U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 PM

229 posts, read 924,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneman1963 View Post
I would come down for a visit first and test the waters. Is your family absolutely accepting of your out-ness? Since you left Tennessee, the conservatives have multiplied exponentially. East Tennessee puts the fun in Fundamentalist and Rush Limbaugh has a large following here.

Also, have you explored the work situation? Are you going to be looking for a job? Depending on what your degree is in, don't expect to get a job paying over $10 an hour. I don't wish to sound like a negative person, but explore your options. The grass is rarely greener on the other side of the fence.
My mom, dad, and sister are accepting. They are the only ones I care about really. My paternal grandmother and her husband are OK with it and my maternal grandfather with never know (his and my interest.) I am a conservative myself, I am a libertarian. I understand thats a far far FAR cry from the neo-con views that are rapant in the area, but Im hardly a liberal person. I'll be working with my dad or maybe at a bank. I'm a poli sci major so I doubt theres much there for me anyway. I'm not looking to get rich, I'm a simple person.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 5 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,031,864 times
The conservatives are not multiplying. In fact, there are more transplants from all over that are different religions, political persuasions, blah, blah, blah.

They haven't thrown me out yet, anyway.

Really, people get along with each other around here.

If you turn on WNOX and take it as personal effrontery, life here is going to quickly become bothersome. I just turn it off. And here's a heads up. I could listen to Rush Limbaugh in Massachusetts, too.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:26 PM

5,562 posts, read 9,325,665 times
Quote:
East Tennessee puts the fun in Fundamentalist and Rush Limbaugh has a large following here.
What!? This is crazy talk. East Tennessee is VERY libertarian. No, gay marriage is not gonna fly here. But we are FAR from a Rush Limbaugh-following state.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:27 PM

I'm just proud my dad and his wife wrote in Ron Paul. I did the same up here. :-)

I never imagined myself moving back down either. I was one that said, "I'll never be back!" It's amazing how things change, perhaps it's all for a reason.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:56 PM

12,544 posts, read 18,443,184 times
For those of us that grew up here, the mountains call us back home.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:05 PM

5,562 posts, read 9,325,665 times
Completely. I seriously can't imagine living somewhere outside of Appalachia. My heart and soul are here.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 PM

9 posts, read 14,669 times
Wow. I guess you will do well here then. I was assuming (wrongly) that you were not conservative.

I am a Christian, independent voter with some conservative leanings. I just remember how hateful people were to me when asked who I voted for in the 2004 election. I mentioned that I did not vote for Bush. People at work were like "well, you just need to move to Canada if you don't like it here". At that time, it seemed like treason to admit to disagreeing with the government. It got around that I didn't vote for GW and these co-workers were saying things like "you are a god-forsaken, heathen liberal", "communist" and "you can't be a Christian if you vote democratic".

So when you all say that East Tennessee doesn't lean towards Neo-conservatism, I must respectfully disagree. I am out and about a lot in many of the rural counties in ET and I see very little tolerance for any one who is different from the status quo. I am sure it is this way everywhere and I just count my blessings that I don't live in Alabama or Mississippi.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 5 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,031,864 times
I hope you don't work with those people, anymore. Yikes!

Although very pretty, I try to stay out of the rural areas. Someone on the forum once said that the further into the woods you go, the weirder it gets. That about sums it up.

Quote:
Wow. I guess you will do well here then. I was assuming (wrongly) that you were not conservative.

I am a Christian, independent voter with some conservative leanings. I just remember how hateful people were to me when asked who I voted for in the 2004 election. I mentioned that I did not vote for Bush. People at work were like "well, you just need to move to Canada if you don't like it here". At that time, it seemed like treason to admit to disagreeing with the government. It got around that I didn't vote for GW and these co-workers were saying things like "you are a god-forsaken, heathen liberal", "communist" and "you can't be a Christian if you vote democratic".

So when you all say that East Tennessee doesn't lean towards Neo-conservatism, I must respectfully disagree. I am out and about a lot in many of the rural counties in ET and I see very little tolerance for any one who is different from the status quo. I am sure it is this way everywhere and I just count my blessings that I don't live in Alabama or Mississippi.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:

I agree with you on the political leanings. I believe the religious beliefs of people in the area tend to make them more neo-cons as opposed to libertarians.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:18 PM

185 posts, read 286,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkdoc View Post
I agree with you on the political leanings. I believe the religious beliefs of people in the area tend to make them more neo-cons as opposed to libertarians.
First of all, religion has nothing to do with neoconservatism. While the term has been redefined several times over the last 75 years or so, neoconservativism nowadays centers around a set of foreign policy principles. Face it, you threw out that term strictly in a pejorative way towards people of faith, and that's not welcomed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville