be the right fit for us. My mom will be retireing from almost 40yrs of teaching and I will probably be working in health care. I hope TN hasn't been "discovered" yet like NC. We love mountains and simple living. Could this be the right fit? I'm truly sorry if this post came off to negative, I'm just very frustrated and really want to start a new chapter in my life in a more hospitable environment. To the OP, good luck and follow your dreams no matter what anybody says!

Old 12-25-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic_hombre View Post
I'm referring to the Lovell Road on-ramp in Knoxville--just down the street from the Turkey Creek shopping center. This exit is taken by the majority of people who travel from Knoxville to the shopping center. There are drifters there almost everyday. I was born in FL and lived in various parts of the state. I will say that I know the differences between FL and TN (I worked all over TN). While in Knoxville, I planned for at least 5 years to find a more progressive area to live. Knoxville had little to offer me, but it is not the worst place in the South to live (e.g., Tazewell, TN). The Smoky Mountains and Cherokee National Forest provide some of best benefits of living in the area. I spent many summers jumping off that giant rock into the river at the Sinks. The various lakes are also nice. As you can see, I am a nature lover. I also attended plenty of Vol football games. Now, FL has an abundant supply of outdoor activities and sports. We have one hell of a football team. Now, I will never say that I won't move back to Knoxville. My parents and some close friends live there. I am just trying to present the writer with my view--which may or may not be relevant to her situation. If she moved back/moves back, she can always return to FL if desired. We welcome people from anywhere.
I work off of that exit and have never seen anyone that was homeless. Must have been the timing. I mostly work out of my home and I am not there all the time.

But that doesn't say that Knoxville has a homeless problem. The COUNTRY has a problem with the homeless sitting at highway exits. I saw the most in Orlando, to tell the truth.

I'm a Massachusetts progressive. Born and raised. And I love Knoxville. They are very accepting. The most backward folks (read: prejudiced) I ever met were transplants that lived in Fort Myers, Florida.

And I would rather be outside in East Tenn. than the humid hell-hole of Florida.

But hey, some places work for some folks and some don't. Thank goodness. I don't want everyone living here. Truly.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:55 AM

190 posts, read 492,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I work off of that exit and have never seen anyone that was homeless. Must have been the timing. I mostly work out of my home and I am not there all the time.

But that doesn't say that Knoxville has a homeless problem. The COUNTRY has a problem with the homeless sitting at highway exits. I saw the most in Orlando, to tell the truth.

I'm a Massachusetts progressive. Born and raised. And I love Knoxville. They are very accepting. The most backward folks (read: prejudiced) I ever met were transplants that lived in Fort Myers, Florida.

And I would rather be outside in East Tenn. than the humid hell-hole of Florida.

But hey, some places work for some folks and some don't. Thank goodness. I don't want everyone living here. Truly.
If you're a real estate salesman, I'm sure anywhere but TN is a "humid hell-hole." And, I'm sure you haven't seen homeless people on your exit. Progressives tend to promote tolerance. For the lady who posed the question about leaving St. Pete for Knoxville, I suggest that you take hiknapster's views, which he is entitled to, with a grain of salt. For example, right now in St. Pete its a rather cool 59 degrees with 67% humidity. The moderate humidity level keeps your hands and lips from cracking. Knoxville, especially during the summer, has extremely humidity, near 100 degree heat, and many air quality alert days--I won't go into what this means for people with asthma and allergies. In addition, those gorgeous mountain escapes have become a traffic nightmare--even in Townsend. Well someone has made me focus on the negative, so I must say something positive about Knoxville. You won't find a nicer Spring time in Knoxville with the dogwood's, Bradford pears, etc. blooming.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:31 AM

galactic hombre, I've been a real estate agent for a little over a month. I've been on this forum for over three years. I call it like I see it. Always have.

And I can tell you that my opinion of Florida has never wavered. Not for a minute. But I don't have to sell anything. The people from Florida that are searching for info about TN already have their opinions made up. I'm not telling them something they don't already know.

And no, I don't think Massachusetts is a hell-hole, humid or not.

And yes, spring in Tennessee is stunningly beautiful. I've been saying that for my entire tenure, too.

If you like where you live now, that is great. Everyone should find "their" place.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-27-2009, 05:20 AM

37 posts, read 77,399 times
Default Progressive ??

To: Mr Galactic Hombre,

Please excuse my E Tn ignorance, but, what is it you mean by "progressive" ?

Here's a few things I had noticed, upon living here vs south florida.

"Merry Christmas" is still alive and vibrant.

"Have a blessed day" is a very common departing comment, even after a brief conversation with a total stranger.

Folks around here support the, as in THEE only Football team, which is the Volunteers.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Here's the south florida version of all the above:

"Happy Holidays" ( as Merry Christmas has been out-lawed )

Commomn comments: "*********", "up yours," "I was here first"
and..... there are some I can not type here, for various reasons, up to and including they are googlymuck not resembling the English language.

The local football team was known as the Dolphins, spelled J-E-T-S
__________________________________________________ ____________

I absolutely love living here, and yes, it's not for everyone, THANK GOD.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:42 AM

12 posts, read 27,631 times
I lived in Florida for 32 years. Moved to knoxville Tenn. for 2 years. Did not like it so well. Moved back to the Melbourne, Florida area and would never leave Florida again. People here say Merry Christmas. Maybe living down in South florida is different.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:49 AM

12 posts, read 27,631 times
Galatic hombre,

you hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!!!!!! I too lived in knoxville for awhile you are right about the homeless. But that is happening no matter where you live. So sad!!!!!!!! I would not trade living in Florida for all the money in the world!!!!!! It's not perfect but it's better than alot of places!!!!!!!!!! The best thing about knoxville is seeing it in your rearview mirror heading south!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville