Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 AM

37 posts, read 127,431 times

Advertisements

Looking to find a place in East Tennessee that is a Small Town,Low Crime,and Good-Safe Schooling. Also needing to find a Town that is low cost of living there. Where you can find a nice home,3bedroom for around 65 to 75k. Can anyone help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 AM

46 posts, read 131,557 times
I think it will be hard to find something in that price range while still looking for low crime rate. I would think you should stay close to the north. Have you searched on Realtor.com? There are some great real estate agents on this board that can help.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:23 AM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times
3 bedroom for 65-75? Tall order, but good thing you're into small towns as that's where you're gonna be headed. The only bad thing about living rurally is that the schooling generally sucks.

I would say look around in Greene County, Unicoi County, Hancock County, and Johnson County...

Old 10-14-2009, 11:32 AM

65-75k I know would be hard but that's really a guess I could see 80 or 85k but no higher and depends on how much I'm paying a month. I would like to go 25 or 30yrs and stay under $550month if at all possible.The schooling thing is I don't want my kids to be around violance and gangs in school.Of course I want a good education but I'd rather not learn as much and not be into drugs. Greene County, I like that one because I know where it is but never been into the town. I will look at these Counties. Are any of these counties hard to get a job right now because of the economy?Thanks for these reponses

Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times
Honestly, it is hard to get a job just about anywhere right now. If you are willing to get a job, any job no matter what field and not above retail and/or fast food, you could find something I'd think. Personally I think you best bet is to plan to rent for a while.....but even then, I think you might be hard pressed to rent for $550 a month for anything other than a 2 bed apartment...look around a bit, secure jobs, have savings with you, then worry about buying something, but that is just my 2 cents.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:09 PM

Right,I plan to rent for awhile maybe a 1 or 2 and secure a job and then buying a house. I've looked at some towns just wanted to know what yall thought. Big War Creek,Kyles Ford,Powell Valley,and Flag Pond. Can anyone tell me about some things in these towns?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:53 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
So Matt, have you considered a little further east?

Jobs might be a little tougher to come by here, but I think we meet all your other criteria. 80 -85K in the county with a decent credit rate ought to keep you pretty close to the $550 mark.

Quick idea of what's available now~
Moderator cut: deleted You know what they say about the worst house in the best neighborhood! Are you a handy kind of guy?

Moderator cut: deleted This one looks nice and is conveniently located.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by Beretta; 10-14-2009 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: sorry, no specific realtor sites allowed

Old 10-14-2009, 12:53 PM

The only one I can comment on is Flag Pond....NO work and long commutes through mountains (although a nice highway) to even the possibility of work in The Tri-Cities area.

add" Oh, and the majority of locals don't take kindly to "out siders" in and around Flag Pond.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 PM

Interesting,what do they do just don't talk to them? Is there jobs avaliable in Greene County,Hancock County,and Johnson County? Also which of those 3 would have the most work?

Last edited by Matt169; 10-14-2009 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: adding somethin

Old 10-14-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt169 View Post
Interesting,what do they do just don't talk to them? Is there jobs avaliable in Greene County,Hancock County,and Johnson County? Also which of those 3 would have the most work?
Not only just not talk to new comers, you might also find it difficult to get things done, like contractors, services and such and if you stop at a house to ask for directions, you might see the wrong end of a shot gun if they can't identify you at 50 paces.

As for the jobs, I know Greene County had some plant closings and/or cut backs so the unemployment numbers are up there right now. I know I could not find a job there 6 or 7 years ago when I lived there because I had a "long funny last name". (I am not kidding, I was told twice that was the reason I wasn't hired) Locals will almost always get the job first.
You can always check the newspapers on line for the areas you are looking at, that would give you an idea about jobs that maybe available in those towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville