Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 01:05 PM

10 posts, read 25,807 times

Advertisements

I (non Tennessee resident) am looking to buy a lakefront house in Watts Bar Lake. I don't like Kingston. For city like Rockwood, Ten Mile and Spring City, can anyone please tell me which city is better in terms of safety (crime and drug), convenience (supermarket and restaurant), how's the neighborhood like? any hospital? any water pollution? anything that I should be aware of? any better city?

All your tips and advice are valuable to my house search. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 03:28 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Ofront View Post
I (non Tennessee resident) am looking to buy a lakefront house in Watts Bar Lake. I don't like Kingston. For city like Rockwood, Ten Mile and Spring City, can anyone please tell me which city is better in terms of safety (crime and drug), convenience (supermarket and restaurant), how's the neighborhood like? any hospital? any water pollution? anything that I should be aware of? any better city?

All your tips and advice are valuable to my house search. Thanks.
Well I think Kingston is the nicest town on Watts Bar Lake, so I don't know what to tell you. What don't you like about Kingston? Whatever it is, I imagine that Rockwood and Spring City would be similar.

Kingston has a lot more conveniences than the other towns you mentioned and is also a lot closer to Knoxville which has a gazillion times more shopping, restaurants, and hospitals.

Spring City is probably the most isolated of those towns. Rockwood is rather run-down but at least it's close to I-40 and within easy access of West Knoxville although you have to go through Kingston to get there...

As for water pollution, the big TVA coal power plant near Kingston had a somewhat major environmental catastrophe about 10 months ago when thousands of tons of poisoned coal ash were flooded into Watts Bar Lake. But I imagine the farther downstream you go, the better it would be. That would give Spring City the edge.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:32 PM

17 posts, read 85,348 times
Just my two cents me and the wife bought lake front property in 2006 and watts bar is where we were looking but when we finally came out to east tennessee to start looking our real estate agent talked us out of watts bar lake because they said there was alot of industrial type buildings around the lake. being from chicago that was last thing we wanted. We ended up buying land on cherokee lake we really liked norris lake but was really far out from knoxville were we might need to go for work. Cant wait till the house sells here so we can finally get the new house going we are so ready to get out of this ---- hole.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 PM

10 posts, read 25,807 times
Hi JMT and tennesseebound,

Thanks for your replies. I visited Kingston a few weeks ago. I don't like Kingston because of the coal leakage issue that you mentioned. Also, the houses in Kingston seem much older. Kingston also has the city property tax on top of the county property tax. I agree with you that Kingston is convenient (close to highway and Knoxville).

I don't know there are lots of industrial buildings around Watts Bar Lake as I am not familiar with this lake (visited the lake once and just Kingston). That's why I posted this thread for advice.

I choose Watts Bar Lake instead of Douglas and Cherokee Lake because the water level at Watts Bar Lake drops only a few feet instead of 50 and 30 feets.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:57 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,651 times
I'd look at Ten Mile. Lots of really lovely lake property here, and it is farther from the TVA spill (10-15 miles). It is also just as convenient to west Knox as most of the lakefront in Rockwood (it takes quite a while to get to the interstate from the waterfront there). Ten Mile is not really a town, though--more of a postal address. I live in the area. Feel free to PM with specific questions.

BTW, the lake is a bit wider around Ten Mile, which is nice for boating of various sorts. You also have the reasonable option of heading down to Chattanooga or up to Knoxville for a water trip. Taxes are very low in Roane and Meigs County. If you went to Kingston but didn't go south of the river, you missed seeing the nicer lake country IMO.

If you really want an active town around you with lake front property, I'd look more towards Lenoir City or sections of Knoxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville