Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:13 PM

374 posts, read 945,044 times

Advertisements

on your trip and potential move. I was born in FL and lived there until I moved to TN. There is a huge cultural difference as well as many others. I understand and sympathize with how difficult it must be for you.

TN will welcome you back with open arms : )

Old 09-04-2009, 08:55 PM

24 posts, read 59,940 times
Default more on Knoxville vs. St. Petersburg

A friend of mine here in St. Petersburg has suggested that my continued interest in moving back to Knoxville is somehow irrational and obsessive. Any comments?

Cheryl

Old 09-04-2009, 08:58 PM

24 posts, read 59,940 times
Default TN girl now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
on your trip and potential move. I was born in FL and lived there until I moved to TN. There is a huge cultural difference as well as many others. I understand and sympathize with how difficult it must be for you.

TN will welcome you back with open arms : )
Thank you so much, TN girl now. I can tell that you understand the vast differences between Florida and Tennessee. It's nice to hear from someone who understands.

Do you have any more details about how you made the Great Escape from Florida?

Cheryl

Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 PM

Default I won't go into

details of how I made the move to TN, but will share that my first vist here was with a church youth group to a conference Kingsport, then on to Milligan College in Johnson City. I was fourteen at that time. I didn't get to move here until I was 31.

You'll find your way back. Keep the faith.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl A. Koski View Post
A friend of mine here in St. Petersburg has suggested that my continued interest in moving back to Knoxville is somehow irrational and obsessive. Any comments?

Cheryl
Why? What does she feel is irrational? Personally, I think that people that obsess over moving to Florida are nuts, but that is definitely a biased opinion.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:15 AM

30 posts, read 51,239 times
Question Remorse

I'm with yall. I am in Clovis,Ca and cannot get my wife out of here. I bought a new house in Seymour, Tn 1.5 yars ago and renting it out.
I want to go ASAP! What does a fella do?

Old 09-05-2009, 03:08 AM

231 posts, read 585,542 times
I think people obsess about moving to Florida because they haven't lived here. Let me think of all the alluring qualities: Hurricanes, traffic congestion, rude drivers, zero lot line cooker-cutter sub divisions, increasing property taxes even with declining real estate value, corrupt polliticians, smothering summer heat, daily afternoon thunderstorms, mosquitos, violent crime, vagrants, egotistical self-absorbing attitudes.

Tennessee: Helpful and caring people, beautiful countryside, affordable housing, lakes, mountains, waterfalls, state parks, the colors of fall, tranquility of winter, optimism of spring, patriotisim, community involvement, etc., etc., etc.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:02 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by as3369 View Post
I think people obsess about moving to Florida because they haven't lived here. Let me think of all the alluring qualities: Hurricanes, traffic congestion, rude drivers, zero lot line cooker-cutter sub divisions, increasing property taxes even with declining real estate value, corrupt polliticians, smothering summer heat, daily afternoon thunderstorms, mosquitos, violent crime, vagrants, egotistical self-absorbing attitudes.

Tennessee: Helpful and caring people, beautiful countryside, affordable housing, lakes, mountains, waterfalls, state parks, the colors of fall, tranquility of winter, optimism of spring, patriotisim, community involvement, etc., etc., etc.
Perfect post.

Yet, there are people that wouldn't move from Florida to East Tennessee for all the tea in China. I guess it's a good thing. Otherwise the hordes of poseurs would be in my backyard. Yikes!

I use our daughter as an excuse for why we moved to East Tennessee but the truth is I couldn't have survived there even if I were retired.

I think it is the difference between an authentic and a superficial area. The people up here are real and I fully expect them to be here next week whereas in Florida your neighbor could pull out in the middle of the night and you might not even notice right away.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:23 AM

Default Being from FL

I feel compelled to speak a little in defense of the native Floridians - since I am one. Although FL is geographically a southern state, in reality it is mostly comprised of people who have moved there from all over the country, largely the northeast and north central states. That alone has changed the atmosphere radically and caused an extreme density in population in certain areas. Add to that the get-rich-quick developers, snow-birds who go for several months and think they have a "say-so" in how things ought to be, or how "we do it this way back home" and you will see why discussion of FL's hospitality is somewhat skewed.

I grew up in a small Tampa Bay town in the 1950s and 60s. I watched the area change, as noted above, and moved to central FL in the early 1970s. I had fallen in love with TN in 1965 but didn't get here til 1982. FL has changed even more radically since I left.

FL has trapped itself in the tourist industry. All over the state locals are pitted against retirees for jobs, which are often low-paying because they CAN be filled by a retiree - who doesn't depend on a paycheck to pay expenses and sometimes just wants to work for "entertainment." They made their money earing high wages somewhere else, move to FL and think people (locals) should be "grateful" they go there to spend it.

So, if the people there seem rude, don't blame all Floridians - they probably aren't from Florida anyway. And if the native Floridians are sometimes rude, they just might be entitled to a chunk of resentment for those who moved there from "somewhere else" and changed their way of life forever.

As I write this, I believe that I can truly empathize with the locals of E TN, particularly Sevier County, and hope that as a transplant I've been able to be respectful of the culture.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl A. Koski View Post

Cheryl
Gosh no! I see people on the Portland Or forum all the time who are so desperate to move to Portland they actually get angry when people try to warn them about the bad job situation or anything else negative about the area. Some have never been to Portland but are going only by a reputation about which they have only heard.

That's obsession!

You have tried both and have made an informed decision. There is nothing irrational about that. I wish you luck in moving back if you so chose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville