Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 38,953 times

Advertisements

HELP!

I have a wonderful vacation planned-- my wife and I are going to be staying in Knoxville and then driving over to Cherokee, NC and Bryson, NC to stay a few days and take some train rides. I had everything planned, but then she announced that she really doesn't want to drive any scary, steep mountain roads. I take it that 441 is out of the question? Is that too scary for the weak hearted? Do I have to cancel the trip, or is there any was to make it from Knoxville to Cherokee without going on any mountain roads. Are there even flat roads in this part of the country? HELP! We are/were supposed to leave in 3 days!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 10:43 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkkuolt View Post
HELP!

I have a wonderful vacation planned-- my wife and I are going to be staying in Knoxville and then driving over to Cherokee, NC and Bryson, NC to stay a few days and take some train rides. I had everything planned, but then she announced that she really doesn't want to drive any scary, steep mountain roads. I take it that 441 is out of the question? Is that too scary for the weak hearted? Do I have to cancel the trip, or is there any was to make it from Knoxville to Cherokee without going on any mountain roads. Are there even flat roads in this part of the country? HELP! We are/were supposed to leave in 3 days!!!
Flat roads in the mountains? That's a good one!

But you CAN take the interstate (I-40) into NC then take the Maggie Valley exit. You can get to Cherokee through Maggie Valley. That way, you'll be able to go from Knoxville to Cherokee on 4-lane highways the entire way.

But be warned, even the interstate is very curvy. It doesn't go up or down any steep grades, but there are tons of curves and even a couple of tunnels. It's also a very, very beautiful drive.

Enjoy!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:50 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Default well........

Well, that is a hard one to answer. No there is no way to get across the Smokie Mountain range which separates the two towns you are wanting to visit without going over or through (mostly over) the mountains. There is option of I-40 but then once you are in NC you would have to travel through Maggie Valley and Hwy 19, which IS steep and scarry or go all the way around on 73. However I would not say that 441 has "steep, scary mountain roads" It is a rather nice, slow going, due to traffic and sight seers, wide, well paved road with some shoulder on it. Don't know if that helps you any???
Here is an idea, show your wife these pictures and see if she thinks that is too "scary" of roads for her, maybe if she sees some of it first it won't be so bad?
Personally, I think the switchbacks of I-40 through the mountains with all the semi truck traffic is MUCH scarier that 441, up and over.
Here are some pics from 441.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-30-2007, 11:00 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Ah, I've not been on that route in years. Thanks for the pix, mbmouse! I'm going to have to get down that way soon!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 04:27 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for posting those pics....the 441 route doesn't look so bad. Do people ever have problems with brakes overheating on the way down? We drive a Saturn VUE (just got it-- only about 4000 miles on it, and it's the wife's "baby" ) and will not be towing anything except for a bike rack on the back trailer hitch. (no trailer!)

I'm going to show her the pics now. I've very worried that we'll have to find an alternate vacation... the train ride would have been wonderful, I think. Wish me luck!

And-- one more thing--- you mentioned the road between Cherokee and Bryson City? I've heard horror stories about this Maggie pass/road....... I'm afraid we'll get to Cherokee and then just sit there all day because she's scared to drive between the cities.....

Not sure what she's thinking now... she made some comment about driving the Texas instead?!?!?!?! Not sure that I like that idea......

Last edited by mkkuolt; 08-31-2007 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: additional question

Old 08-31-2007, 06:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Thanks for posting those pics....the 441 route doesn't look so bad. Do people ever have problems with brakes overheating on the way down? We drive a Saturn VUE (just got it-- only about 4000 miles on it, and it's the wife's "baby" ) and will not be towing anything except for a bike rack on the back trailer hitch. (no trailer!)

I'm going to show her the pics now. I've very worried that we'll have to find an alternate vacation... the train ride would have been wonderful, I think. Wish me luck!

And-- one more thing--- you mentioned the road between Cherokee and Bryson City? I've heard horror stories about this Maggie pass/road....... I'm afraid we'll get to Cherokee and then just sit there all day because she's scared to drive between the cities.....

Not sure what she's thinking now... she made some comment about driving the Texas instead?!?!?!?! Not sure that I like that idea......
I think it's a great ride, used to go from Atlanta to Pigeon Forge all the time with my family (never on hwy 40) and loved going throught the mountains! We've done it both winter and summer and the only issue we ran into was tourists stopping on the road to take pic's of bears. Your breaks will be fine and be sure to take a camera! Your wife will be so busy looking around she probably will forget to be worried...
Enjoy Cherokee!

Old 08-31-2007, 07:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:

Use 3rd gear on the way down and you will be fine. I can not count the number of times I have been from Gatlinburg to Cherokee( A LOT in the past 10 years) and never once had a break problem nor seen anyone having smoking breaks or anything like that but I have hear other folks tell of it, so best bet is lower gears and be on the safe side.
The road you are talking about between Bryson City (where my boys happened to be tonight actually ) and Cherokee is hwy (stated loosely)19. Yes, I avoid that too, now the 4 lane is opened though. Take 441 to 23/70 which is a nice, wide 4 lane road with shoulders that brings you right into Bryson City, easy drive.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:02 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
HELP!

Have a fun and safe trip. Just a warning to others; do not plan on driving this as easily during some of the winter weather months. These roads are frequently shut down and considered hazardous. My mom used to take us all the time over to Maggie Valley NC to ride the "Tweetsie Railroad". Good times, great memories.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:05 AM

61 posts, read 400,847 times
Fellow Vue owner and someone who has driven 441 to NC from Sevierville many times.

It's not a problem at all. I MUCH prefer to take that route than I-40 but due to the tourists I HAVE to take I-40 a couple of times per year. Someone mentioned the semi-trucks on the interstate, that is truly way more scary than the couple of turns on 441. Plus there are plenty of places to pull over to stretch your legs, take a picture or just enjoy the view.

I use a ton LESS gas taking 441 too. That is a plus. In my 93 Vue with a VTi transmission, there are a couple of spots going down that I shift it into low gear, just to keep from wearing the brakes. The speed limit is 35 mph pretty much the whole way over. (They have great signs that tell you what is coming, like a curve that is at 25 mph). Also, depending on the time of day and such you may want to take the bypass around Gatlinburg off the spur instead of going through downtown Gatlinburg. I like driving through G-burg but I don't like it when it takes 45 min. to get a couple of city blocks. The bypass is easy and much quicker, than you get straight onto 441 through the National Park. It's just before you get to Gatlinburg there is an exit off to the right, it's marked well.

You will enjoy the drive. Have a fun trip.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:17 PM

Default thanks!

Thanks all for your help!

The wife and I arrived back from our trip on Sunday. She would NOT let me drive up the mountain on 441, so we ended up paying a driver from "Rocky Top Tours" to take us over to a train ride in Bryson City. It was money well spent as I found the pressure changes in the mountain to give me bad headaches (I was having a terrible time with seasonal allergies!)

However, that being said, the mountains were NO BIG DEAL at all, and I'll have no hesitation to drive on them when we go back next year (hopefully). The wife has even said that she'll let us take the car now that she's seen it. Personally, I think that the freeways are much more dangerous then 441 was.... everyone was very respectful of the 35 mph speed limit (except for our Tour driver!! I definitely would have felt safer if I was driving! He went very, very, very fast at times!!!!)

Anyway, thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville