U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 18,920 times

Advertisements

hi all. currently my family and i live in SW Florida. My husband has his own painting and handyman buisness. But since the past hurricanes and so many contractors out bidding you bc everyone is desperate to get work. his buisness has Dropped. we are looking to move out of here and head to the mountains ,, just trying to find out info on Everyones opionion on where the best towns to look into,, i would like to live close to where its busy but have our home on the out skirts of the town that we can have our horses and a little acres.. not looking to spend alot . not more than 150.000. any help? i would greatly appreciate it,, also on the construction buisness up there and work?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 02:04 PM

24 posts, read 65,314 times
Smile Tn

Look into a town called Cleveland TN, its 20 minutes from Chattanooga. ( a nice size city) I am relocating there at the end of this month. Its a wonderful place to live. The home market is wonderful and so are the taxes and Insurance. I agree with you , Fl is getting out of hand. I see alot of familys leaving this year. I cant see any changes any time soon either. But TN has alot to offer and is a wonderful state. If you are looking for homes the zip code for Cleveland is 37312. Not sure on the work side, but since chattanooga is only 20 min, the job market should be good.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:06 PM

197 posts, read 933,885 times
Just a word of advice (based on my experience), make sure you know the job market before making assumptions....

TN has lots of young graduates from excellent universities and good paying jobs are very tight. Chattanooga / Knoxville are in the same boat.

Check it and you will see. Good luck to all of us trying to move to TN. I'm one of these folks and currently negotiating a job for the past 3 weeks.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:47 PM

I indicated I was not sure on the work side. However, Chattanooga since its a larger city may have more to offer. My parents have lived in Cleveland for 20 years, they did indicate to me the economy was strong and there are several fortune 500 co located in this area. I have seen approx 100 jobs avail for myself and my husband on monster jobs for this area. I guess it depends on the field of work your in.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:54 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,060,389 times
I'm from sourthwest Florida, too.

Hoosier07 gave wonderful advice. Make sure you have a job.

Monster is fine, I guess. But make sure that what you SEE is what you GET.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:30 PM

We both already have jobs waiting for us. Based on my parents knowledge of the area, with good companies too. Salary's the same too. So we are looking foward to the move and the financial savings.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:51 PM

197 posts, read 933,885 times
That's excellent.....good luck for you ! I just mentioned because I've seen some people moving without even seeing the place personally. That's scary !!!

Again...good luck !

Old 05-10-2007, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I am very excited!!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 07:34 PM

216 posts, read 628,756 times
I am in Red Bank TN. Moved here from SE FL. I love it but I wish I would have negotiated my pay better. I took a huge pay cut.
Compared to West Palm Beach FL our everyday bills are $660 cheaper a month here. We are renting. I have a 3/2 house with a garage that is $300 cheaper then our 2 bedroom apt in FL

Old 05-11-2007, 06:39 AM

390 posts, read 1,540,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal329 View Post
I am in Red Bank TN. Moved here from SE FL. I love it but I wish I would have negotiated my pay better. I took a huge pay cut.
Compared to West Palm Beach FL our everyday bills are $660 cheaper a month here. We are renting. I have a 3/2 house with a garage that is $300 cheaper then our 2 bedroom apt in FL
My husband was up there a little over a month ago and really loved the Red Bank area...How do you like it? We are going to start in an apartment (closer to Signal Mountain) and pay half of what we pay for rent here in Broward County (SE FL). Once we are sure of what area we want, we will look to buy. We are figuring are expenses will be about $1,000 less/mo. Thanks for your thoughts, in advance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville