U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:35 AM

10 posts, read 11,191 times
Smile Relocation Help Please...

Hello all you fine TN people....I recently received a job offer in Knoxville, which I am so very excited about because I love that area of TN. My family and I came to your area last year around this time and I absolutely fell in love, it is an amazing place. We have done alot of traveling and no place compares...The combination of the scenery, things to do, and the great people. I could not believe how amazing the people in this area are. I am from MN and I tell you people here are not even close to as nice as they are there...

Anyway, We did not actually go in to Knoxville when we came last year, we actually spent most our time in the Sevierville area, and in the mountains. We are coming to Knoxville next month to check it out, I am just thinking we may want to live somewhere right outside of Knoxville as my husband really isn't in to the big city..And, I guess I would rather not live in a big city.

So, my question to you is...what do you think the best place on the outskirts of Knoxville is? We would like to get a place with at least 1/2 an acre...and we have a daughter who is now 12 soon to be 13 so I would like someplace that has a good school...

Any advice would be so wonderful...Thank you
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 06:50 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,398,295 times
Kay,

I'm a small town country girl born and raised in upstate NY. Over 3 years ago Bill and I moved to East town in Knoxville. I was a bit apprehensive about living in a "city". In the 3 years we've been in Tn. we have bounced around to different areas and last September we moved back to the complex we originally lived in when we first arrived in Tn.
Long story short, I find Knoxville to me is more like a big overgrown town then a city. Knoxville is a perfect fit for Bill and I and it comes with cab service, buses and shopping and the mall is less then a mile away. I come from a place where everything is at least 20 miles away. So I am thrilled that things are less then a mile away. I guess I'm trying to say don't discount Knoxville, you may be pleasently surprised.
All the best to you,
Pam

Old 08-12-2009, 06:57 AM

Thanks Pam,

We have not counted Knoxville out, but we kind of like the smaller towns. We will be checking Knoxville out though. We currently live in a city about 160,000 and that is getting a bit too big for us...but, like I tell my husband the people there are so different then the people here...I don't think I would mind a city of 160,000 in TN

Is there any section of Knoxville that is better than others?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:35 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,398,295 times
Kay,
I'm not even touching the qustion "which areas are better then others" as you will get a different answer from everyone on this board. It is all a matter of personal choice.Each area has its own vibe and personality.
Besides you'd need to define "better" in order to get a straight helpful answer. To me, my little area of East town is the best and there are some that wouldn't live in this area if you paid them to.
Pam

Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 AM

21,637 posts, read 31,051,084 times
I want to back up Pam on this.

I grew up in towns of about 12,000 people. Lived in those sort of places for 34 years.

I moved to Florida and lived in very big cities. Much bigger than Knoxville.

Knoxville is a city, but it is not. It is like a big town. This is the only place where I can go to the grocery store and run into someone I know. Almost always. I didn't even get that in the little towns that I lived in for most of my life. And we've only been in Knoxville for four years!

Now, we first rented out in Knox County, because I thought I would be more comfortable there.

First thing that you need to know is that you can be in a very rural area in 10 minutes, depending on which way you head out of downtown. Anyway, I decided that it was a little too rural for us. People were a bit clannish. Enough said with that.

So I ended up buying in north Knoxville, right in the city limits. However, you would never know it. I have a half-acre. Gorgeous. The neighborhood looks like from the set of "Leave it to Beaver."

Like Pam said. We need more info before we could ever suggest areas. Really, all are pretty good. Even their ghetto is very, very tame. I am very skittish about such places, on the verge of being absurd, but I don't hesitate to drive on through.

Really, you can't beat Knoxville. You just can't.

Addition: Sevierville is a tourist area. We are actually nicer!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:40 AM

Well thank you very much for the information...where I am at now it is getting bad, the gangs are starting to get worse (nothing like they are in CA or anything but bad enough for me), and a lot of drive by shootings in town.

So I guess when I say better, I guess I am mainly refering to crime...I just want better for my daughter.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:10 PM

101 posts, read 182,402 times
I just moved to Knoxville from Atlanta about 3 months ago. I agree with the previous posters who say that Knoxville is like an overgrown town. There is really nothing that "metropolitan" about it. I have enjoyed my stay here so far. I live in West Knoxville, which would probably be considered one of the busier areas of Knoxville (if not the busiest ... which is nothing compared to Atlanta, I still laugh when people complain about traffic). It really depends on where you are working in Knoxville. You can find a rural area within 10 minutes of just about anywhere in Knoxville, so you should have no problem. Your best bet is to look around on a real estate website, using the map and looking at places around your work area. Then drive around and look at all the areas to see what you like best.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,901,103 times
Knoxville has city amenities but not the city "grit." At least that's what I'd call it. You rarely see graffiti anywhere. Stores, even in the worst parts of town, rarely have bulletproof glass by the cashier or those metal curtains that they lock at night.
Teens don't drive around with the stereos blasting in their cars.
Strangers make eye contact and smile. You'll know your neighbors before you finish moving in.
And you don't get the miles of flat, tract housing that surround cities. There's no flat here.
I'd look in West Hills area. It's a 1960s suburb with big ranchers on big lots. Most of the homes have been updated through the years or you can find a bargain if one hasn't. The houses were originally custom built. Several parks, a huge YMCA within walking distance and close to West Town Mall and wide variety of shopping and restaurants.
It's also relatively flat and has lots of beautiful trees.
Schools would be Bearden Middle School and High School. Both are very good.
Look in zip code 37909.
And check out Kids U at University of Tennessee for your daughter. Lots of great non-credit courses for kids during the summer. Functions like a day camp. Everything from philosophy to forensic science.
There are also lots of things she can do during the school year, like art classes at the museum, potting at Mighty Mud, children's orchestra, etc.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Thank you everyone...City "grit" I like that I will look in to Knoxville more...sounds like it would be a great place for my daughter as well...I am so excited to come there in a few weeks, I was excited last year when we came, but now that I know what I am going to see when I get there, I am even more excited this time

Old 08-12-2009, 02:21 PM

21,637 posts, read 31,051,084 times
Oh yeah. I forgot about the schools. If you get into a very small town outside of Knoxville you very well might end up with bad schools. Knox County has a good school system, as does Maryville and Oak Ridge, according to other forum members.

Anyway, we have a nine-year-old so schools were very important to us.

We are all going to start talking up our areas, because we all love them so much. I live in Fountain City, right near Sterchi Elementary and I am very, very happy.

But there are so many areas.

We kind of need to know things like...

Do you like new homes?
Old homes?
Something in-between?
What's your price range?

Will you be working? Where? Don't know? Well, what do you do?

Do you like shopping?

What's your neighborhood like now?
Do you want something similiar?

That will give us something to start with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville