Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 04:44 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,215 times

Advertisements

OK, here's my situation, when I went to college, I decided that once I graduated I would move to Knoxville. The economy has slid, but I still haven't given up my dream. I think that Knoxville is a great place, and am really trying hard to move there. So here's my background to give some perspective:

• Graduated from the University at Buffalo 3.45 GPA
  • President of our College Republicans group (fairly big group)
  • Experience in the banking sector
  • Worked during my entire college career
  • Business Admin. major

So with that in mind, do you know of any places hiring? I'm pretty open to alot of positions, just frustrated!

Thanks for your help everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 05:10 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,729 times
Have you tried the UB Alumni site?

It may be a good idea to have a Knoxville mailing address and phone number to land jobs.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:27 PM

455 posts, read 670,265 times
Just curious, why did you pick Knoxville? Have you been here before? Most people I've met here that are transplants come from the Midwest or Florida. I have a 24 year old son who is currently at UT and doesn't like the area at all, after living in NJ. Bit of a culture shock.
We came here due to an employment change for my husband. Not a bad place, just wouldn't have been our first choice in deciding to relocate. It is a different vibe than upstate NY, just be sure to check the area out before you commit... Good luck in your job search.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I have a friend from upstate NY and she's lived here awhile and loves, loves, loves it.

I meet lots of people from that area that pick Knoxville a their first choice for relocation. I think it is the mix of affordable homes, decent unemployment rate, schools, and friendly people. We are also very accessible to the rest of the country, the taxes are low, low, low and the weather is divine.

I don't know if their was some article that was written about us in that area, a transplant that had lots of friends and family and the told them about or Knoxville or what.

I would try indeed.com. They usually have a decent amount of jobs to look through.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFAN View Post
Just curious, why did you pick Knoxville? Have you been here before? Most people I've met here that are transplants come from the Midwest or Florida. I have a 24 year old son who is currently at UT and doesn't like the area at all, after living in NJ. Bit of a culture shock.
Well I'm not from upstate NY, so it's all OK. I've been Knoxville, and really like it. Nice scenery, nice weather, friendly people. Good change of pace, etc.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Have you tried the UB Alumni site?

It may be a good idea to have a Knoxville mailing address and phone number to land jobs.
The Alumni site isn't all that useful, not now anyway. I thought about getting a local number, but then if I was asked in for a quick interview I'd have to make an 11 hour drive down, or fly, which I have neither the time nor the money for right now...

Old 05-29-2010, 09:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
There's a couple of schools of thought on that, and no definite answer, regarding using a local phone and address. Some employers don't like it because it can seem like you are a bit disingenuous. I don't think it is, but yes, I would want you to be able to come in to interview within a couple of days. I say be upfront in all things.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:27 AM

745 posts, read 1,719,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFAN View Post
I have a 24 year old son who is currently at UT and doesn't like the area at all, after living in NJ. Bit of a culture shock.
That seemingly could be remedied by simply transferring to a college in N.J. Your son's culture shock would be similar to that of one who left here and went to N.J. Culture shock, as you call it, cuts both ways.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:12 PM

Well application tips and relocation ideas aside, are there any places that you know of that I might be a fit for? I'm single, really don't need to make a million yet . Just need to pay rent, gas for my truck and a couple leisure activities...

I guess another question would be I'm also interested in Bristol/Johnson City/Kingsport is the economy any better up there? I also like it there too (I know this is the wrong forum technically, but ya'll are close enough right?(and yes, I am about about 1 of 5 people in this area that still has a drawl and says ya'll ))

Old 05-30-2010, 03:45 PM

455 posts, read 670,265 times
In reply to Weisgarber, I was trying to find out why Southbound 47 was considering Knoxville. As a young person coming from NY, he will find a different pace and a more limited range of employment opportunities for someone starting out than a more metropolitan area. I guess Buffalo is pretty far up there and probably not the upstate NY I am more familiar with, such as south of Albany.
As for my son transferring back to NJ, easier said than done. He's here because we are here. Family is important to him, not to mention losing quite a few credits to transer out of UT.
No offense intended, Knoxville is a very nice and friendly area. And it is true, if someone moved to NJ from TN there would be quite an adjustment also. It's not better or worse. Just different. Was just checking with Southbound to be sure he checked out the area first and wish him the best if this is the place he really wants to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville